Used 1998 Ford Windstar LX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

great van
By AMAZING VAN

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Bought this van back in 2001 and it has ran like a champ since then. It has had no problems in all the years I have owned it. The transmission is very strong I once was going down a hill and bumped it into reverse it shut of the engine but restated and kept on driving. I have put on 50,000 miles since then.

Engine and transmission

NONE

this is funny
By Tony

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

This is funny. I see all these bad reviews for a GREAT vehicle. Don't let these affect your purchase. I've put 130,000 miles on mine and only thing that went wrong was a rear wiper motor. The transmissions are fine as long as you service them correctly and aren't pulling your boat behind it. I bet if i asked all these people with tranny probs if they were towing with it, they'd say yes. It's a MINIVAN. Not a workhorse.

Very roomy.

More power outlets.

Solid
By jimmy463j

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

This vehicle has been one of the most dependable I've ever owned. We have put over 100,000 miles on it and have only had to do normal maintenance and replace the door switches twice. It's performance for a minivan is above average, in my opinion. I've driven Chrysler, GM, and Japanese minivans and none come close.

Solid handling, good acceleration, flexible interior, good cargo capacity, adequate passenger room, excellent safety, acceptable economy, excellent value for the price. I think they are undervalued because there are so many (victim of their own popularity).

They've been done on the newer models - (Freestar).

Oh, Man! I don't need this.
By oh, JOY!

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Up to 60,000 ran fine. (Got it at @30,000) Then: Brakes replaced. Brake light faulty. Traction engages inconsistently. Sides like paper - a rub is a $1000 dent. Engine light on and off, computer can't dx, head gaskets "might" leak - symptoms inconsistent. stuck with it for 6 more mos. I'd have given away from week 1 of driving it. Don't go there.

Really? None. It's ugly. Upholstery is impossible to maintain. Mechanical problems endless, at 65,000.

How about starting over? Ford declines support or responsibility - obviously faulty build.

Very Satisfied
By Stevenff

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Bought this 1998 Windstar with 89000 miles on it from a GM dealer. It was on their back row. The price was right. I have put on another 45000 miles with absolutely no problems. The only thing I have replace is tires. I really didn't expect this kind of service. Figured I would have to repair something, but everything keeps on going. Was afraid the lack of a 4th door would be a problem, but Ford's stopgap solution of a large driver's door and sliding driver's seat gives adequate access to left rear passenger seat.

Very comfortable on long trips. Excellent seating position. The rear quad seats are comfortable too. The front & rear heating and cooling is excellent. Fuel economy is better than I expected for such a large vehicle, 24- 27 mpg on the highway, 19 locally.

About the only thing I can think of is already done by adding a 4th door.