1998 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Exceeds expectations
By Jay Connor on 04/14/10 12:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

230,000 after 12 years & still going strong despite slight oil and radiator leaks. Very dependable 22mpg av. Drivers door damaged by 3rd party, $1,990 estimate to repair! Found complete salvaged door and professional paint job all for under $500. Easy to do. Four bolts and door is off, pull wiring harness out of body not door and unhook two snap connectors- interior trim comes off easily after extracting 4 screws, 3 on exterior last is visible when you extract control panel which snaps off. Had same dinging problem but in wet, caused by faulty sensors beside lock mechanisms. Highly recommend vehicle but you should change engine oil regularly, transmission oil and rear axle oil after 130,000

Transmission Hint for You
By C Perry on 08/10/09 13:30 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

It sounds like this vehicle is hit or miss with a lot of folks. For us, it's been a total hit with a few caveats. Bought used in '04 for $6k, from day one the cruise control didn't work and every once in awhile the dome lights will not turn off. Spray some W2-40 on all contacts for each door seems to fix (and a hint I read elsewhere). Otherwise, the master cylinder went out but no biggie. This thing holds a ton of stuff and is very roomy. It's been an awesome family car for us. Be aware there is 1 side door, not two like most these days.

Some problems with age
By Dan Meyers on 07/13/09 12:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

The car is not that bad. I purchased it new. Occassionally the Check engine light flares , due to ethanol fuel. Ethanol is corn,which attracts water. Disconnect the battery, remove the fuel filter, blow out the gas and water,add a bottle of Rubbing alcohol to only 5 gals of gas, reconnect the battery after 5 minutes to reset the ECM.and it's good for the next few weeks. If I can retrofit a glass bowl purge type system ,that might eliminate the water. Also, I just replaced that dual speed fan control switch for $38..and saved plenty. Ford said it'll cost about $800 . That little fan switch controls the A/C vacum doors, power brake boosters, speed control and other do dads. Running good now.

Workhorse
By PitbullDad on 07/05/09 16:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

We bought this with 32,000 miles on it at bank repo lot. Generally dependable. Hit a curb at about 80K and hasn't been the same since. Had struts replaced twice, many alignments, and tires wearing out fast. Now with AC compressor gone out and need for tires and alignment, time to say goodbye at 131,000 miles. Still would rather have an accident in this car than most others--solid body and safe. Hauled a popup and 16' fiberglass travel trailer from TX to FL to VA and around the area with no problems. Carb went in GA but otherwise a good family vehicle... Some paint lamination problems that FORD declined to warrantee at just over 36K. Not happy with Ford about that. Won't go with Ford again.

Ready for the Chop Shop
By Mia B. on 04/06/09 06:44 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

This car was great at first, but we spend more money on repairs than the car's actual value. Head gasket constant problem, finally died after hitting a pothole, knocking out its transmission. Gears get stuck, jolts when you start it up. Not a smooth ride.

Is Excellent Car
By Rene Cristales on 01/11/09 08:16 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

We bought GL model at 6 y/o w/115,000 on it. I must say it has always been very reliable. Started up every morning. I don't recall it ever breaking down on me. The engine on this is a vehicle. For a van, it has great power. The transmission too, has great power and pickup. My only problem with this van was it's A front heating system and ac front system. Interior lights go on, won't go off. A short in the abs system it ding with the key out. I have to punch the steering wheel to make it stop. Slide door dummy light stays on for a while after it's closed. But it was a comfort ride with room to spare. Great for a family and the van has 250,000 milles and still working fine

Great performer in the long run
By duke on 08/30/08 17:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

When you compare the low maintenance cost versus the three or four times maintenance cost of imports there is no comparison. For comfort the interior design of the Windstar served as a model for the coming years to other minivans. For fuel economy nineteen to twenty miles per gallon was ahead of its time in comparison to the other minivans. And when you become aware of the fact that after ten years or more many Windstars are still on the road. Whereas the Honda Odysseys, Susuki Oasis, Toyota Siennas, and the rest of that bunch have mostly been decommissioned even though their owners spend a lot more money on them trying to keep them alive. The contest is over. Windstar is the winner

Ok, It's a Van
By Muddman on 06/20/08 07:53 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

Bought this Windstar back in 2000 and have driven about 167000 miles with it. Only once did we have a tranny replaced, but I don't remember the mileage. Also had an incident when it refused to shift coming back from a ski trip in WV. Nursed it back, to find that it was a faulty computer chip. Have taken numerous trips to MI (about 1000 mile each way) and has always been solid. The only real issue with my van is that, in the summer it "bings" at you when the driver side door is open and continues to "bing" until you reach 15 mph. The whole time the interior lights will stay on, and the door ajar light stays on. Have had this problem twice. Aparently it's a harness in the steering colum.

Served me well
By Intel Timmy on 06/18/08 07:46 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

Look in any car buying guide and you'll read to stay away from this vehicle. My 3.8 liter Windstar served me well and all I can tell you is that I sold it a few months ago with 187,000 miles and I never had a problem with it. I religiously changed the oil and rotated the tires. It has tons of interior room, decent gas mileage and a pretty smooth ride. I hauled 1,100 lbs of bagged rocks behind the third row seat, numerous 4 x 8 sheets of drywall and other things and it kept going strong. Of course, I washed it once a week, waxed it twice a year and kept up the vehicle very, very well. I sold mine a few months ago for $2,000 and probably could have gotten more.

Never Let Me Down
By Started Every Time! on 06/11/08 17:12 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

We bought GL model at 6 y/o w/70,000 on it. I must say it has always been very reliable. Started up every morning. I don't recall it ever breaking down on me. The engine on this is a monster. For a van, it has great power and pickup. The transmission too, has great power and pickup. My only problem with this van was it's electrical system. My Aerostar had the same exact problem. Must be a Ford thing. Interior lights go on, won''t go off. A short in the steering column makes it ding w/ the key out. I have to punch the steering wheel to make it stop. Side door dummy light stays on for a while after it's closed. But it was a comfort ride w/room to spare. Great for a family of 5.