1998 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Beater still getting it
By Daddy on 07/01/10 18:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan 3dr Minivan

We bought this red wagon new because Mama needed a grocery getter and a young'n hauler. It's been a good machine. A few typical wear-and-tear items: water pump, alternator, a steering rack, brakes. All in all, not bad. Kids have puked in it and chewed holes in the upholstery. Automatic door locks quit working, and we've had some power window issues. Had to unplug the door sensors to keep the lights and bells off when door is closed, but I can fix the small stuff and we put up with the rest. Kids call it the "Beater." But it is paid for and is still kickin'. I keep the oil changed regularly and Mama keeps the interior clean. It's been "Ford tough." No major transmission or engine issues

Problems with Two Fords so far
By dawn on 06/30/09 17:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan 3dr Minivan

Our fam of 5, often drives from Denver to Spokane. We got the windstar after the trans on our explorer went out in the middle of WY, 100's of miles near nothing in the middle of the night. This week on the van we replaced the R&P, for DIY's this is inexpensive but difficult 100.00. And the power steering pump, a little difficult but inexpensive 60.00. The ABS light goes on and off for no reason. Dome lights don't always turn off, and door ajar stays on. Cruise control went out after it surged to 95, like the throddle got stuck. Shifts really hard. Lots of room for the kids, not much room for baggage in the back. You have to drop the engine to change plugs, wires

This van is a piece of junk
By Cocoamosh on 11/19/08 15:23 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan 3dr Minivan

This van was good for about 3 months and then it went to hell fast. Rack and pinion; power steering pump and struts-they all go together and its costly. I loved my van until about a week ago and got an estimate for repair. No wonder everyone says do not buy a Ford-Found On The Road Dead and some other words I can think of.

1998 Ford Windstar 3.0 L Passenger Van
By Barry Riordan on 03/15/08 20:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan 3dr Minivan

This van was my company van since new and its been a very reliable vehicle. I bought the vehicle from the company at 148,000 miles and haven't regreted it.The only thing major that went wrong was the fuel tank went bad. The vehicle now has 194,000 miles on it and has the original motor and tranny in it. I change the ATF fluid on a regular basis and also regular oil changes. Motor does not use a drop of oil between changes. Original front brake rotors did have to be replaced at 75,000 miles. We have taken numerous trips in the summer from PA to South Carolina with no problems whatsoever.

Windstar is bad after 50000
By Cody jo on 09/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I had problems with my van after 50000. Lots of small repairs

Works for us!
By randt on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan 3dr Minivan

Got the car in 2001 with 32,000 miles on it. It now has 120,000 miles on it and knock wood, no major problems. Twice replaced the brakes, but considering the mileage, can't complain.The same with the tires, replaced all 4..and keep on top of the fluids. The engine light used to be on all the time, but there were no symptoms so the old addage applied..and eventually it went off. We live in a frigid climate, and the car starts each day without a hitch..we have no complaints..and to be honest, I was afraid to buy a Ford.

Problem brakes and transmission
By keric on 11/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan 3dr Minivan

I've replaced the brake system four times on this van so far. The ABS system fails and the brakes wear very rapidly, requring a total replacement of parts including roters, drums, pads and anything else in the brake system. Very expensive! My co-worker who owned a 1997 version had the same trouble. I've also had to replace the transmission on this van once already.

Unility
By Harold Roberts on 06/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Like new, low milage

van
By gcbrandmeyer on 03/16/02 13:19 PM (PST)

great for carpooling