1998 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Good ol van
By IceBerge on 08/01/10 17:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 3dr Minivan

We've had this van for about 12 years now, buying it used from a rental car company, instead of an Explorer. Considering it's age and mileage it's held up quite well. Only real issues ore the common door sensor problem and the engine uses a little bit of oil, though no leaks. The car is extremely comfortable to drive, the ride is very smooth whether with just a driver or fully loaded with passengers. The seats are very comfortable and make longer road trips a easier thing to handle. The rear bench is a little heavy and cumbersome to remove but the middle captain chairs are as simple as can be. 107,000 miles and going strong, we plan on keeping this thing till it dies.

Keeping my fingers crossed
By dennis on 02/14/09 18:48 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 3dr Minivan

I have had seven Windstars over the past decade (presently own three) what can I say. Reliability has been great. Bought a 95 model with 175000 miles now is at 250000 and everything still works. Had gasket and bearing work done but that's about it. Nothing done to tranny or motor on any of the vehicles I have owned. Maybe my day is coming but for now it's been a good van for me.

Sorry to see it go
By sorrytoseeitgo on 01/06/09 16:34 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 3dr Minivan

Had 17000 miles when we bought it, now has 200000+. This has been a great van. Normal wear and tear repairs. It has been one of the most reliable cars I've had. Although it'd probable be just fine, long trips on high mileage makes me nervous with a family. Someone is going to get a great used van at 200000+. Will probably keep it in the family!

10 Years Ownership
By B Whitcomb on 08/18/08 18:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 3dr Minivan

Good reliable engine, no oil burner and exceeded EPA estimates on highway achived 26 MPG on highway. A lot of interior noise. Removable second and third row seats very heavy. Brakes marginal. Tow package for 3500 lbs worked well. No major failures in 203000 miles. Seat cushions on front driver side did not retain cushion. Radio AM reception poor.

Last Ford
By chris D on 12/28/05 16:52 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 3dr Minivan

We purchased the vehicle new from the dealership and had great luck until about 30,000 miles. We then kept having basic problems including continual brake problems, Blown head gasket, Intake manifold, Electrical problems on windows and door locks. I have spent an additional $6,000 over 7 years to keep it running with no help from Ford. At this point, 113,000 miles, I will keep it because it's not worth anything unless the transmission or something else goes. This is my last Ford, they have made a loyal Toyota customer from me.

Good, but....
By JSBNews on 10/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 3dr Minivan

This has been a good vehicle, considering it was an emergency purchase, but I wouldn't buy one again. It's all over the road, and has some funny quirks even my mechanic can't figure out. Great for hauling people and stuff, but not very fun to drive.

Excellent Reliability
By Gary S on 11/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 3dr Minivan

I have driven my 1998 Windstar 142,000 miles. The only maintenance has been normal items such as oil changes, new brakes, etc. Not a single problem with engine, transmission, or other mechanical items. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Love my Windstar
By mal_racegal on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 3dr Minivan

Smoothest riding vehicle I've been in as far as a minivan goes. Love it!

Fords Confusion
By SLM98 on 04/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 3dr Minivan

I bought this van from a family friend who sells cars. Little did I know it would cost me $3000 a year in repairs to keep it going. I foolishly bought it because it looked good and I thought Ford meant quality. It seems 50,000 miles is about as long as atransmission will last. My coworkers soon informed me of numerous expensive problems they had, head gaskets blown, steering racks going, springs breaking, air conditioning controls breaking, etc....etc. And Ford standing there saying we stand behind our product. Aw shucks can't help its past warrenty. Stay away even if it's a freebie.

Windstar what a true american whould luv
By Adnan on 01/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 3dr Minivan

once i was in the inside of a 2002 Grand caravan sport(fully equipped) and belive me the windstar was more attractive to costumers at that place