1998 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
great van
By AMAZING VAN on 03/04/10 18:36 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought this van back in 2001 and it has ran like a champ since then. It has had no problems in all the years I have owned it. The transmission is very strong I once was going down a hill and bumped it into reverse it shut of the engine but restated and kept on driving. I have put on 50,000 miles since then.

this is funny
By Tony on 02/12/05 21:20 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

This is funny. I see all these bad reviews for a GREAT vehicle. Don't let these affect your purchase. I've put 130,000 miles on mine and only thing that went wrong was a rear wiper motor. The transmissions are fine as long as you service them correctly and aren't pulling your boat behind it. I bet if i asked all these people with tranny probs if they were towing with it, they'd say yes. It's a MINIVAN. Not a workhorse.

Solid
By jimmy463j on 01/26/05 13:02 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

This vehicle has been one of the most dependable I've ever owned. We have put over 100,000 miles on it and have only had to do normal maintenance and replace the door switches twice. It's performance for a minivan is above average, in my opinion. I've driven Chrysler, GM, and Japanese minivans and none come close.

Oh, Man! I don't need this.
By oh, JOY! on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Up to 60,000 ran fine. (Got it at @30,000) Then: Brakes replaced. Brake light faulty. Traction engages inconsistently. Sides like paper - a rub is a $1000 dent. Engine light on and off, computer can't dx, head gaskets "might" leak - symptoms inconsistent. stuck with it for 6 more mos. I'd have given away from week 1 of driving it. Don't go there.

Very Satisfied
By Stevenff on 03/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought this 1998 Windstar with 89000 miles on it from a GM dealer. It was on their back row. The price was right. I have put on another 45000 miles with absolutely no problems. The only thing I have replace is tires. I really didn't expect this kind of service. Figured I would have to repair something, but everything keeps on going. Was afraid the lack of a 4th door would be a problem, but Ford's stopgap solution of a large driver's door and sliding driver's seat gives adequate access to left rear passenger seat.

It's a Keeper
By cwnow on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

This van has been wonderfull. It is reliable and fun to drive. I use it daily for business, then hope in for weekends on trips with the family. I have had fairly minor problems with the vehicle over time. The only real gripe I have is that the paint job has begun to fade, but being red and in the Florida Sun this was to be expected.

Top of mtn @ 70000
By coolgolfer21 on 01/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Purchased used w/17000, beautiful easy enjoyable ride until 70000 miles, then problems. Rebuilt tranny, dozen trips for "service engine lite". All that finally fix (at my cost) and now smooth sailing again. Never fails otherwise, trading for another but four doors this time.

Great Minivan!!!
By TexMorgan on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

We purchased our van new and have owned it for 4 years now. This is a great driving vehicle! Plenty of power and a very smooth ride with decent handling. Good quality materials inside and out. We have had very few maintenance issues other than normal wear/tear items (brake pads/rotors turned twice). Purchased an extended warranty after mfg warranty expired just in case. (Would recommend for anyone buying used) You get alot of vehicle for the money in my opinion. Highly recommend!!