1996 Ford Windstar LX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1996 Windstar Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Sort Reviews by

Not a bad little van at all
By Mrsnspectr

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

Purchased in 2001 and have put about 11,000 miles on it with no problems. I was worried because I had read that many Windstars, mostly other years, were bad for blowing head gaskets, but we haven't had a bit of trouble out of it, and we have made several out of state trips. We also have a DJ/Karaoke business, and when we remove the rear seat, our equipment fits perfectly.

Favorite Features

Plenty of room - 6 of us plus a large dog recently made a 600+ mile round trip and it was pretty comfy. LOVE having the rear air.

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice if the appearance wasn't quite so "homely".

Good Van
By windstarok

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

We purchased our Windstar new in '96. Just before the 36K mile warranty ran out, I had 2 minor items fixed (tailgate struts and a side-view mirror) I had the transmission fluid and filter replaced at the dealer and the trans checked out a-ok. About 2 months later (after the warranty ran out) the transmission failed. Upon reviewing my case and service records Ford readily paid 90%. This was the only problem until 85K miles(EGR and Oxygen sensor) and at 90K with a cracked engine sub-frame (odd). I've spent $900 in repairs (except routine maintenance)& 3 weeks in the shop for 6 years and 90K+ miles on a van that I saved $4,000 off a Honda or Toyota.

Favorite Features

Room, comfort, power

Suggested Improvements

Better handling! Leans too much in turns

Head Gasket and Trans. nightmares
By nevr by a ford again

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

Head Gasket went out at 55,000 miles. Transmission died at 90,000. Speedometer died at 110,000, All 4 ABS sensors went out by 45,000, Rear AC works on occasion. Loud and rough shifts before and after trans was replaced. Alternator, fuel pump, and battery all were prematurely replaced. I BEG ANYONE WHO WOULD EVER CONSIDER BUYING A FORD PRODUCT TO JUST REVIEW THE COMMENTS OF WINDSTAR OWNERS.

Favorite Features

Car is a comfortable highway driver, when it is running. Fuel economy was reasonable at 20mpg, again when the POS was working.

Suggested Improvements

No comment as I would NEVER buy a FORD product again based on what happened to me with this one. Also found FORD completely unsympathetic.

The van that sucked.
By The Money Pit

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

This is the absolute worst vehicle I have ever owned. Check engine light is on constantly. We have had to replace oxygen sensors multiple times. The transmission completely overhauled at 78,000 miles. The last draw was when the tranmission failed again at 88,000 miles. Shame on Ford for manufacturing such a piece of crap.

Favorite Features

Comfortable for travel

Suggested Improvements

Follow the lead of the Japanese manufacturers..... Get it right the first time!!!!!!!

Windstar
By tigger

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

Call me an idiot but I bought another 3.8 engine. I have a Ford Thunderbird with 3.8 engine and had the head gaskets replaced and now I'm changing the head gaskets on a 96 Windstar. Neither case has ford offered to help. I find it very funny that they say it is because of maintenance. I do my own maintenance. I changed the oil every 2,000 miles on the Thunderbird and followed the maintenance manual for flush and fills of the anti-freeze. My advice to anyone is stay away from Fords. If you do buy a Ford stay away from the 3.8 engine.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Reliability.

scared
By LARS

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

I am scared stiff of this van. It smells anti freeze and I have read nothing but bad news on the head gaskets and tranny. ck engine light and brake light s are on constantly. stay away from 95,96,97 w stars

HELP
By kl

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

I have had nothing but problems since I purchased this van. My check engine light has been on for atleast 1 yr. I have put LOTS of money into this van and still there is no end. They tell me it is the ega ports are clogged and of course FORD does not see why they should have to fix it. In the 96 and 97 models the ega ports were to small and in the 98 models they have made them larger. Any help?

Be Wary
By BoDerek

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

Repeatedly in dealership for "Check Engine" light. Meticulously well maintained car blew head gasket at 88K miles. Ford resonse: "Sorry, 1995 3.8L Windstars are covered for head gasket problem..." However Ford maintains they "corrected it in '96 and later models..." so too bad if you are having trouble. Local mechanic says 3.8L head gasket woes are a Ford trait, not unique to Windstar, but all 3.8- powered Fords with 60-90K miles. Also clunky transmission makes me very nervous about its future. Lots of interior room though. Soft, quiet ride. Rear seat too heavy--needs two people to remove.

Favorite Features

Roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Engine/transmission reliability. Better/more stereo speakers. Lighter, easier to remove third row seat.

faulty engineering
By sparkyie

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

this vehicle is a piece of crap. If you are thinking about buying a Ford van... don't. After only 83k mi. there is water in the oil and oil in the radiator. And the transmission has always been a problem. Don't expect any help from most of the dealers... they almost always deny that they no nothing of any technical service bulliten. Lies and deciet

Million Dollar Windstar
By drive alot

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Have put in over 3000 in repairs in over a year.

Favorite Features

Cd Changer

Suggested Improvements

Improve paint quality it scratches extemely easily. Better Brakes and interior features.