1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Not a bad little van at all
By Mrsnspectr on 08/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Purchased in 2001 and have put about 11,000 miles on it with no problems. I was worried because I had read that many Windstars, mostly other years, were bad for blowing head gaskets, but we haven't had a bit of trouble out of it, and we have made several out of state trips. We also have a DJ/Karaoke business, and when we remove the rear seat, our equipment fits perfectly.

Good Van
By windstarok on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We purchased our Windstar new in '96. Just before the 36K mile warranty ran out, I had 2 minor items fixed (tailgate struts and a side-view mirror) I had the transmission fluid and filter replaced at the dealer and the trans checked out a-ok. About 2 months later (after the warranty ran out) the transmission failed. Upon reviewing my case and service records Ford readily paid 90%. This was the only problem until 85K miles(EGR and Oxygen sensor) and at 90K with a cracked engine sub-frame (odd). I've spent $900 in repairs (except routine maintenance)& 3 weeks in the shop for 6 years and 90K+ miles on a van that I saved $4,000 off a Honda or Toyota.

Head Gasket and Trans. nightmares
By nevr by a ford again on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Head Gasket went out at 55,000 miles. Transmission died at 90,000. Speedometer died at 110,000, All 4 ABS sensors went out by 45,000, Rear AC works on occasion. Loud and rough shifts before and after trans was replaced. Alternator, fuel pump, and battery all were prematurely replaced. I BEG ANYONE WHO WOULD EVER CONSIDER BUYING A FORD PRODUCT TO JUST REVIEW THE COMMENTS OF WINDSTAR OWNERS.

The van that sucked.
By The Money Pit on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This is the absolute worst vehicle I have ever owned. Check engine light is on constantly. We have had to replace oxygen sensors multiple times. The transmission completely overhauled at 78,000 miles. The last draw was when the tranmission failed again at 88,000 miles. Shame on Ford for manufacturing such a piece of crap.

Windstar
By tigger on 06/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Call me an idiot but I bought another 3.8 engine. I have a Ford Thunderbird with 3.8 engine and had the head gaskets replaced and now I'm changing the head gaskets on a 96 Windstar. Neither case has ford offered to help. I find it very funny that they say it is because of maintenance. I do my own maintenance. I changed the oil every 2,000 miles on the Thunderbird and followed the maintenance manual for flush and fills of the anti-freeze. My advice to anyone is stay away from Fords. If you do buy a Ford stay away from the 3.8 engine.

scared
By LARS on 06/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I am scared stiff of this van. It smells anti freeze and I have read nothing but bad news on the head gaskets and tranny. ck engine light and brake light s are on constantly. stay away from 95,96,97 w stars

HELP
By kl on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I have had nothing but problems since I purchased this van. My check engine light has been on for atleast 1 yr. I have put LOTS of money into this van and still there is no end. They tell me it is the ega ports are clogged and of course FORD does not see why they should have to fix it. In the 96 and 97 models the ega ports were to small and in the 98 models they have made them larger. Any help?

Be Wary
By BoDerek on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Repeatedly in dealership for "Check Engine" light. Meticulously well maintained car blew head gasket at 88K miles. Ford resonse: "Sorry, 1995 3.8L Windstars are covered for head gasket problem..." However Ford maintains they "corrected it in '96 and later models..." so too bad if you are having trouble. Local mechanic says 3.8L head gasket woes are a Ford trait, not unique to Windstar, but all 3.8- powered Fords with 60-90K miles. Also clunky transmission makes me very nervous about its future. Lots of interior room though. Soft, quiet ride. Rear seat too heavy--needs two people to remove.

faulty engineering
By sparkyie on 06/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

this vehicle is a piece of crap. If you are thinking about buying a Ford van... don't. After only 83k mi. there is water in the oil and oil in the radiator. And the transmission has always been a problem. Don't expect any help from most of the dealers... they almost always deny that they no nothing of any technical service bulliten. Lies and deciet

Million Dollar Windstar
By drive alot on 06/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Have put in over 3000 in repairs in over a year.