1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Crappy vehicle
By khuri on 11/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Terrible can. Unreliable, poorly built.

DONT BUY
By peetyweety on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Very poor quality overall. Mechanically and electrically unreliable. Buy two so that you will have one to drive while the other is in the shop.

di
By di on 10/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I had a 1995 Windstar that I loved. I fell asleep, sit the back of a semi, and totalled the Windstar. I was so impressed with the safety factors--I walked away with a whiplash and some back medium back issues--that I called my salesman and told him to find me another one just like it. He did and now over 6 years later, I still love it.I have driven long distances in comfort, hauled a huge variety of items, lots of furniture, building supplies, kids, dogs, people and luggage and never been disappointed. I've even pulled out small trees and shrubs with my Laser Red Windstar!!!

96 Windstar
By Familyman on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought the Windstar new and found the minivan to be a real workhorse. The 3.8 eng is strong and peppy and fun to drive. Plows right thru snow while other Front Wheel drive cars are stuck. It's been extremely reliable, have had only the computer and a timing drive (which caused the computer to fail) replaced. It's got 123,000 and still going strong.

96 Windstar
By familyMan on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Windstar from Hell
By aRCE on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

At 60K miles vehicle literally fell apart. Vehicle repairs were $4,000 in one year. Vehicle still does not run right

Not a bad van
By ed on 09/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

My Windstar has been very dependable up to 50k miles. It has the 200hp engine so its got some get up and go. The ride is comfortable and handles well. The oil pan had a leak that had to be fixed twice under warranty. The CD player won't eject half the time. I almost bought a Explorer sport, the van was so much nicer.

Ford Loser
By FordLoser on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Don't by a Ford unless you have DEEP POCKETS! The repairs on Ford vehilcles will suck your wallet DRY! Headgasket, Timing Gasket,Main Engine Bearings, Brakes, Speedometer, ALL DEFECTIVE! OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES!And no more than 100,000 miles. Ford "customer service" is well versed in "I'm sorry but, we won't help you"

Great purchase
By Monte on 08/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I have been extremely pleased with the purchase of our windstar. Gas mileage, while traveling with my family(2 adults,3 kids), has never been below 20 mpg unless I accelerated "heavily", or I was bucking some good ole' midwestern winds! I have enjoyed my life traveling with this vehicle. We have had no mechanical problems during our time with this vehicle. We have had plenty of space for our family and cargo(presents, camping equip, etc) while on our trip. It is extemely powerful when needing the extra get up and go when needed.

my piece of junk
By kill me now on 08/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This van is a piece of junk,gasket problems,brakes,3 sets no less,speedometer busted,tires trashed way to much,transmission is a concern now.Run don't walk from this van. The really sad thing is that we still owe money on this piece of crap.