1996 Ford Windstar LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1996 Windstar Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Sort Reviews by

Beware of the affordable price
By Hockey Dad

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Made the mistake of buying on price. I pride myself on my research before purchasing. This was an impulse purchase on price and need as a new parent of twins. As we fixed one problem the next would occur. Purchased at 53,000 and sold at 85,000. Never again. Notorius for head gasket problems, yet Ford does not acknowledge it. Further validates the foreign vs. American debate.

Favorite Features

Roominess

Suggested Improvements

Redesign and quality improvement with key components of powerplant and transmisssion.

windstar review
By joe driver

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I would rate this car higher if there was a ford dealer within a twenty mile radius that would actually give good customer service,. I will never buy another ford product because of their poor attempts at fixing my ford vehicles.

Know When to Fold'em
By Ken B

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Its a Minivan. Hoping it was made to carry family, reliably, economically, we bought it. Initial Quality: poor (4- 6 repairs in first weeks). Electrical problems and a leaking window were eventually repaired. Once de-bugged, car performed well for about 3 years (reg maint only). Many costly repairs after 3 yrs. The engine, everything attached to it, traction control, suspension, door locks & sensors started failing. Suggest selling vehicle after first non-maint repair. Ensuing repairs doubled, and doubled again, and doubled again.

Favorite Features

Engine... now kaput, had strong acceleration. Seats pretty comfortable. Interior cloth seems to resist stains very well.

Suggested Improvements

Put on good tires...makes a HUGE difference. Car is NOT made to last. Do not hold onto it.

1996 Windstar 3.8 V6 GL
By ziggy

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

When I bought it new...... it was the most inexpensive among its competitors, not bad for a mini van, very comfortable ride, good gas mileage average 18 to 20 a gallon, I must of got lucky I didn't have much maintenance cost until I got to 75,000 miles I guess it wasn't built on a Monday or Friday.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, great air conditioner and heater which Ford is known for.

Suggested Improvements

Sell it before it reaches 90,000 miles as I started replacing parts on it left and right. The middle bench seat truly sucks they need to replace it with the captains seat like they have in the front.

1996 Windstar 3.8 L
By boxinbox

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Lots of power. What a amazing engine!! very comfortable to drive. Smoth and easy to park. Did I say how fun 200 HP on a small van is??

Favorite Features

200 HP

Suggested Improvements

Seperate tempture on Rear AC control.

What a piece of $*%(!!
By wondrme

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I owned a 96 Windstar GL. Bought it last year because it was a great price and only had 42K miles on it. Took it on several road trips and each time the check engine light came on. If I did not put a CERTAIN brand of premium gas in it, it would sputter and drive like a deisel. The transmission shifted strange, the ABS light was on when I got rid of it, the power steering was eating it (hissing whenever I turned), the steering felt mushy. Oh, and it ate up batteries like candy. I was CONSTANTLY having to jump it!!! I would _NOT_ recommend this van. Mine had 64k on it when I traded it and it drove like it was on the verge of a breakdown.

Favorite Features

Front & rear ac worked GREAT!! Seats were comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

A NEW ENGINE and TRANSMISSION!! Hope they did that in the 99 and newer models!!

Ford Windstar 1996
By Raj K Pai

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

After the van crossed 60000 miles I have had nothing but problems. The van needs to have repairs every 30-60 days.

Top 5 problems of a '96 Ford Windstar
By rjf

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

5-Electrical problems. 4-Speedometer fails. 3-Front suspension wore out. 2-Antifreeze leaking. 1-Oil leaking. Good bye Windstar. Hello Honda.

Suggested Improvements

Don' waste your time or money

Runs Well at 78K Miles
By WIN STAR

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

We've owned our Windstar for 5+ years now. I know that people have had problems with them. Our only major one was the tailgate lock failing and having to be replaced. Bought it with 29K miles from a local dealer. The faux leather interior, sound system, All-Trac and load level features continue to make this a pleasure to drive.

Favorite Features

All-Trac, Load Level, digital read outs, still have original battery; dimming mirror; dual air; power seats

Suggested Improvements

I'm sure these have been addressed: removal of third seat is a bear; engine needs a touch more power

Don't Buy Ford
By FarsideJohn

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

An average vehicle at best, this POS has been sitting in my garage for 5 weeks because it has a leaking head gasket (3.8 liter engine) at 64,000 miles. Although there are hundreds of identical complaints on the NHTSA.gov web site due to Ford's bad engine design, Ford refuses to make good on the $3,000 of repairs that are required to make this vehicle driveable again. If I am reincarnated, I will never, never, never buy another Ford product.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Fix faulty head gasket design.