1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Beware of the affordable price
By Hockey Dad on 02/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Made the mistake of buying on price. I pride myself on my research before purchasing. This was an impulse purchase on price and need as a new parent of twins. As we fixed one problem the next would occur. Purchased at 53,000 and sold at 85,000. Never again. Notorius for head gasket problems, yet Ford does not acknowledge it. Further validates the foreign vs. American debate.

windstar review
By joe driver on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I would rate this car higher if there was a ford dealer within a twenty mile radius that would actually give good customer service,. I will never buy another ford product because of their poor attempts at fixing my ford vehicles.

Know When to Fold'em
By Ken B on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Its a Minivan. Hoping it was made to carry family, reliably, economically, we bought it. Initial Quality: poor (4- 6 repairs in first weeks). Electrical problems and a leaking window were eventually repaired. Once de-bugged, car performed well for about 3 years (reg maint only). Many costly repairs after 3 yrs. The engine, everything attached to it, traction control, suspension, door locks & sensors started failing. Suggest selling vehicle after first non-maint repair. Ensuing repairs doubled, and doubled again, and doubled again.

1996 Windstar 3.8 V6 GL
By ziggy on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

When I bought it new...... it was the most inexpensive among its competitors, not bad for a mini van, very comfortable ride, good gas mileage average 18 to 20 a gallon, I must of got lucky I didn't have much maintenance cost until I got to 75,000 miles I guess it wasn't built on a Monday or Friday.

1996 Windstar 3.8 L
By boxinbox on 12/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Lots of power. What a amazing engine!! very comfortable to drive. Smoth and easy to park. Did I say how fun 200 HP on a small van is??

What a piece of $*%(!!
By wondrme on 12/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I owned a 96 Windstar GL. Bought it last year because it was a great price and only had 42K miles on it. Took it on several road trips and each time the check engine light came on. If I did not put a CERTAIN brand of premium gas in it, it would sputter and drive like a deisel. The transmission shifted strange, the ABS light was on when I got rid of it, the power steering was eating it (hissing whenever I turned), the steering felt mushy. Oh, and it ate up batteries like candy. I was CONSTANTLY having to jump it!!! I would _NOT_ recommend this van. Mine had 64k on it when I traded it and it drove like it was on the verge of a breakdown.

Ford Windstar 1996
By Raj K Pai on 12/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

After the van crossed 60000 miles I have had nothing but problems. The van needs to have repairs every 30-60 days.

Top 5 problems of a '96 Ford Windstar
By rjf on 12/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

5-Electrical problems. 4-Speedometer fails. 3-Front suspension wore out. 2-Antifreeze leaking. 1-Oil leaking. Good bye Windstar. Hello Honda.

Runs Well at 78K Miles
By WIN STAR on 11/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

We've owned our Windstar for 5+ years now. I know that people have had problems with them. Our only major one was the tailgate lock failing and having to be replaced. Bought it with 29K miles from a local dealer. The faux leather interior, sound system, All-Trac and load level features continue to make this a pleasure to drive.

Don't Buy Ford
By FarsideJohn on 11/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

An average vehicle at best, this POS has been sitting in my garage for 5 weeks because it has a leaking head gasket (3.8 liter engine) at 64,000 miles. Although there are hundreds of identical complaints on the NHTSA.gov web site due to Ford's bad engine design, Ford refuses to make good on the $3,000 of repairs that are required to make this vehicle driveable again. If I am reincarnated, I will never, never, never buy another Ford product.