1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
GL Windstar
By hagar on 03/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Mechanical reliability is the worst I've ever seen. I'm 54 and between myself and my wife we have had MANY cars, trucks and vans

Be careful
By owner of new and old on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I have owned this vehicle since 30,000. It is now at 80,000 I can relate to all of the problems. Tran started slipping around 50,000 in 1st gear, now have leak in timing valve gasket, estimated 800 repair, check engine light on all the time, runs rough at idle, has always made a "popping" noise from the front suspension.

Designed to fail
By AlexV on 02/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Had this one for a few years. Too bad I was not looking through the reviews. It was fun while under warranty. Was well taken care of, right by the book. Have 3.8l engine. At 68K engine light went off. Took to the dealer. Dealer said that a tunup is needed. Manufacturer said at 100k. Dealer replaced spark plugs etc. Light went off. At 70 K sprung a leak somwhere between heater core and the back of the engine $2k repair(needed to take half the car apart). At 73K engine knocking, water in the oil. Estimate $2.8k to replace the engine. Thanks Ford. That is the last Ford made car my family bought in about 3 generations and hopefully more.

Beware of the affordable price
By Hockey Dad on 02/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Made the mistake of buying on price. I pride myself on my research before purchasing. This was an impulse purchase on price and need as a new parent of twins. As we fixed one problem the next would occur. Purchased at 53,000 and sold at 85,000. Never again. Notorius for head gasket problems, yet Ford does not acknowledge it. Further validates the foreign vs. American debate.

Know When to Fold'em
By Ken B on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Its a Minivan. Hoping it was made to carry family, reliably, economically, we bought it. Initial Quality: poor (4- 6 repairs in first weeks). Electrical problems and a leaking window were eventually repaired. Once de-bugged, car performed well for about 3 years (reg maint only). Many costly repairs after 3 yrs. The engine, everything attached to it, traction control, suspension, door locks & sensors started failing. Suggest selling vehicle after first non-maint repair. Ensuing repairs doubled, and doubled again, and doubled again.

1996 Windstar 3.8 V6 GL
By ziggy on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

When I bought it new...... it was the most inexpensive among its competitors, not bad for a mini van, very comfortable ride, good gas mileage average 18 to 20 a gallon, I must of got lucky I didn't have much maintenance cost until I got to 75,000 miles I guess it wasn't built on a Monday or Friday.

1996 Windstar 3.8 L
By boxinbox on 12/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Lots of power. What a amazing engine!! very comfortable to drive. Smoth and easy to park. Did I say how fun 200 HP on a small van is??

What a piece of $*%(!!
By wondrme on 12/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I owned a 96 Windstar GL. Bought it last year because it was a great price and only had 42K miles on it. Took it on several road trips and each time the check engine light came on. If I did not put a CERTAIN brand of premium gas in it, it would sputter and drive like a deisel. The transmission shifted strange, the ABS light was on when I got rid of it, the power steering was eating it (hissing whenever I turned), the steering felt mushy. Oh, and it ate up batteries like candy. I was CONSTANTLY having to jump it!!! I would _NOT_ recommend this van. Mine had 64k on it when I traded it and it drove like it was on the verge of a breakdown.

Ford Windstar 1996
By Raj K Pai on 12/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

After the van crossed 60000 miles I have had nothing but problems. The van needs to have repairs every 30-60 days.

Top 5 problems of a '96 Ford Windstar
By rjf on 12/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

5-Electrical problems. 4-Speedometer fails. 3-Front suspension wore out. 2-Antifreeze leaking. 1-Oil leaking. Good bye Windstar. Hello Honda.