Used 1996 Ford Windstar GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

DON
By jennyl

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

purchased because of comfortable, roomy interior... everything Ok for SHORT while... it is costing a fortune to own it! Head gasket replaced ($2500) which Ford would not cover... transmission...door ajar alarm stays on all the time while driving (it does go off though if you drive over 25mph, with the lights off- go figure- trying to trade it, but nobody wants it!!! DON"T BUY!!!!

Favorite Features

roominess, aside from all the problems, very comfortable, pleasure to drive

Suggested Improvements

I think they made this car to keep the Ford mechanics in business... IMPROVEMENT-A car that holds up!!!

Quality is NOT job one!
By Never again!

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

ford does not stand by its product. 3.8l eng. with head gasket leaks and trans. problems. (replaced twice) Even under warranty, ford refused to assist customer. You get the run around. Ask ford for help, they till you its the Dealer. Ask the Dealer for help, they say you have to ask ford. NEVER AGAIN!

Favorite Features

The tow truck that hauled it away!

Suggested Improvements

Take responsibility for your mistakes! They made a HORRIBLE engine. (see recalls on the 95' 3.8l) Refused to help good folks who bought the 96'.

Screwed by Ford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Ford Con Job

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This is one of the all time con jobs in automotive history! As many of you have found out, Ford knew it had an unreliable engine but did nothing as usual to fix the problem or help it's customers. They also had faulty brake lines which they did nothing about until the government made them recall. There definetly should be a class action suit regarding this vehicle. Count me in if your interested! Going elsewhere for my next car but I'm sure Ford won't care they never do! how many examples do we have to see, Pinto, Bad Tires, Blown Engines, Faulty Brake Lines, etc............................

Favorite Features

Integrated Child Safety Seats

Suggested Improvements

Include Quality in ANY job done at Ford, they haven't yet! Quality is job none!

GREAT VAN - WOULD BY ANOTHER
By 100yrs-of-FORDS

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

My 1996 windstar has 95K miles and I have NEVER had a problem or even have to get a tune-up!!! I have the 3.0L {I think it was/is better then the 3.8L} and a great motor! I bought this car new in 1996 at Hagerstown Ford and I must say it has been one of the BEST cars I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

EVERY THING

Suggested Improvements

nothing

Dependable, Poor Quality
By dynomo

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Purchased the van with 36,000 miles and still running good at 140,000. Runs good, drives good, comfortable, roomy, and great safety rating. Lots of little problems due to extremely poor quality: Speedometer, power locks, power windows, rear heat/ac, cruise control, brakes, check engine light and interior lighting.

Favorite Features

Interior space, drivability, engine power.

Suggested Improvements

Address all the quality issues that are stated in the customer reviews. A must if Ford expects to earn my business.