1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Do not buy a Ford Windstar
By bcorgn on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Took care of my Ford Windstar with regular maintenance and oil changes. At 69,000 miles, mechanic now tells me I need to spend $1400 dollars on replacing the head gasket...a "common" problem, but Ford has issued no recalls. Cannot belive there is not a class action law suit yet on this common problem. Do yourself a favor and buy a Toyota or Honda.

NO PROBLEMS
By andy77 on 10/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I bought this car in 1996 and have 122K on it and have not had any head gasket problem and it still has the original transmission. This thing is a tank. It has never stranded me and takes care of all of the stuff I have to carry around!

Great car
By unknown2 on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

It has 93k and never had a tune- up.Never let me down-would by another one

Comfortable Drive and Expensive Repairs
By Don Tucci on 09/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I purchased a 1996 Ford Windstar GL in April of 1999 (28,500 miles). The car performed solidly to about 68,000 miles. At this point, the engine cooling gasket went bad and the entire engine needed replaced. Ford replaced the engine at a local dealer, but it still cost me about $1000.00. Now at 90, 000 Miles I am having a multitude of problems. Speedometer broken, re- winshield washer motor burnt out, wheel sensor failing, and transmission beginning to slip.

SATISFIED
By SATISFIED on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

THE VAN HAS 107,000 MILES ON. DROVE IT TO CALIFORNIA TWICE AND TWICE TO ORLANDO NO PROBLEM. NEVER BEEN TO A DEALER FOR MAJOR REPAIR. I DO MY OWN REGULAR OIL, TRANS FLUID MAINT AND OTHER MINOR MAINT. I THINK IT WOUD LAST FOR ANOTHER 100,000 MILES

Never again
By trspd on 09/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY A WINDSTAR! Bought it for its 5-star safety rating at 69K miles. Replaced the engine at 70K miles. Engine light is always coming on-$55 to diagnose and re-set computer every time. Since May, I've put in $3300, including new transmission at 120K miles (never had warning codes on dash come on, and nothing showed up on diagnostic machine when trans. started slipping), alternator, partial catalytic converter, O2 sensors, and much more. Driver's window doesn't work, and ignition cylinder needs to be replaced. Stress fracture across windshield. Money pit! I'm buying Japanese from now on.

tragedyinoregon
By exxfiler on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

My father bought it. Was decent but later began to have problems overheating, traction control disingaging Would bring it to Ford to have them fix it only for the problems to return within weeks They had terrible customer service and charged us every time He demanded they fix something that should have been fixed, they agreed When it was supposed to be ready one day he was told it wasn't. My father was forced to drive his 68 coug to work. On his way home was killed in an accident The police told us had he had an airbag he most likely would have lived Had ford cared about their customers, he might be alive. They finanly fixed it though.

Been had by Windstar
By Been had by Ford on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Transmission, Head and Engine Gasket failure and very expensive

Watch out
By NCYankee on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

As with many of these 3.8L models, my headgasket went out at about 78k, causing the connecting rod on #4 cylinder to break. Dealer wanted 4K to install rebuilt motor, so I fixed the original one for about $500 in parts and many hours of my labor. Running good again, but I'm holding my breath. ABS light is comming on all the time now, but brakes seem to work fine.

Good for the long haul
By happy driver on 07/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I have owned this vehicle since May of 1996. It was the first vehicle I found that could pack all my kid's stuff for college and still ride well enough that my wife did not get carsick during the 4 hour drive to college. During all the time we have owned it, it has always been available for duty and has only needed the routine maintenance. I did finally this spring put new brakes on the vehicle. I look forward to buying a Ford again.