Used 1996 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Still Runnin'
By Northwest Guy

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Like many posts here, had no serious problems to speak of until 75K mi. The sensitivity of the oxygen sensors; ultimately replaced them all; head gasket went this year at 84K. I've owned a number of 4 different Fords since 1982; not perfect by any stretch but this year had to replace the engine in a 1994 Honda Civic with 104K - That's NEVER supposed to happen with them; have owned Toyotas (3), Mazda and an Acura. Fact is, NONE of these cars have been perfect. This van was the best deal on the road when we bought in 1997 with 29K. It is a comfortable vehicle that has been surpassed by newer versions by competitors.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seating, rear radio, air; digital speedometer display; all-trac and load level; great field of vision

Suggested Improvements

Seats from that era are heavy and somewhat difficult to remove; engine valves.

GL = Good Luck!
By mtalk

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

No wonder it's got a good safety ratin: it never leaves the driveway. Check engine light goes on, only to go off a month later with no explanation from Ford. Door ajar bell keeps ringing and interior light stays on until 20 mph, so replaced the sensor. Then the big stuff. Cylinder went down at 100,000 ($1200). New engine at 112,000 ($3000). Just waiting for the tranny to drop now. We will be getting rid of this soon for something better and will never buy a Ford again.

Favorite Features

Hauls a lot of people.

Suggested Improvements

Be honest with people that this was a lemon. Send all current owners a coupon for a free trip to Hawaii.

3.8L FWD - Ford Stinks
By ca2stay

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Had a 91 Taurus (3.8L FWD) tranny @ 25k & 54k miles. Traded in for 96 Windstar LX 3.8L FWD. Tranny started giving trouble slipping @ 50k and finally replaced @ 90k $3k, head gaskets @ 85k $2k and engine still runs poorly, radio/CD @ 50k. Fortunately w/tow package & 4W Disc Brakes so none of the brake pblms my frinds w/drum brakes had. Now CV joints and the rest of the steering and suspension. My wife's next vehicle will be Japanese.

Favorite Features

I won't put any more money into it.

Suggested Improvements

fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on ME.

Be Cautious
By Date83R

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We bought ours new @ 60K. It was great until last year. When it hit 100K the fur hit the fan. We have put well over 3000 into it in the last 9 months. Everything from tie rods to all sorts of electrical problems. The problems just keep piling up though. Even the techs at the dealership were scratching their heads with the last one. We're trading it in for a Caravan tomorrow.

Favorite Features

I love the room and the AWESOME Ford heater.

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your mistakes and fix the things you know are wrong with it.

Buy with caution
By mario starr

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Paid too much for the van to benign with; that was my fault. Let me begin by listing the numerous problems I’ve encounter as an owner of a “Quality” Ford product: Power steering pump, water pump gasket, lower intake gasket, popping noise from front end, A/C condensation leaked inside van, shifting cable, speedometer, door ajar caution light works intermittently, intake breaker valve ($200)... My local dealership has been very friendly to me while they have me over this barrel called Windstar.

Favorite Features

Roomy, plenty of power, corfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

"Quality", "Quality", "Quality", "Qualit y", "Quality", Reliability, Reliability, Reliability and Reliability