1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Ford is not Quality
By Fred E on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Like most others that own a 96 windstar, at @ 68,000 miles headgasket went out costing $2,500. Ford fixed 95s and declared 96 cured so they told me that it was my problem. I was first in my family to buy Ford and I'm doing my best to tell others in family and whoever else not to buy Ford. I have always bought domestic cars/trucks. This experience has taught me to look global. There is no quality or accountability at Ford

Screwed by Ford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Ford Con Job on 12/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This is one of the all time con jobs in automotive history! As many of you have found out, Ford knew it had an unreliable engine but did nothing as usual to fix the problem or help it's customers. They also had faulty brake lines which they did nothing about until the government made them recall. There definetly should be a class action suit regarding this vehicle. Count me in if your interested! Going elsewhere for my next car but I'm sure Ford won't care they never do! how many examples do we have to see, Pinto, Bad Tires, Blown Engines, Faulty Brake Lines, etc............................

These should all be recalled
By Ike-69 on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought the car used with about 28000 miles. Had no problems for a while, then it seemed like a new problem every week. Water pump, alternator, power steering pump, continues problem with brake lines/master cylinder, electrical problems such that it thinks a door is open, so it leaves the dome light on (have just removed this bulb permanently), radio goes out, and now the motor blew at 107,000 miles. I still like Ford, bur this model sucks!

GREAT VAN - WOULD BY ANOTHER
By 100yrs-of-FORDS on 12/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

My 1996 windstar has 95K miles and I have NEVER had a problem or even have to get a tune-up!!! I have the 3.0L {I think it was/is better then the 3.8L} and a great motor! I bought this car new in 1996 at Hagerstown Ford and I must say it has been one of the BEST cars I have ever owned.

Dependable, Poor Quality
By dynomo on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Purchased the van with 36,000 miles and still running good at 140,000. Runs good, drives good, comfortable, roomy, and great safety rating. Lots of little problems due to extremely poor quality: Speedometer, power locks, power windows, rear heat/ac, cruise control, brakes, check engine light and interior lighting.

Runs and Drives like a new one!
By cardawg29 on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I reluctantly had to purchase a used van to accomodate the new addition to our family. I had a tight budget and had to find the best vehicle at the best deal. I acomplished both. This van is absolutely wonderfull! Extremely reliable, and the performance is surprising for a Mini van. We are very pleased. Ford built this one Tough!

Unless you like to throw money away...
By Mouferdog on 12/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

First, the speedometer needle flys all over the place, then the water pump needed to be replaced (this is the 2nd time). The electrical system is severly flawed (admitted by a Ford technician at the dealership) There is nothing quite like the sight and smell of your steering column smoking while all the dash lights dance on and off. Now the transmission needs to be replaced. I just want to thank Ford for knowing that this van is one big piece of junk and instead of proving their integrity by offering to fix problems that they have had a multitude of complaints about, they instead offer an open palm to accept our money to fix their junk!

1996 Windstar
By windstarowner on 11/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I have had problems with coolent leaks and sensors. It goes through a set of front brakes about once a year. It is hard to work on. You have to remove the vent cowling every time you want to get at the back side of the engine. We have had 2 recalls both relating to the brakes.

Best vehicle so far
By Steve from Alberta on 10/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Best vehicle we have ever owned. Bought in 98' with 25,000km in perfect condition. Now have almost 150,000km and have only done tires and brakes (once at 110,000km). Pulls our trailer (albeit a smaller one) and our 16ft boat with ease. Only knock we can come up with is a faulty speedometer (at 40,000km approx). Ford said this was normal and within the tolerances of manufacturing ($800 to fix). If the Windstar had a higher towing rating we would definitely buy another.

best van ever
By ford dude on 10/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I,ve had dozens of cars and this is the best I've ever had for service, comfort, reliablity and fun to dirve on the highway.