Used 1996 Ford Windstar GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Worst Vehicle Ever Built
By JConner

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We bought it to accomodate our family outings, but it has been a constant problem. It has a constant miss, that to this date, we have been unable to find a mechanic that can fix it. Also has the issues of the door ajar alarm staying on, power windows work occasionally. This van has spent MONTHS in the shop and is still not fixed. Really gives Ford a bad name. I'm sure I won't be buying anything else with Ford on it. I can't believe this entire vehicle hasn't been recalled for all the extreme problems they have.

Favorite Features

It's a van, wanted the 7 passenger seating.

Suggested Improvements

Throw this one away and start completely over. This van is beyond "improvements."

Windstar a great value
By DJ

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This has been a great vehicle, absolutely no problems. I have only done routine maintance and I plan to buy a new Freestar this year to replace this. Too bad the resale is not a bit better but I have certainly gotten my money's worth - almost ten years old and paid less then $20K new, that ends up less than $175 a month including maintenance.

Windstar = Happiness
By Vinb2k5

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Great van, ours has lasted 198,000 miles. Even when the engine developed a crack in the block it still ran, until the tags expired. Extremely reliable providing 8 years of service to our family. Definitely would buy another one.

Favorite Features

3.8L engine, handling, the styling. The best car I've ever had.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission started to kick between 1st and 2nd at 70k, could use a better sound system. Poor fuel economy.

Outstanding
By 4Brooks

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We bought it with 20,000 miles on it and it has been flawless! No major problems. We've kept it maintained by a mechanic and it's been great. Long road trips are enjoyable because of all the room, and the power is great. No fears when passing or climbing hills. Everything still works great, original tranny, water pump, etc. It now has 113,500 miles, and still runs great.

Favorite Features

Power, high seating position, comfortable room for seven.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had dual sliding doors, and lower rear window to see out of.

Good for the Goose
By Brownie2121

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This vehicle was my first ever car purchase. It was resonably priced, and it has been a great family vehicle. Its build is very safe, when I had my front end collision, the car took all the impact and all I needed was to replace the hood and the grates. Like most cars, its not without faults. The lights were always coming on so I'd take it in and have to have them reset. So, if you can get used to driving with your check engine light on, and are willing to rely on instinct as to when you really need it checked, this is the car for you. Great Family Van and not bad for driving around town either.

Favorite Features

Keyless Entry. Power Windows, Locks, Doors and Mirros. Seats easily removed.

Suggested Improvements

Check out whatever makes the lights misfire.