1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Nice mini van for the price
By freddyford on 03/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We bought this van used with 75000 miles. We have used it to pull a tent trailer for the last two years and it's been excellent. Nothing but regular maintainence. I did put in a set of rear air-adjustable shocks but that's it. Great van for the price.

Quality is NOT job one!
By Never again! on 01/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

ford does not stand by its product. 3.8l eng. with head gasket leaks and trans. problems. (replaced twice) Even under warranty, ford refused to assist customer. You get the run around. Ask ford for help, they till you its the Dealer. Ask the Dealer for help, they say you have to ask ford. NEVER AGAIN!

Screwed by Ford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Ford Con Job on 12/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This is one of the all time con jobs in automotive history! As many of you have found out, Ford knew it had an unreliable engine but did nothing as usual to fix the problem or help it's customers. They also had faulty brake lines which they did nothing about until the government made them recall. There definetly should be a class action suit regarding this vehicle. Count me in if your interested! Going elsewhere for my next car but I'm sure Ford won't care they never do! how many examples do we have to see, Pinto, Bad Tires, Blown Engines, Faulty Brake Lines, etc............................

GREAT VAN - WOULD BY ANOTHER
By 100yrs-of-FORDS on 12/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

My 1996 windstar has 95K miles and I have NEVER had a problem or even have to get a tune-up!!! I have the 3.0L {I think it was/is better then the 3.8L} and a great motor! I bought this car new in 1996 at Hagerstown Ford and I must say it has been one of the BEST cars I have ever owned.

Dependable, Poor Quality
By dynomo on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Purchased the van with 36,000 miles and still running good at 140,000. Runs good, drives good, comfortable, roomy, and great safety rating. Lots of little problems due to extremely poor quality: Speedometer, power locks, power windows, rear heat/ac, cruise control, brakes, check engine light and interior lighting.

Runs and Drives like a new one!
By cardawg29 on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I reluctantly had to purchase a used van to accomodate the new addition to our family. I had a tight budget and had to find the best vehicle at the best deal. I acomplished both. This van is absolutely wonderfull! Extremely reliable, and the performance is surprising for a Mini van. We are very pleased. Ford built this one Tough!

Unless you like to throw money away...
By Mouferdog on 12/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

First, the speedometer needle flys all over the place, then the water pump needed to be replaced (this is the 2nd time). The electrical system is severly flawed (admitted by a Ford technician at the dealership) There is nothing quite like the sight and smell of your steering column smoking while all the dash lights dance on and off. Now the transmission needs to be replaced. I just want to thank Ford for knowing that this van is one big piece of junk and instead of proving their integrity by offering to fix problems that they have had a multitude of complaints about, they instead offer an open palm to accept our money to fix their junk!

Best vehicle so far
By Steve from Alberta on 10/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Best vehicle we have ever owned. Bought in 98' with 25,000km in perfect condition. Now have almost 150,000km and have only done tires and brakes (once at 110,000km). Pulls our trailer (albeit a smaller one) and our 16ft boat with ease. Only knock we can come up with is a faulty speedometer (at 40,000km approx). Ford said this was normal and within the tolerances of manufacturing ($800 to fix). If the Windstar had a higher towing rating we would definitely buy another.

Great car
By unknown2 on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

It has 93k and never had a tune- up.Never let me down-would by another one

Comfortable Drive and Expensive Repairs
By Don Tucci on 09/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I purchased a 1996 Ford Windstar GL in April of 1999 (28,500 miles). The car performed solidly to about 68,000 miles. At this point, the engine cooling gasket went bad and the entire engine needed replaced. Ford replaced the engine at a local dealer, but it still cost me about $1000.00. Now at 90, 000 Miles I am having a multitude of problems. Speedometer broken, re- winshield washer motor burnt out, wheel sensor failing, and transmission beginning to slip.