Used 1996 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Most Helpful|
Where was Edmunds when I needed it?
By Seattle family

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

The biggest mistake of our automobile buying lives. We like the room and the ride in general. But it is now limited to going only to Home Depot and the dump on weekends. I would never trust it outside our neighborhood. Replaced everything so far, including engine. Read the other reviews here. They won't say anything we can't say.

Favorite Features

Room when all the seats are out.

Suggested Improvements

Remove them all from the road and turn them into housing for the homeless.

Windstar1996 GL
By Jadlcg3

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this van 6 years ago. It had 140,000 miles when I bought it. It ran pretty well. I have had to replace a few very expensive parts. The ABS keeps messing up my front breaks (I have to replace them every year). The speed sensor is bad, and have had to replace the O2 sensors. The rear defrost fried and does not work, thank goodness for my garage. The seats are very heavy to take out, as well. Over-all, the van has been pretty good to me. Has not left me stranded anywhere. I'm able to drive long hauls with no problems. I do wished it had the drivers side sliding door. It's ok, though. My boys call it the NASCAR Van. lol

Favorite Features

The power, the room it has, the AC and heat, comfy, and the engine fairly easy to access most parts. It's very reasonable on gas mileage as well, especially, for the mileage it has.

Suggested Improvements

Just make sure that the best engine and tranny parts are put in the vans. In other words, the quality could be better.

Windstar a great value
By DJ

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

This has been a great vehicle, absolutely no problems. I have only done routine maintance and I plan to buy a new Freestar this year to replace this. Too bad the resale is not a bit better but I have certainly gotten my money's worth - almost ten years old and paid less then $20K new, that ends up less than $175 a month including maintenance.

Worst Vehicle Ever Built
By JConner

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

We bought it to accomodate our family outings, but it has been a constant problem. It has a constant miss, that to this date, we have been unable to find a mechanic that can fix it. Also has the issues of the door ajar alarm staying on, power windows work occasionally. This van has spent MONTHS in the shop and is still not fixed. Really gives Ford a bad name. I'm sure I won't be buying anything else with Ford on it. I can't believe this entire vehicle hasn't been recalled for all the extreme problems they have.

Favorite Features

It's a van, wanted the 7 passenger seating.

Suggested Improvements

Throw this one away and start completely over. This van is beyond "improvements."

Windstar 1996 for sale
By Forrest Jeffery

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

This has been a wonderful car to drive. I drove it to the east coast 3 times. It has new tires in the last 2 years, and a recent complete tuneup. It has air conditioning and it gives a smooth ride.

Favorite Features

air conditioning, comfortable seats

Suggested Improvements

None