Used 1996 Ford Windstar GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Good for the Goose
By Brownie2121

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This vehicle was my first ever car purchase. It was resonably priced, and it has been a great family vehicle. Its build is very safe, when I had my front end collision, the car took all the impact and all I needed was to replace the hood and the grates. Like most cars, its not without faults. The lights were always coming on so I'd take it in and have to have them reset. So, if you can get used to driving with your check engine light on, and are willing to rely on instinct as to when you really need it checked, this is the car for you. Great Family Van and not bad for driving around town either.

Favorite Features

Keyless Entry. Power Windows, Locks, Doors and Mirros. Seats easily removed.

Suggested Improvements

Check out whatever makes the lights misfire.

If your have any sense PLEASE AVOID!
By Intellegent Owner

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We got van used (55,000) miles. As is, no warranty, BIG mistake! The first week we had the van, the power steering went out. Then spark plugs needed to be changed. Don't attempt yourself. Front brakes have been changed 5 times. We have a hard time putting key in the ignition. Awful dinging sound when head lights are on sometimes. When it's below 30 degrees out, doors freeze shut, then won't close after you get in. Replaced water pump and now I fear we need a new transmission due to van jerking when shifting. I've met 4 people that have trouble with theirs as well! Windstar= LEMON.

Favorite Features

Front seats are comfy.

Suggested Improvements

Recall Windstars and stop production of Freestars, until Ford can make a reliable vehicle.

Windstar1996 GL
By Jadlcg3

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this van 6 years ago. It had 140,000 miles when I bought it. It ran pretty well. I have had to replace a few very expensive parts. The ABS keeps messing up my front breaks (I have to replace them every year). The speed sensor is bad, and have had to replace the O2 sensors. The rear defrost fried and does not work, thank goodness for my garage. The seats are very heavy to take out, as well. Over-all, the van has been pretty good to me. Has not left me stranded anywhere. I'm able to drive long hauls with no problems. I do wished it had the drivers side sliding door. It's ok, though. My boys call it the NASCAR Van. lol

Favorite Features

The power, the room it has, the AC and heat, comfy, and the engine fairly easy to access most parts. It's very reasonable on gas mileage as well, especially, for the mileage it has.

Suggested Improvements

Just make sure that the best engine and tranny parts are put in the vans. In other words, the quality could be better.

Outstanding
By 4Brooks

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We bought it with 20,000 miles on it and it has been flawless! No major problems. We've kept it maintained by a mechanic and it's been great. Long road trips are enjoyable because of all the room, and the power is great. No fears when passing or climbing hills. Everything still works great, original tranny, water pump, etc. It now has 113,500 miles, and still runs great.

Favorite Features

Power, high seating position, comfortable room for seven.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had dual sliding doors, and lower rear window to see out of.

Windstar 1996 for sale
By Forrest Jeffery

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This has been a wonderful car to drive. I drove it to the east coast 3 times. It has new tires in the last 2 years, and a recent complete tuneup. It has air conditioning and it gives a smooth ride.

Favorite Features

air conditioning, comfortable seats

Suggested Improvements

None