1996 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Had pretty good luck so far.
By RonL on 10/27/05 13:26 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Bought van in '99 with 33,000 miles. Transmission rebuilt right after purchase under warranty. (Thank you, Ford!) Bought extended warranty, never used it. Items replaced so far - tie rod ends, power steering pump. We tow snowmobiles with it, no problems pulling. Check engine light comes on occasionally, usually after long trips. Very comfortable ride, no major engine problems to date w/ 120,000 miles. Only paid $13k for van in '99, and it has served us well. Not a Honda by any means, but we didn't pay Honda prices. If I get another year or 2 out of this van I think I will have got more than my money's worth.

A good eight years, BUT.....
By electricjohn on 09/17/05 17:09 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

This was a very nice vehicle for 8 years, but things started falling apart after that. Ride quality went downhill fast at 50,000 miles. Still have the original motor and transmission at 113,000 miles, now getting C.E. light, front end needs major refurbishing, losing coolant, power steering acting up, speedometer dances, blinker switch replaced, needs shocks, power window problems, O-2 sensor, transmission is sluggish. The power the 3.8 engine had when new started disappearing at 50,000 miles too. For the short term it is not a bad vehicle; being a good, comfortable travel vehicle and small trailer hauler. If you are thinking about a Freestar, think short term ownership (less than seven years or 70,000 miles).

Never again!
By Colleen on 07/13/05 14:08 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

After driving my first brand new car is was immediately plagued with problems. When we purchased the van we were assured that we would be able to tow a tent trailer (<3,000 lbs). Initially the check engine light came on. Nothing wrong at the dealer. Don't know what the computer has been trying to tell us over the past 9 years but now I've placed a sticker over the light and just ignore it! Right after the warranty ran out 40k miles, the transmission went out! Took to a transmission shop who said you can't haul with a front wheel drive auto! This is my 3rd transmission in 9 years and I poke along the road with my kids! Never, ever buying another Ford even if they give it to me!

Worst Vehicle Ever Built
By JConner on 05/19/05 12:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

We bought it to accomodate our family outings, but it has been a constant problem. It has a constant miss, that to this date, we have been unable to find a mechanic that can fix it. Also has the issues of the door ajar alarm staying on, power windows work occasionally. This van has spent MONTHS in the shop and is still not fixed. Really gives Ford a bad name. I'm sure I won't be buying anything else with Ford on it. I can't believe this entire vehicle hasn't been recalled for all the extreme problems they have.

Windstar a great value
By DJ on 03/16/05 08:23 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

This has been a great vehicle, absolutely no problems. I have only done routine maintance and I plan to buy a new Freestar this year to replace this. Too bad the resale is not a bit better but I have certainly gotten my money's worth - almost ten years old and paid less then $20K new, that ends up less than $175 a month including maintenance.

Windstar = Happiness
By Vinb2k5 on 03/02/05 19:44 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

Great van, ours has lasted 198,000 miles. Even when the engine developed a crack in the block it still ran, until the tags expired. Extremely reliable providing 8 years of service to our family. Definitely would buy another one.

What happened to Ford?
By Robert on 02/27/05 17:28 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

This has to be one of the worst automobiles ever made.I once was a big Ford supporter but after owning this van I will never buy another Ford again. Transmission problems, front end problems; just a terrible van.This is an automobile that is used for family outings. Stay away from Fords.

FORD (Frequent Overhaul Repair Damage)
By Getting _Me_A_Honda on 12/29/04 06:18 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Bought new - continuing trips to the dealership for repair from the first 100 miles (now have 70K miles) while under warranty and the problems described by other posts just escalated after warranty expired. Total cost of repairs to date: $5,000.00. NO MORE. Buying a Honda CR-V this week. Most unfriendly mechanics, but with a product this bad one should expect nothing but bad.

Outstanding
By 4Brooks on 12/01/04 23:03 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

We bought it with 20,000 miles on it and it has been flawless! No major problems. We've kept it maintained by a mechanic and it's been great. Long road trips are enjoyable because of all the room, and the power is great. No fears when passing or climbing hills. Everything still works great, original tranny, water pump, etc. It now has 113,500 miles, and still runs great.

Good for the Goose
By Brownie2121 on 09/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

This vehicle was my first ever car purchase. It was resonably priced, and it has been a great family vehicle. Its build is very safe, when I had my front end collision, the car took all the impact and all I needed was to replace the hood and the grates. Like most cars, its not without faults. The lights were always coming on so I'd take it in and have to have them reset. So, if you can get used to driving with your check engine light on, and are willing to rely on instinct as to when you really need it checked, this is the car for you. Great Family Van and not bad for driving around town either.