Used 1996 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

11 years going strong
By No problems ever

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this van new and have had it to the mechanics only twice in all these years; easy to fix carburetor problem just 3 years ago, and fan fix for back seats. Extremely reliable. Everything still works perfectly. Gets 17 mpg, better than the mid-sized SUVs these days.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Seats are very comfortable. The armrest! Lots of power--I still can pass any kind of car on the freeway, no problems with pick up.

Suggested Improvements

None!

Where was Edmunds when I needed it?
By Seattle family

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

The biggest mistake of our automobile buying lives. We like the room and the ride in general. But it is now limited to going only to Home Depot and the dump on weekends. I would never trust it outside our neighborhood. Replaced everything so far, including engine. Read the other reviews here. They won't say anything we can't say.

Favorite Features

Room when all the seats are out.

Suggested Improvements

Remove them all from the road and turn them into housing for the homeless.

I Hate Ford: The sad Windstar tale
By Ashwin Ramesh

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

The day I bought my Windstar, I thought I was going to have lots of fun with it and go on many adventures. However, I had a disappointment. After 15,000 miles, the transmission blew up. Then, at 20,000 miles, I had to replace a gasket. Finally, at 30,000 miles, the car caught fire in my garage! I had to call the fire department, because my house caught fire with it!

Favorite Features

Nothing!

Suggested Improvements

Replace exterior with Honda! Replace interior with Honda! Replace engine with Honda! Then, I will buy Windstar again!

If your have any sense PLEASE AVOID!
By Intellegent Owner

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

We got van used (55,000) miles. As is, no warranty, BIG mistake! The first week we had the van, the power steering went out. Then spark plugs needed to be changed. Don't attempt yourself. Front brakes have been changed 5 times. We have a hard time putting key in the ignition. Awful dinging sound when head lights are on sometimes. When it's below 30 degrees out, doors freeze shut, then won't close after you get in. Replaced water pump and now I fear we need a new transmission due to van jerking when shifting. I've met 4 people that have trouble with theirs as well! Windstar= LEMON.

Favorite Features

Front seats are comfy.

Suggested Improvements

Recall Windstars and stop production of Freestars, until Ford can make a reliable vehicle.

still a minivan
By stephen

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

We bought this car new in '96 because everyone else in the world owned a Dodge Caravan. Drove it for 8 years and 130,000 miles before I wrecked it. Never had any major engine/mechanical problems but Ford's electric system is a joke. The speedometer went out at 90,000 miles, and for the next 3 years it waved between 40 and 90 MPH, so it was unclear how fast we were going. Helped us to slow down though. I rear ended someone going 45 MPH and sustained a broken ankle and some minor scrapes and bruises from the airbags which deployed. To this day, almost a year later, I continue to have shoulder problems resulting from this accident. Served us well, but not too protective!

Favorite Features

Quad captain's chairs, rear A/C and stereo controls. steering wheel controls, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Size of gas tank, not protective.