1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Worst Vehicle Ever Built
By JConner on 05/19/05 12:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We bought it to accomodate our family outings, but it has been a constant problem. It has a constant miss, that to this date, we have been unable to find a mechanic that can fix it. Also has the issues of the door ajar alarm staying on, power windows work occasionally. This van has spent MONTHS in the shop and is still not fixed. Really gives Ford a bad name. I'm sure I won't be buying anything else with Ford on it. I can't believe this entire vehicle hasn't been recalled for all the extreme problems they have.

Windstar a great value
By DJ on 03/16/05 08:23 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This has been a great vehicle, absolutely no problems. I have only done routine maintance and I plan to buy a new Freestar this year to replace this. Too bad the resale is not a bit better but I have certainly gotten my money's worth - almost ten years old and paid less then $20K new, that ends up less than $175 a month including maintenance.

Windstar = Happiness
By Vinb2k5 on 03/02/05 19:44 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Great van, ours has lasted 198,000 miles. Even when the engine developed a crack in the block it still ran, until the tags expired. Extremely reliable providing 8 years of service to our family. Definitely would buy another one.

Outstanding
By 4Brooks on 12/01/04 23:03 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We bought it with 20,000 miles on it and it has been flawless! No major problems. We've kept it maintained by a mechanic and it's been great. Long road trips are enjoyable because of all the room, and the power is great. No fears when passing or climbing hills. Everything still works great, original tranny, water pump, etc. It now has 113,500 miles, and still runs great.

Good for the Goose
By Brownie2121 on 09/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This vehicle was my first ever car purchase. It was resonably priced, and it has been a great family vehicle. Its build is very safe, when I had my front end collision, the car took all the impact and all I needed was to replace the hood and the grates. Like most cars, its not without faults. The lights were always coming on so I'd take it in and have to have them reset. So, if you can get used to driving with your check engine light on, and are willing to rely on instinct as to when you really need it checked, this is the car for you. Great Family Van and not bad for driving around town either.

GL = Good Luck!
By mtalk on 09/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

No wonder it's got a good safety ratin: it never leaves the driveway. Check engine light goes on, only to go off a month later with no explanation from Ford. Door ajar bell keeps ringing and interior light stays on until 20 mph, so replaced the sensor. Then the big stuff. Cylinder went down at 100,000 ($1200). New engine at 112,000 ($3000). Just waiting for the tranny to drop now. We will be getting rid of this soon for something better and will never buy a Ford again.

Be Cautious
By Date83R on 04/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We bought ours new @ 60K. It was great until last year. When it hit 100K the fur hit the fan. We have put well over 3000 into it in the last 9 months. Everything from tie rods to all sorts of electrical problems. The problems just keep piling up though. Even the techs at the dealership were scratching their heads with the last one. We're trading it in for a Caravan tomorrow.

Buy with caution
By mario starr on 03/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Paid too much for the van to benign with; that was my fault. Let me begin by listing the numerous problems I’ve encounter as an owner of a “Quality” Ford product: Power steering pump, water pump gasket, lower intake gasket, popping noise from front end, A/C condensation leaked inside van, shifting cable, speedometer, door ajar caution light works intermittently, intake breaker valve ($200)... My local dealership has been very friendly to me while they have me over this barrel called Windstar.

Was good for a while, but...
By smilingbrownbear on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Bought this program vehicle in 1997. Had 22,000 miles and now has 120,000. Was very good (although it had some irritating electrical problems) until it hit 100,000 miles. Needed a transmission - surprise! Got a remanufactued one for $2,400. New tranny is fine. Terrible electrical system now requires trips to the shop every few months. Also has some problems when just started and idling.

DON
By jennyl on 03/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

purchased because of comfortable, roomy interior... everything Ok for SHORT while... it is costing a fortune to own it! Head gasket replaced ($2500) which Ford would not cover... transmission...door ajar alarm stays on all the time while driving (it does go off though if you drive over 25mph, with the lights off- go figure- trying to trade it, but nobody wants it!!! DON"T BUY!!!!