1996 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews 10

1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Don't waste your money!!!
By anderson brown on 05/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Transmission promblems always present!!

Lemon
By UnHappy Ford Owner on 05/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Since we drove it off the lot, it has been a bad experience and Ford has been difficult to deal with. While it was under warrenty, we had everything electrial and the air fixed. As soon as it was out of warrenty, the transmission went out. We asked Ford for assistance and they refused to help us. Now it has 75,000 miles and we have the head gasket problem. s. I been talking with three dealerships about the TSB Ford has out to replace head gaskets if the car is less than 7 years old and 100,000 miles. Non of the dealers are aware of this TSB. I will never buy another Ford. .

After 70K Watch out
By bowwowWindstar on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I bought this with 48K on it from an individual who had done all the scheduled maintenance. At around 70K the problems started occurring including, but not limited to: Transmission and A\C compressor. Other problems include a multitude of minor problems which have all added up, including but not limited to: Cracked gas tank - We didn't hit anything Rear wiper motor went out rear vent window motor went out CD player spits out 90% of CDs without playing Both cigarette lighters won't charge Alarm system goes off for no reason I'll be trading this in soon, so i'd advise against anyone in Austin against buying a used one. It might be this one.

Why I'll NEVER own another FORD
By Jennifer on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Transmition failed at 20,000 miles. ENGINE failed at 53,000 miles (yes, after the warrantee expired). A $4,500 repair. Evidently the engine block cracked and caused a rod to break. I am only keeping the car after this repair as a driving billboard against FORD. "Top-of-the-line" stereo replaced at 25,000 miles. Driver side seat pan failed at about 25,000 miles. Misc. interior trim replacements have been a yearly occurrence. FORD service department always keeps the car overnight even with an appointment.

Why I'll NEVER own another FORD
By jennifer on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Wind96
By woodfyr on 03/18/02 10:02 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This has been an excellent road car. Long trips are a norm (+300 miles). A pleasure to drive, excellent handling with plenty of power on hills and for passing. Great tow vehicle for 1000 lb. camper trailer. Stable under all conditions. 22 mpg (16 mpg with trailer).

Run! Run! Run!
By VeryVeryUnhappy on 03/18/02 09:52 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Blown head gasket at 60K and now Trans slipping bad at 115K. I can't affort to own this van.

96 Ford Windstar
By kmcculloh on 03/13/02 12:44 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this van new in 1996 at a very good price. It has been a good vehicle overall, with just a few minor problems at this point, 60K miles. I plan on keeping it for at least another 60K miles, even if I have to pit some money into it for repairs it will still be cheaper than buying a new one.

1996 Ford Windstar GL
By Dale on 03/03/02 18:29 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Blew a head gasket at 92500 miles. Rusting out on passenger side rear fender. Air conditioning system needs to be replaced. Check engine light is on most of the time.

disagree with edmonds review.please rere
By tony on 02/27/02 07:59 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

i first looked up reviews.but i disagree with what was stated.i havent heard all the sounds(roars).also the 3.8 engine is strong and dependable.i dont know who drives and rates these vehicles but i believe they must have been having a bad day or they just dislike ford.i love my van.it handles great looks great.i suggest they hire some new reviewers,then re review this vehicle.