1996 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Where was Edmunds when I needed it?
By Seattle family on 09/23/06 10:06 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

The biggest mistake of our automobile buying lives. We like the room and the ride in general. But it is now limited to going only to Home Depot and the dump on weekends. I would never trust it outside our neighborhood. Replaced everything so far, including engine. Read the other reviews here. They won't say anything we can't say.

I Hate Ford: The sad Windstar tale
By Ashwin Ramesh on 05/05/06 15:35 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

The day I bought my Windstar, I thought I was going to have lots of fun with it and go on many adventures. However, I had a disappointment. After 15,000 miles, the transmission blew up. Then, at 20,000 miles, I had to replace a gasket. Finally, at 30,000 miles, the car caught fire in my garage! I had to call the fire department, because my house caught fire with it!

Had pretty good luck so far.
By RonL on 10/27/05 13:26 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Bought van in '99 with 33,000 miles. Transmission rebuilt right after purchase under warranty. (Thank you, Ford!) Bought extended warranty, never used it. Items replaced so far - tie rod ends, power steering pump. We tow snowmobiles with it, no problems pulling. Check engine light comes on occasionally, usually after long trips. Very comfortable ride, no major engine problems to date w/ 120,000 miles. Only paid $13k for van in '99, and it has served us well. Not a Honda by any means, but we didn't pay Honda prices. If I get another year or 2 out of this van I think I will have got more than my money's worth.

What happened to Ford?
By Robert on 02/27/05 17:28 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

This has to be one of the worst automobiles ever made.I once was a big Ford supporter but after owning this van I will never buy another Ford again. Transmission problems, front end problems; just a terrible van.This is an automobile that is used for family outings. Stay away from Fords.

FORD (Frequent Overhaul Repair Damage)
By Getting _Me_A_Honda on 12/29/04 06:18 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Bought new - continuing trips to the dealership for repair from the first 100 miles (now have 70K miles) while under warranty and the problems described by other posts just escalated after warranty expired. Total cost of repairs to date: $5,000.00. NO MORE. Buying a Honda CR-V this week. Most unfriendly mechanics, but with a product this bad one should expect nothing but bad.

Still Runnin'
By Northwest Guy on 09/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Like many posts here, had no serious problems to speak of until 75K mi. The sensitivity of the oxygen sensors; ultimately replaced them all; head gasket went this year at 84K. I've owned a number of 4 different Fords since 1982; not perfect by any stretch but this year had to replace the engine in a 1994 Honda Civic with 104K - That's NEVER supposed to happen with them; have owned Toyotas (3), Mazda and an Acura. Fact is, NONE of these cars have been perfect. This van was the best deal on the road when we bought in 1997 with 29K. It is a comfortable vehicle that has been surpassed by newer versions by competitors.

3.8L FWD - Ford Stinks
By ca2stay on 07/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Had a 91 Taurus (3.8L FWD) tranny @ 25k & 54k miles. Traded in for 96 Windstar LX 3.8L FWD. Tranny started giving trouble slipping @ 50k and finally replaced @ 90k $3k, head gaskets @ 85k $2k and engine still runs poorly, radio/CD @ 50k. Fortunately w/tow package & 4W Disc Brakes so none of the brake pblms my frinds w/drum brakes had. Now CV joints and the rest of the steering and suspension. My wife's next vehicle will be Japanese.

Don't Buy One
By foxult on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Speedometer went out at 49000 miles ($750 not covered by warrantee, of course). Transmission problems under 75000 miles (warrantee). Heater problems at 120000 miles ($1100). Final transmission problems at 124000 miles ($3000). Donated to Goodwill. This van has been nothing but an expensive problem.

Ford is not Quality
By Fred E on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Like most others that own a 96 windstar, at @ 68,000 miles headgasket went out costing $2,500. Ford fixed 95s and declared 96 cured so they told me that it was my problem. I was first in my family to buy Ford and I'm doing my best to tell others in family and whoever else not to buy Ford. I have always bought domestic cars/trucks. This experience has taught me to look global. There is no quality or accountability at Ford

These should all be recalled
By Ike-69 on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Bought the car used with about 28000 miles. Had no problems for a while, then it seemed like a new problem every week. Water pump, alternator, power steering pump, continues problem with brake lines/master cylinder, electrical problems such that it thinks a door is open, so it leaves the dome light on (have just removed this bulb permanently), radio goes out, and now the motor blew at 107,000 miles. I still like Ford, bur this model sucks!