Used 1996 Ford Windstar GL Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Windstar 1996 for sale
By Forrest Jeffery

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

This has been a wonderful car to drive. I drove it to the east coast 3 times. It has new tires in the last 2 years, and a recent complete tuneup. It has air conditioning and it gives a smooth ride.

air conditioning, comfortable seats

None

Too Many Repair Bills
By springers

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

Admittedly bought this car "as is" from a used car lot, but seems like an awful lot in repair bills in one year for a vehicle with only about 110,000 miles: Head gasket $1,700. Alternator $560. Transmission $2,300. Already more in repairs than I paid for it. Which is frustrating as otherwise it's comfortable to drive, and has the room I need to haul stuff around when the seats are taken out.

Comfortable to drive, good visibility, hauling room when seats taken out.

More reliable engine, fix strange electric issues ('door ajar' warning beep and light comes on while driving even though doors are all shut)

Windstar1996 GL
By Jadlcg3

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this van 6 years ago. It had 140,000 miles when I bought it. It ran pretty well. I have had to replace a few very expensive parts. The ABS keeps messing up my front breaks (I have to replace them every year). The speed sensor is bad, and have had to replace the O2 sensors. The rear defrost fried and does not work, thank goodness for my garage. The seats are very heavy to take out, as well. Over-all, the van has been pretty good to me. Has not left me stranded anywhere. I'm able to drive long hauls with no problems. I do wished it had the drivers side sliding door. It's ok, though. My boys call it the NASCAR Van. lol

The power, the room it has, the AC and heat, comfy, and the engine fairly easy to access most parts. It's very reasonable on gas mileage as well, especially, for the mileage it has.

Just make sure that the best engine and tranny parts are put in the vans. In other words, the quality could be better.

Turned In The Clunker
By webwandererx

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

We finally traded our Windstar as our clunker. It served our transportation needs over a decade and it protected us through two accidents. Power steering that growled and Ford replacements that growled worse did not give us confidence about Fords. The worst part was that the Ford dealership was essentially telling me that the vehicle was used up well under 100K. The engine blew up at 80K when a non-dealership mechanic was doing a head gasket leakage test didn't help matters. We were nursing a sick transmission when the CARS program came on. We jumped at the chance!

The five star crash rating came in handy. The engine had reasonable power and road handling was reasonable.

Factory should send out rebuilt power steering units that is quieter than the bad ones! I don't think that Ford cares much about suggestions on minivans since they don't do them anymore!

Lots of problem but will get over it.
By Phil

1996 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

Bought it in 1999, since then problem after problem. Head gasket, transmission, front end, wonder if there are anymore of the service lights at dashboard which is not turn on... but the van has 300K km now and done a lot of towing (pop up trailer) this van is our family pleasure since we have it.

Roomy

More reliable, no need to have service lights because it mean nothing to me.