Used 1996 Ford Windstar LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Most Helpful|
Had pretty good luck so far.
By RonL

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought van in '99 with 33,000 miles. Transmission rebuilt right after purchase under warranty. (Thank you, Ford!) Bought extended warranty, never used it. Items replaced so far - tie rod ends, power steering pump. We tow snowmobiles with it, no problems pulling. Check engine light comes on occasionally, usually after long trips. Very comfortable ride, no major engine problems to date w/ 120,000 miles. Only paid $13k for van in '99, and it has served us well. Not a Honda by any means, but we didn't pay Honda prices. If I get another year or 2 out of this van I think I will have got more than my money's worth.

Favorite Features

Seating is excellent, quiet comfortable ride. CD stereo system has better sound than my wifes $30K Honda, Tons of room, we removed the back seat and use it like a pickup.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality.

Where was Edmunds when I needed it?
By Seattle family

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

The biggest mistake of our automobile buying lives. We like the room and the ride in general. But it is now limited to going only to Home Depot and the dump on weekends. I would never trust it outside our neighborhood. Replaced everything so far, including engine. Read the other reviews here. They won't say anything we can't say.

Favorite Features

Room when all the seats are out.

Suggested Improvements

Remove them all from the road and turn them into housing for the homeless.

I Hate Ford: The sad Windstar tale
By Ashwin Ramesh

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

The day I bought my Windstar, I thought I was going to have lots of fun with it and go on many adventures. However, I had a disappointment. After 15,000 miles, the transmission blew up. Then, at 20,000 miles, I had to replace a gasket. Finally, at 30,000 miles, the car caught fire in my garage! I had to call the fire department, because my house caught fire with it!

Favorite Features

Nothing!

Suggested Improvements

Replace exterior with Honda! Replace interior with Honda! Replace engine with Honda! Then, I will buy Windstar again!

FORD (Frequent Overhaul Repair Damage)
By Getting _Me_A_Honda

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought new - continuing trips to the dealership for repair from the first 100 miles (now have 70K miles) while under warranty and the problems described by other posts just escalated after warranty expired. Total cost of repairs to date: $5,000.00. NO MORE. Buying a Honda CR-V this week. Most unfriendly mechanics, but with a product this bad one should expect nothing but bad.

Favorite Features

Room. A/C. Heater. Wide view. Comfort .

Suggested Improvements

FIX your product. Improve quality, reliability, and get some real professional help in your service department. Maybe get some training from Toyota or Honda. I've had no problem dealing with them - courtesous, friendly and professional. Their products speak for itself !

What happened to Ford?
By Robert

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

This has to be one of the worst automobiles ever made.I once was a big Ford supporter but after owning this van I will never buy another Ford again. Transmission problems, front end problems; just a terrible van.This is an automobile that is used for family outings. Stay away from Fords.

Favorite Features

Nothing.

Suggested Improvements

Refund anyone that has purchased one of these disasters.