1996 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Windstar 1996 for sale
By Forrest Jeffery on 04/16/10 21:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This has been a wonderful car to drive. I drove it to the east coast 3 times. It has new tires in the last 2 years, and a recent complete tuneup. It has air conditioning and it gives a smooth ride.

Too Many Repair Bills
By springers on 04/14/10 11:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Admittedly bought this car "as is" from a used car lot, but seems like an awful lot in repair bills in one year for a vehicle with only about 110,000 miles: Head gasket $1,700. Alternator $560. Transmission $2,300. Already more in repairs than I paid for it. Which is frustrating as otherwise it's comfortable to drive, and has the room I need to haul stuff around when the seats are taken out.

Windstar1996 GL
By Jadlcg3 on 12/18/09 10:46 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this van 6 years ago. It had 140,000 miles when I bought it. It ran pretty well. I have had to replace a few very expensive parts. The ABS keeps messing up my front breaks (I have to replace them every year). The speed sensor is bad, and have had to replace the O2 sensors. The rear defrost fried and does not work, thank goodness for my garage. The seats are very heavy to take out, as well. Over-all, the van has been pretty good to me. Has not left me stranded anywhere. I'm able to drive long hauls with no problems. I do wished it had the drivers side sliding door. It's ok, though. My boys call it the NASCAR Van. lol

Turned In The Clunker
By webwandererx on 08/26/09 16:12 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We finally traded our Windstar as our clunker. It served our transportation needs over a decade and it protected us through two accidents. Power steering that growled and Ford replacements that growled worse did not give us confidence about Fords. The worst part was that the Ford dealership was essentially telling me that the vehicle was used up well under 100K. The engine blew up at 80K when a non-dealership mechanic was doing a head gasket leakage test didn't help matters. We were nursing a sick transmission when the CARS program came on. We jumped at the chance!

Lots of problem but will get over it.
By Phil on 09/18/07 21:33 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Bought it in 1999, since then problem after problem. Head gasket, transmission, front end, wonder if there are anymore of the service lights at dashboard which is not turn on... but the van has 300K km now and done a lot of towing (pop up trailer) this van is our family pleasure since we have it.

11 years going strong
By No problems ever on 03/04/07 10:38 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this van new and have had it to the mechanics only twice in all these years; easy to fix carburetor problem just 3 years ago, and fan fix for back seats. Extremely reliable. Everything still works perfectly. Gets 17 mpg, better than the mid-sized SUVs these days.

Where was Edmunds when I needed it?
By Seattle family on 09/23/06 10:06 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

The biggest mistake of our automobile buying lives. We like the room and the ride in general. But it is now limited to going only to Home Depot and the dump on weekends. I would never trust it outside our neighborhood. Replaced everything so far, including engine. Read the other reviews here. They won't say anything we can't say.

I Hate Ford: The sad Windstar tale
By Ashwin Ramesh on 05/05/06 15:35 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

The day I bought my Windstar, I thought I was going to have lots of fun with it and go on many adventures. However, I had a disappointment. After 15,000 miles, the transmission blew up. Then, at 20,000 miles, I had to replace a gasket. Finally, at 30,000 miles, the car caught fire in my garage! I had to call the fire department, because my house caught fire with it!

If your have any sense PLEASE AVOID!
By Intellegent Owner on 01/18/06 19:46 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We got van used (55,000) miles. As is, no warranty, BIG mistake! The first week we had the van, the power steering went out. Then spark plugs needed to be changed. Don't attempt yourself. Front brakes have been changed 5 times. We have a hard time putting key in the ignition. Awful dinging sound when head lights are on sometimes. When it's below 30 degrees out, doors freeze shut, then won't close after you get in. Replaced water pump and now I fear we need a new transmission due to van jerking when shifting. I've met 4 people that have trouble with theirs as well! Windstar= LEMON.

still a minivan
By stephen on 01/01/06 21:10 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We bought this car new in '96 because everyone else in the world owned a Dodge Caravan. Drove it for 8 years and 130,000 miles before I wrecked it. Never had any major engine/mechanical problems but Ford's electric system is a joke. The speedometer went out at 90,000 miles, and for the next 3 years it waved between 40 and 90 MPH, so it was unclear how fast we were going. Helped us to slow down though. I rear ended someone going 45 MPH and sustained a broken ankle and some minor scrapes and bruises from the airbags which deployed. To this day, almost a year later, I continue to have shoulder problems resulting from this accident. Served us well, but not too protective!