Under-engineered
By Nocdar on
1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan (1995.5)
Lots of recalls. The door ajar alarm switches are continually a problem, which render the alarm system useless. The whole front end is under- engineered. I'm running on my fourth set of tierod ends. The front torsion bar broke in half about 3 years ago. Last year, the left front coil spring broke on the highway taking out the tire and brake line. This vehicle gets regular highway usage, not bumpy backroads. I've kept the vehicle this long because when there is rain or snow on the ground, it handles very good for what it is. Ground clearance to go through snow or disperse water and slush is great.
Favorite Features
Aerodynamic and fuel efficient at 20 mpg. A 4x8 sheet of plywood will fit, with the seats down and the front seats pulled forward. Great in rain, slush and snow. And the dual air conditioners are a must!
Suggested Improvements
How about using the DOHC 3.8L v6, like my 1999 Sable has. 7 people in the Windstar turns the engine into a real dog. In fact, why haven't we seen a Windstar Super Sport? Everyone's done the SUV thing till they're sick. Minivans have yet to be tricked out by the manufacturers!!!