Used 1995 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

its a mini van!
By henry1971

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

its been good to me other than the tell tail head gasket going around the usual 100,000 mile mark, i did it myself and saved a bunch of money, i would not buy another older one though, it took me to freekin days to change the head gaskets, i would probably buy a newer one. gas hawg!

Favorite Features

it still rides nice after 122K

Suggested Improvements

motor and trans.

Buy a tow truck
By mechanix

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I bought this vehicle with 50k,got a "great"deal: at 52k; replaced head gasket ,under extended warranty,at 62k replaced transmission,also under extended warranty. This vechicle takes more vacations than I do. 84k,Just got it out of the dealership for leaking trans,new tie rods,and motor mounts (Fixed), short in air bag circuit(on going problem).Hello Honda, GOODBYE Ford

Favorite Features

Fairly comfortable ride, when it's not in the repair shop.

Suggested Improvements

Send your design engineers to Japan for some refresher courses.

F.O.R.D.= Found on the Road Dead
By Brain

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

At 40,000 miles, the engine had to be replaced as a result of a gasket. The gasket was fixed after the recall, however the engine broke down 2000 miles afterwards and Ford would said it wan't related. Good thing we had the dealership warrantee. I have had the brakes fixed at least 4 times at $600 a pop. I went through 2 sets of tires before having the toe on the rear wheels adjusted. One can get a workout closing the side doors. The heat comes on when it feels like it. The entire car vibrates above 30 mph. The bottom line is this is my second ford and my last!

Favorite Features

No one is tempted to steal it.

Suggested Improvements

Start a new Van plateform.

the best family vacation van
By J.B.Moore

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Taking good care of this car means a lot;although Ford engines are not the most reliable, using in my car synthetic oil 5W-30(as the manufacturer recommends),saved me from troubles. I also have to mention the oil change every 3000 mi.Transmission fluid was also replaced every 15000 mi.Altogether this is not a race car(do not push it beyond its limits), but which demands the same careful maintenance as being one.

Favorite Features

Dashboard angled towards driver,powerful A/C, easy towing.

Suggested Improvements

The engine needs a little more "zip", at 3.8L it absolutely needs 200hp. An electronic compass and thermometer wouldn't hurt anybody!

It'll cost you.
By Nocdar

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Pluses: Ground clearance makes driving in snow a breeze, dual air- conditioners, 20-21 mpg. Minuses: Recalls, Coil springs broke, door ajar alarm comes on in damp weather, bushings in idler pulley for serpentine belt seized up while on highway (yikes),lots of tie rod ends replaced. Money spent on repairs would have gotten me into a much more reliable vehicle. Which in 1995 would have been the Toyota.

Suggested Improvements

I'd start with the under-engineered front suspension. The windshield wiper wells need to go, they collect ice and snow.