1995 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Quality is NOT Job 1
By MountainMan on 03/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

After months of research, sold after 8 yrs(intended to keep much longer) and got a Honda Odyssey. US made engines look like 90yr old cardiac arrest patients on life support. Honda's is more like art work. We never expierenced the head gasket problem but after the research felt the odds were to great(esp if used for vactions/long trips). We were having trans problems. When it comes to head gasket&trans reliability, I'd say it's not a matter of if they develop, but when. I feel Ford cut corners to save a few bucks that end up costing consumers hunderds, even thousands. After owning 4 Fords, I suspect it extremely unlikely that I will ever own another.

Worst car ever purchased
By KBadcar on 03/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

Bought this car used in early 1997 with 38,000 miles on it. Had no idea what I was in for. By 68,000 (only 30,000 put on by me) I had replaced the computer, the head gasket and the transmission. By 72,000 miles, the transmission was gone again and the AC was blowing anti freeze into the car.

Crappy Ford Windstar
By u29577 on 03/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

This is the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. At least once a year you have to sink major money (over $500) into it to keep it running.

don't buy one a 95 Windstar
By unhappy_in_the_cold on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This car leaves us on the side of the road regularly. The car feels good inside, rides rather smoothly, but is surprisingly unreliable for a drivetrain built on the Taurus mechanicals. Engine 3.8L has good acceleration but gulps gas.

My hunk of junk
By Flower on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

I have at least one recall a year on the breaks,and trans every 2 years. Every one in my family hates the car. (Except my 6 year old son because when ever we go over a inch hole in the groud at 20mph the back of the car goes flying up) This car is just an over sized shopping cart with a 6cyl.

Unreliable
By brettt on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

The interior and exterior are sharp and very functional. The accessories are acceptable and preform normally. The drive train and critical components are severly lacking reliability. I put 4 transmissions (3 under warranty), a replacment head gasket and a computer. These are common complaints about the 95/96 Windstar. New transmissions/engines are no better as there are design flaws. I didn't know you could buy the whole citrus tree.

My last Ford vehicle
By Call me stupid on 12/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

BLOWN HEAD GASKETS at 67,749 - 78,330 - 116,731 miles. Note that the two repairs failed to last as long as the original (which was an acknowledged design or manufacture defect). Each time the dealer claimed the problem has been resolved and now Ford has refused to extend their arbitrary 7 year 100,000 mile program. There is no reason to expect a "factory trained technician" is any more qualified to fix these problems than an independent mechanic. Yes, I had the TRANSMISSION BUILT too.

7 Factory Recalls
By tony22r on 12/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

7(!) Factory Recalls! -blown head gaskets, twice -2 transmissions, failed plungers -"Check Engine" light has been constantly ON since new. -weatherstripping falling off -trim, interior falling apart -had a defective, leaky RIM since new! -Electrical problems -Has been towed more times than we can Count! Do NOT buy a Ford Windstar!

Will never buy a Ford again
By acer111 on 12/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

It has had a new lower engine. Then replaced Head Gaskets, Then the whole engine, then ABS sensors, then front rotors, then continuous engine check lites, then Airbag light, then speedometer goes haywire. IT DOESNT STOP. Rear windows stopped closing. Power locks stoppped working. NEVER GET ANOTHER FORD.

Unjust Ratings???
By ABE on 11/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

We are the original owners of a Ford Windstar. In just the last month, in researching things for an additional minivan, I was surprised to find the '95 Windstar so poorly rated. Thru our 52,000 miles, I'd say our ownership experience as been supurb overall. Part of that was a fine dealer that took care of the few, annoying minor bugs quickly and at no cost. They were: 1) A missing storage tray under the passenger seat upon delivery, 2) The ABS brake light turning on recall; and, 3) The head gasket recall. Other than these things, our experience has been supurb.