Used 1995 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Sad Tale of My Windstar
By the_five_js

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

I purchased a 95 Windstar 1 yr old with 15K mi. At first it ran well, great comfort and ride. Then came head gasket failure, resulting in engine rebuild. Ford recalled engines, a year after $4000 bill. Also replaced brake system (2x), trans, speedo head (3x @ $350 a pop). The door ajar chime always turned on/off at random. Towards the end cruise control and FI system failed. I got 140K miles out of this beast, but at WAY too high a cost of ownership. Just donated it to charity since repair estimates were greater than value. To anyone considering Windstars (any year but especially '95), be smart and look elsewhere -- no matter what the price!

Great interior comfort; exceptionally smooth ride; good power from 3.8L V6

Windstar has been replaced by Freestar, but anyone considering a Freestar should be warned of Windstar legacy!

The WIndstar
By glhouk

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

I have owned my Windstar for about six years. It has proved to be a very good vehicle. Its ride is very comfortable and it is very quiet inside. It has most all the options I need and want and is very versitile. It has great cargo room when seats are removed. I have automatic lights and mirror which I appreciate and the electronic dash has all the information I want. I have driven many newer vans and still have not found one the equal of mine.

The electronic dash. The comfortable arm rests of cloth and the door trim which is cloth. Good visibility. Automatic lights and dimming mirror.

Could use a little more power in the engine. I would like an electric compass and backup warning sensors.

My last ford ever
By Ernie Votava

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Problems: head gasket; door chimes (all the time); wipers work sometimes; check engine half the time; seat belts broke in back; HUGE cruise off button was easy to accidentally hit; this was the first vehicle ever that I had to look at the radio to do anything with it. Volume, on/off, presets, every button was the same size and feel. F.O.R.D: Full Of Retarded Design.

The check engine light never needed to be replaced. Everything else did. Towed ok w/ tranny cooler. Comfy ride when it ran.

Replace interior w/ Honda design. Replace exterior w/ Honda design. Put a Honda emblem on the hood. Then I'll buy the Windstar again.

Very Unreliable Vehical
By Zohaib

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

I bought this car used one year old with 20,000 miles. It ran fine for the first two years. Then after that the car started costing. First the A/C compressor broke causing the entire A/C system to fail. That cost me $3,000 dollars. Then the transmition, that cost me another $2,500.Rack on pinion and power steering-$900. Head Gasket-$800. Water pump-$300. Power steering again-$250. axels, cb joint, etc. This list could go on forever. This vehical has cost me over $11,500 in repairs in a 5 year period.

Rear A/C and radio controls. Rear door unlock button.

I think this whole cars powertrian, and mechanical parts should be completely redone.

1995 Windstar my Family Wagon
By cxdign04

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

This has been a good car. However, there are some specific problems with Head gaskets. Ford gave me an extended warrantee until 100,000 miles or 7 years. The head gaskets blew at 107,000 miles, resulting in a large bill ($2,500). I am fixing this car because I believe it will last many more years...I in spite of this problem this car has been good to me.

Premium Sound --- Aux A/C & Heating -- Remote rear windows -- excellant luggage capacity--- Drives Great on the Highway...very stable at high speeds!!

Too late...Ford replaced it with the Freestar...so we'll see if they learned anything...