Used 1995 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

A Faithful Friend
By Mike Smith

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

This vehicle served its intended purpose well - it was a reliable, comfortable and overall fairly inexpensive means of transportation for my family. My wife used it to take my kids around and we used it for family trips. It never gave me any serious problems and got decent fuel mileage. The most important feature of this van was that it saved our lives when we crashed into the back end of a stopped Z-71 Pickup on Rt. 40 in Arkansas. Our van was totaled, the air bags popped, the belts tightened, etc. - the worst injury we had was a broken toe when I kicked the passenger side footwell just before the crash. Thank you Ford!

AIR BAGS!

Dont Buy, Lemon, Lemon Sitting In My Yard
By christ

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

3 transmissions, 2 engines, only one covered by Ford, another new head gasket for second engine,$1,500 in brakes, broken sway bar, locks lock and unlock while driving, and now only drivers side lock works. I can’t open the back hatch or the light stays on and can’t turn it off and then the battery dies. Antilock brake sensors in front have had to be replaced. The dealer didn't stand behind this van. I called about the transmission and no heat 31 days after I purchased it. I bought it from a Dodge dealer with an extended warranty for an extra $1,800 and they sold me a Dodge warranty, which no one would honor except a lot over one hour away. Ford didn’t stand behind this van, I made many attempts. I have put on 31,000 in four years, cause it never runs.

Nothing, the radio doesn’t even work. You have to hit the dash for it to come on, when it shuts itself off, and it’s a factory radio/cassette. Look at the Ford recalls on this thing, they will only fix it they think is necessary.

Scrap yard décor. I wouldn't even sell this van, it’s a lemon. I bought for my kids and it was all I could afford. I would not put my kids in this lemon thing. Ford has many of my complaints on file and won't help, and the dealer told me it was my problem.

Wish I'd Traded It Sooner
By The Hooks

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

We just spent $2,000 on a rebuilt transmission hoping to keep the car until the 12 month repair warranty ran out. Unfortunately two months in the head gasket blew and now we're out of luck. We bought it with 38K miles and thank God we paid for the extended warranty. Still spent a lot over the years on brakes, electrical, etc. Ford did cover the head gaskets three years ago but now their extended warranty has expired. Can't figure out how Ford expects buyers to return in the face of such poor reliability and their unwillingness to stand behind the product.

Convenience for hauling the family and friends. Most of the cockpit features were OK.

Ford must do much better in terms of mechanical systems. Can't afford to take the risk of buying a new Ford 500 and then starting to pay through the nose for maintenance.

Really?
By fordbsb

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

Well, the ford windstar has taken me
places when i could depend on it and it
is very reliable, even though you have
the flat tires and the bad brakes, but
everyone gets that. It is very
comfortable on the inside and is clean
and nice on the outside. It is quiet
and suitable for 8 people!

My favorite is the center console because it can hold like, tons of things. I also like the automatic headlamps because you dont have to worry about if you left the lights on or not.

They do need more horsepower though because when carrying a lot of people, it is very slow. But it still gets you there and they also need to make the front doors a little lighter that they are, but in all, its a pretty good vehicle for a full fleged family! :)

Don't buy a Ford
By armstrongh

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Usual Ford problems - Head gasket
failure, engine failure, transmission
failure, door chimes, etc.. This van
now has 74,500 miles on it, but would
have more if it was ever out of the
repair shop. Stay away from Fords.

Build a decent van. Nothing worked as advertised.