1995 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Sad Tale of My Windstar
By the_five_js on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I purchased a 95 Windstar 1 yr old with 15K mi. At first it ran well, great comfort and ride. Then came head gasket failure, resulting in engine rebuild. Ford recalled engines, a year after $4000 bill. Also replaced brake system (2x), trans, speedo head (3x @ $350 a pop). The door ajar chime always turned on/off at random. Towards the end cruise control and FI system failed. I got 140K miles out of this beast, but at WAY too high a cost of ownership. Just donated it to charity since repair estimates were greater than value. To anyone considering Windstars (any year but especially '95), be smart and look elsewhere -- no matter what the price!

The WIndstar
By glhouk on 04/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I have owned my Windstar for about six years. It has proved to be a very good vehicle. Its ride is very comfortable and it is very quiet inside. It has most all the options I need and want and is very versitile. It has great cargo room when seats are removed. I have automatic lights and mirror which I appreciate and the electronic dash has all the information I want. I have driven many newer vans and still have not found one the equal of mine.

My last ford ever
By Ernie Votava on 02/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Problems: head gasket; door chimes (all the time); wipers work sometimes; check engine half the time; seat belts broke in back; HUGE cruise off button was easy to accidentally hit; this was the first vehicle ever that I had to look at the radio to do anything with it. Volume, on/off, presets, every button was the same size and feel. F.O.R.D: Full Of Retarded Design.

Very Unreliable Vehical
By Zohaib on 12/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

I bought this car used one year old with 20,000 miles. It ran fine for the first two years. Then after that the car started costing. First the A/C compressor broke causing the entire A/C system to fail. That cost me $3,000 dollars. Then the transmition, that cost me another $2,500.Rack on pinion and power steering-$900. Head Gasket-$800. Water pump-$300. Power steering again-$250. axels, cb joint, etc. This list could go on forever. This vehical has cost me over $11,500 in repairs in a 5 year period.

1995 Windstar my Family Wagon
By cxdign04 on 12/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This has been a good car. However, there are some specific problems with Head gaskets. Ford gave me an extended warrantee until 100,000 miles or 7 years. The head gaskets blew at 107,000 miles, resulting in a large bill ($2,500). I am fixing this car because I believe it will last many more years...I in spite of this problem this car has been good to me.

its a mini van!
By henry1971 on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

its been good to me other than the tell tail head gasket going around the usual 100,000 mile mark, i did it myself and saved a bunch of money, i would not buy another older one though, it took me to freekin days to change the head gaskets, i would probably buy a newer one. gas hawg!

Buy a tow truck
By mechanix on 11/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I bought this vehicle with 50k,got a "great"deal: at 52k; replaced head gasket ,under extended warranty,at 62k replaced transmission,also under extended warranty. This vechicle takes more vacations than I do. 84k,Just got it out of the dealership for leaking trans,new tie rods,and motor mounts (Fixed), short in air bag circuit(on going problem).Hello Honda, GOODBYE Ford

F.O.R.D.= Found on the Road Dead
By Brain on 11/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

At 40,000 miles, the engine had to be replaced as a result of a gasket. The gasket was fixed after the recall, however the engine broke down 2000 miles afterwards and Ford would said it wan't related. Good thing we had the dealership warrantee. I have had the brakes fixed at least 4 times at $600 a pop. I went through 2 sets of tires before having the toe on the rear wheels adjusted. One can get a workout closing the side doors. The heat comes on when it feels like it. The entire car vibrates above 30 mph. The bottom line is this is my second ford and my last!

the best family vacation van
By J.B.Moore on 10/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Taking good care of this car means a lot;although Ford engines are not the most reliable, using in my car synthetic oil 5W-30(as the manufacturer recommends),saved me from troubles. I also have to mention the oil change every 3000 mi.Transmission fluid was also replaced every 15000 mi.Altogether this is not a race car(do not push it beyond its limits), but which demands the same careful maintenance as being one.

It'll cost you.
By Nocdar on 10/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Pluses: Ground clearance makes driving in snow a breeze, dual air- conditioners, 20-21 mpg. Minuses: Recalls, Coil springs broke, door ajar alarm comes on in damp weather, bushings in idler pulley for serpentine belt seized up while on highway (yikes),lots of tie rod ends replaced. Money spent on repairs would have gotten me into a much more reliable vehicle. Which in 1995 would have been the Toyota.