Used 1995 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1995 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

2 Windstars - Over 100k Miles each!
By lovewindstars

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

We purchased a 1995 Windstar from a private party in 2002 from a soldier's wife on Ft. Carson. I have to say this car has been a REMARKABLE dream to own. We have had ZERO major repairs and have been incredibly impressed with this Windstar. We have had one tune up, one alignment, new tires twice, one serpentine belt replaced, and new brake pads a couple of times. and 100% Mobil1 synthetic oil changes. It runs quiet, stays straight, and never fails to start and run well. We keep wanting to trade it in, but it's almost become a challenge to keep this one going to see JUST HOW MANY MILES we can put on it with the original transmission and engine!

Favorite Features

Privacy glass, center console, cd player (aftermarket Sony), roomy!

Suggested Improvements

Paint after 10 years is starting to come up on the side striping; that's it! Leather, sunroof, etc would be nice but for a 10 year old van this CANNOT be beat! looks fairly new. We used to go through security and they need the year and never believed us when we said 1995!

I won't do this again!
By Bruce Heckman

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

Car has been an expensive nightmare -- head gasket repair, transmission repair, bad electrical system, swallowed a valve. We were initially pleased with this van, but it has been a non-stop money pit. The service at the Ford dealers has been the worst automotive experience of my life. Never again.

Favorite Features

Good leather interior and ergonomic layout. Like the pushbutton external door lock system.

Suggested Improvements

Need a reliable engine and driveline, together with a reliable electrical system (blinking lights, buzzing door alarms, etc., etc.).

No Problems
By DoubleL

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I have just hit 150k in my Windstar and have had very few problems. A starter and my interior lights stayed on once (sensor problem); always drive sanely and take good care of it. Still looks and drives beautifully.

Favorite Features

Ride, comfort, room.

Suggested Improvements

Mpg, power steering noisy.

grrr!
By !@#$%^&*

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This has to be one of the worst vehicles ever produced. In six years and 52000 miles, the transmission was rebuilt, courtesy of Carmax, after one month. It was replaced with a Ford rebuild at 62,000 miles. The head gasket and front end gasket were also replaced at this time, courtesy of an extended warranty I purchased. A month later, it left us stranded 1,000 miles from home, 13 hours into our vacation. Ford put in a rebuilt engine and gave me $125 towards a $700 bill to rent a small car to continue our vacation. The new engine runs worse than the first, stalling at the worst times and surging at others. The dome lights stay on when itís damp out making for a fun time driving at night. Now the ABS and brake lights are on.

Favorite Features

I'm glad that my time is almost done with this piece of junk.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should admit that they made a huge mistake when they made Windstars and Freestars. You can find bad reviews about them everywhere. It's too bad that I didn't see one before I bought. t's easy to see why Ford is hurting now. They ignore their customers. My next minivan will be a Toyota. Go Imports!

A Faithful Friend
By Mike Smith

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

This vehicle served its intended purpose well - it was a reliable, comfortable and overall fairly inexpensive means of transportation for my family. My wife used it to take my kids around and we used it for family trips. It never gave me any serious problems and got decent fuel mileage. The most important feature of this van was that it saved our lives when we crashed into the back end of a stopped Z-71 Pickup on Rt. 40 in Arkansas. Our van was totaled, the air bags popped, the belts tightened, etc. - the worst injury we had was a broken toe when I kicked the passenger side footwell just before the crash. Thank you Ford!

Favorite Features

AIR BAGS!