1995 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
2 Windstars - Over 100k Miles each!
By lovewindstars on 08/25/05 20:10 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

We purchased a 1995 Windstar from a private party in 2002 from a soldier's wife on Ft. Carson. I have to say this car has been a REMARKABLE dream to own. We have had ZERO major repairs and have been incredibly impressed with this Windstar. We have had one tune up, one alignment, new tires twice, one serpentine belt replaced, and new brake pads a couple of times. and 100% Mobil1 synthetic oil changes. It runs quiet, stays straight, and never fails to start and run well. We keep wanting to trade it in, but it's almost become a challenge to keep this one going to see JUST HOW MANY MILES we can put on it with the original transmission and engine!

I won't do this again!
By Bruce Heckman on 07/04/05 13:36 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

Car has been an expensive nightmare -- head gasket repair, transmission repair, bad electrical system, swallowed a valve. We were initially pleased with this van, but it has been a non-stop money pit. The service at the Ford dealers has been the worst automotive experience of my life. Never again.

No Problems
By DoubleL on 05/01/05 16:26 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I have just hit 150k in my Windstar and have had very few problems. A starter and my interior lights stayed on once (sensor problem); always drive sanely and take good care of it. Still looks and drives beautifully.

grrr!
By !@#$%^&* on 03/11/05 18:52 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This has to be one of the worst vehicles ever produced. In six years and 52000 miles, the transmission was rebuilt, courtesy of Carmax, after one month. It was replaced with a Ford rebuild at 62,000 miles. The head gasket and front end gasket were also replaced at this time, courtesy of an extended warranty I purchased. A month later, it left us stranded 1,000 miles from home, 13 hours into our vacation. Ford put in a rebuilt engine and gave me $125 towards a $700 bill to rent a small car to continue our vacation. The new engine runs worse than the first, stalling at the worst times and surging at others. The dome lights stay on when it’s damp out making for a fun time driving at night. Now the ABS and brake lights are on.

A Faithful Friend
By Mike Smith on 02/22/05 17:27 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

This vehicle served its intended purpose well - it was a reliable, comfortable and overall fairly inexpensive means of transportation for my family. My wife used it to take my kids around and we used it for family trips. It never gave me any serious problems and got decent fuel mileage. The most important feature of this van was that it saved our lives when we crashed into the back end of a stopped Z-71 Pickup on Rt. 40 in Arkansas. Our van was totaled, the air bags popped, the belts tightened, etc. - the worst injury we had was a broken toe when I kicked the passenger side footwell just before the crash. Thank you Ford!

Dont Buy, Lemon, Lemon Sitting In My Yard
By christ on 12/30/04 13:15 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

3 transmissions, 2 engines, only one covered by Ford, another new head gasket for second engine,$1,500 in brakes, broken sway bar, locks lock and unlock while driving, and now only drivers side lock works. I can’t open the back hatch or the light stays on and can’t turn it off and then the battery dies. Antilock brake sensors in front have had to be replaced. The dealer didn't stand behind this van. I called about the transmission and no heat 31 days after I purchased it. I bought it from a Dodge dealer with an extended warranty for an extra $1,800 and they sold me a Dodge warranty, which no one would honor except a lot over one hour away. Ford didn’t stand behind this van, I made many attempts. I have put on 31,000 in four years, cause it never runs.

Wish I'd Traded It Sooner
By The Hooks on 11/29/04 22:37 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

We just spent $2,000 on a rebuilt transmission hoping to keep the car until the 12 month repair warranty ran out. Unfortunately two months in the head gasket blew and now we're out of luck. We bought it with 38K miles and thank God we paid for the extended warranty. Still spent a lot over the years on brakes, electrical, etc. Ford did cover the head gaskets three years ago but now their extended warranty has expired. Can't figure out how Ford expects buyers to return in the face of such poor reliability and their unwillingness to stand behind the product.

Really?
By fordbsb on 09/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

Well, the ford windstar has taken me places when i could depend on it and it is very reliable, even though you have the flat tires and the bad brakes, but everyone gets that. It is very comfortable on the inside and is clean and nice on the outside. It is quiet and suitable for 8 people!

Don't buy a Ford
By armstrongh on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Usual Ford problems - Head gasket failure, engine failure, transmission failure, door chimes, etc.. This van now has 74,500 miles on it, but would have more if it was ever out of the repair shop. Stay away from Fords.

I love my van
By telestai on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

It has been very faithful. Very nice interior with leather seats,etc. Great for family camping trips, holds everything. Exterior is showing its age. Recently put in $2500 for head gasket.