Used 1995 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1995 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Most Helpful|
A Faithful Friend
By Mike Smith

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

This vehicle served its intended purpose well - it was a reliable, comfortable and overall fairly inexpensive means of transportation for my family. My wife used it to take my kids around and we used it for family trips. It never gave me any serious problems and got decent fuel mileage. The most important feature of this van was that it saved our lives when we crashed into the back end of a stopped Z-71 Pickup on Rt. 40 in Arkansas. Our van was totaled, the air bags popped, the belts tightened, etc. - the worst injury we had was a broken toe when I kicked the passenger side footwell just before the crash. Thank you Ford!

Favorite Features

AIR BAGS!

It's been good until now
By boyer

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We have had our van for 8 years. We have not had to put any money into this van until now. On a road trip the transmission goes out. We had to put out $2300 to get a rebuilt trans. I have a feeling that this is not the last of the problems to come. Hopefully I can talk my husband into getting rid of this van before anything else happens. Check engine light wont go off. Scary!!!

Favorite Features

I like that comfort of the ride. It has a lot of room for the kids and their friends. I like the smooth ride too.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should deal with the problems.

Waste of time and Money
By Brandon R

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this car new. It had 3 transmissions, headgasket, a wheel bearing, check engine light problems, ABS light problems,and those are just the big ones before 60,000 miles. When I took it too the junk yard at 130,000 miles the cruise control didn't work, the inside lights stayed on and it chimed, the back wiper didn't work, the transmission was going out again, the check engine light never went off(which the dealer never had an explanation for), and it was VERY well cared for. I have never had anywhere near this many problems with any car and this will be the first and last ford I ever buy.

Favorite Features

Decent power. A lot of room. Comfortable ride when newer. Cold A/C and good heater.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, quality, dealer service,better handling(I know it's a minivan), and not a ford.

Fire caused by
By B. S. Foust

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

I bought mine in February of 2010. A week ago it actually caught fire due to a speed control sensor that should have been replaced under recall. A Ford dealer fixed the wire harness for free but that area still smokes, I loose break fluid and am actually scared of death from this vehicle. The Ford deal refuses to admit the problem is still there even though I took it back the next day with it smoking horribly. At this point I'm dealing with the Ford legal department on the issue because there was a fire and the dealership didn't alert Ford to the issue.

Favorite Features

I do like the body style but the mechanics of this vehicle are terrible.

Suggested Improvements

This vehicle had problems from the start of it's production. If you own one I suggest sending it to the yard. Don't sell it to someone because they are death traps and deaths have been confirmed due to mechanical issues with this vehicle and even causing houses to burn while vehicle is off.

Unless you get a used up model, it's awesome.
By smoo4asw

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We got a used up model, so within a year it was knocking. But based on the service it gave us before it proved just how used up it was, it was awesome. Our Aunt Wilda and Uncle Ray had just gotten a new house the winter after we bought it and it powered up those hills with an aplomb equal to our 2003 F-150 with the 4.6 liter V8. It proved that pushrod technology wasn't totally dead, but it wasn't destined to stay as long as I would like. If it stayed as long as we would have desired, then we would have probably chosen to keep it over the F-150. We really loved it, until it died unfairly.

Favorite Features

The V6 engine that with 180,000 miles had the power of the V8 with significantly fewer miles, the features I loved such as electronic door unlocking system, airbags, a hydraulic trunk and hood, and the fact that rather than being a lemon it had just been over loved by all it's other drivers. In other words, despite it failing unfairly, I still consider everything about it to be a favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

Don't sell it anywhere north of the Mason Dixon line even if it would sell great up there so that all the surviving examples can not be so worn out by the time they get down South. Also, if someone down South owns one, prohibit them from going north of the Mason Dixon line in it. Same way with the contemporary and 2001-2003 Ford Taurus. That way harsh winter drivers won't ruin it and then be mad at Ford.