1995 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Good until too many miles
By Finally gone on 03/01/08 13:50 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

We bought the car used with 26K on it ans will give to charity with 180K. Overall we were pleased to have it for 11 years but wish we could have had a couple more years. Had to replace the head gasket, electrical system poor at the end causing battery to go down. Overall gone on many vacations etc with good room for 7 people. Not sure about transmission at this point, will be good for parts for someone. We fared better than others, and did not pay top dollar after first year from a dealer when it was a "program car" the first year.

A Piece of Garbage
By Stenodactylus on 09/29/07 01:06 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

This is a totally unreliable, poorly built junk mobile and money pit. Ford built the engine out of two different metals that wear at different rates. As a result, it blows head gaskets every couple of years. They did not oficially recall it, but they had a "campaign" where they would repair it at no cost if you happened to bring it to a Ford Dealership. The first time the head gasket blue, it had my family stranded in a bad part of Los Angeles, about 600 miles from home. We had to tow it back and get a rental car to continue on. Since then, we've known its unreliable and haven't risked taking it very far.

Lemon? Maybe?
By Trent on 04/06/06 16:02 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

We have owned our 95 Ford Windstar since it was new. We had one blown headgasket replaced under the recall. A second blown head gasket cost us $1,600.00 (not covered under recall). Transmission slipping for the last year (holding our breath). Radio problems, alternator, door ajar lights wont go off (dead battery frustration). Sliding door fell off several times (was told a defect but Ford won't cover it). Leaking water pump, (very expensive labor). Third head gasket just blew ... (forget it...I just put some head gasket sealant in it and it seams to have fixed that problem). The clogged catalytic converter ended up melting our wiring harness (long story); numerous other small things.

2 Windstars - Over 100k Miles each!
By lovewindstars on 08/25/05 20:10 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

We purchased a 1995 Windstar from a private party in 2002 from a soldier's wife on Ft. Carson. I have to say this car has been a REMARKABLE dream to own. We have had ZERO major repairs and have been incredibly impressed with this Windstar. We have had one tune up, one alignment, new tires twice, one serpentine belt replaced, and new brake pads a couple of times. and 100% Mobil1 synthetic oil changes. It runs quiet, stays straight, and never fails to start and run well. We keep wanting to trade it in, but it's almost become a challenge to keep this one going to see JUST HOW MANY MILES we can put on it with the original transmission and engine!

No Problems
By DoubleL on 05/01/05 16:26 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

I have just hit 150k in my Windstar and have had very few problems. A starter and my interior lights stayed on once (sensor problem); always drive sanely and take good care of it. Still looks and drives beautifully.

The WIndstar
By glhouk on 04/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

I have owned my Windstar for about six years. It has proved to be a very good vehicle. Its ride is very comfortable and it is very quiet inside. It has most all the options I need and want and is very versitile. It has great cargo room when seats are removed. I have automatic lights and mirror which I appreciate and the electronic dash has all the information I want. I have driven many newer vans and still have not found one the equal of mine.

My last ford ever
By Ernie Votava on 02/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Problems: head gasket; door chimes (all the time); wipers work sometimes; check engine half the time; seat belts broke in back; HUGE cruise off button was easy to accidentally hit; this was the first vehicle ever that I had to look at the radio to do anything with it. Volume, on/off, presets, every button was the same size and feel. F.O.R.D: Full Of Retarded Design.

its a mini van!
By henry1971 on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

its been good to me other than the tell tail head gasket going around the usual 100,000 mile mark, i did it myself and saved a bunch of money, i would not buy another older one though, it took me to freekin days to change the head gaskets, i would probably buy a newer one. gas hawg!

Buy a tow truck
By mechanix on 11/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

I bought this vehicle with 50k,got a "great"deal: at 52k; replaced head gasket ,under extended warranty,at 62k replaced transmission,also under extended warranty. This vechicle takes more vacations than I do. 84k,Just got it out of the dealership for leaking trans,new tie rods,and motor mounts (Fixed), short in air bag circuit(on going problem).Hello Honda, GOODBYE Ford

the best family vacation van
By J.B.Moore on 10/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

Taking good care of this car means a lot;although Ford engines are not the most reliable, using in my car synthetic oil 5W-30(as the manufacturer recommends),saved me from troubles. I also have to mention the oil change every 3000 mi.Transmission fluid was also replaced every 15000 mi.Altogether this is not a race car(do not push it beyond its limits), but which demands the same careful maintenance as being one.