1995 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
waste of money
By itsjimsley on 06/20/13 13:19 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

i bought this off the lot back in 95 with 13 miles now has 232,000 worst car ever. 2 raidiators, blown head gaskets,numerous leaks, new catalic converter, air filter, a trillion spark plugs before i figured out fords electrical system is a joke, etc. Car turns off on command, you need 20/50 oil and 91 fuel for a slightly better ride, and car is loud as hell. After all the repairs i made before it finally gave up for good i have 26,000 dollars in maintenence never buy a ford. My fault for not choosing a toyota previa or caravan

Fire caused by
By B. S. Foust on 05/12/10 15:07 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

I bought mine in February of 2010. A week ago it actually caught fire due to a speed control sensor that should have been replaced under recall. A Ford dealer fixed the wire harness for free but that area still smokes, I loose break fluid and am actually scared of death from this vehicle. The Ford deal refuses to admit the problem is still there even though I took it back the next day with it smoking horribly. At this point I'm dealing with the Ford legal department on the issue because there was a fire and the dealership didn't alert Ford to the issue.

Great so far no issues
By Enrique Jr on 05/06/10 21:04 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

Well lets see I have had this van for over a year now and other then the minor stuff that my cousin damaged i would say this van is great everyone complains about electrical I am a chevy man and this is the only ford I like so far and its going on a road trip from Florida to New York and back needs new paint but previous owner used it for delivery he did the heads on it I did work for the van but only thing is its a pain to do any thing to the speed sensor and the plugs to do them take off the wiper shroud trust me its easy that way also killer is shifts hard into 1st gotta figure it out but does not slip well past 280000 miles but speedo is broken sad for the others who complain.

Love the size of this van
By DORIS WhITFIELD on 04/05/10 20:09 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

Of course you'll excited when you get a new car, but it was short lived, because the recall notices started coming. I think I actually took my car, about four or five different times. The last time i took it, they kept my car to long, causing me A big inconvenience. I loved the space of my car, and the fact that I could carry 9 to 12 passengers. Unfortunately at this time my car has so many problems, the thermostat with the running hot is a big problem.

Good until too many miles
By Finally gone on 03/01/08 13:50 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

We bought the car used with 26K on it ans will give to charity with 180K. Overall we were pleased to have it for 11 years but wish we could have had a couple more years. Had to replace the head gasket, electrical system poor at the end causing battery to go down. Overall gone on many vacations etc with good room for 7 people. Not sure about transmission at this point, will be good for parts for someone. We fared better than others, and did not pay top dollar after first year from a dealer when it was a "program car" the first year.

Waste of time and Money
By Brandon R on 01/20/08 04:16 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this car new. It had 3 transmissions, headgasket, a wheel bearing, check engine light problems, ABS light problems,and those are just the big ones before 60,000 miles. When I took it too the junk yard at 130,000 miles the cruise control didn't work, the inside lights stayed on and it chimed, the back wiper didn't work, the transmission was going out again, the check engine light never went off(which the dealer never had an explanation for), and it was VERY well cared for. I have never had anywhere near this many problems with any car and this will be the first and last ford I ever buy.

A Piece of Garbage
By Stenodactylus on 09/29/07 01:06 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

This is a totally unreliable, poorly built junk mobile and money pit. Ford built the engine out of two different metals that wear at different rates. As a result, it blows head gaskets every couple of years. They did not oficially recall it, but they had a "campaign" where they would repair it at no cost if you happened to bring it to a Ford Dealership. The first time the head gasket blue, it had my family stranded in a bad part of Los Angeles, about 600 miles from home. We had to tow it back and get a rental car to continue on. Since then, we've known its unreliable and haven't risked taking it very far.

Lemon? Maybe?
By Trent on 04/06/06 16:02 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

We have owned our 95 Ford Windstar since it was new. We had one blown headgasket replaced under the recall. A second blown head gasket cost us $1,600.00 (not covered under recall). Transmission slipping for the last year (holding our breath). Radio problems, alternator, door ajar lights wont go off (dead battery frustration). Sliding door fell off several times (was told a defect but Ford won't cover it). Leaking water pump, (very expensive labor). Third head gasket just blew ... (forget it...I just put some head gasket sealant in it and it seams to have fixed that problem). The clogged catalytic converter ended up melting our wiring harness (long story); numerous other small things.

OK for what it is, but poor reliability
By PDB on 10/11/05 15:38 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

For a mid-90s minivan, comfort and space is pretty good. Rear seats are very cumbersome to remove to provide more cargo space. Performance was adequate. Main complaint is reliability (or lack thereof). Around the 100k mile mark things went downhill fast. Major repairs in last several years: * Transmission (replaced with low-mileage used one; that one is now slipping) * Electronics/wiring * Alternator * Water pump * Blown head gasket.

2 Windstars - Over 100k Miles each!
By lovewindstars on 08/25/05 20:10 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

We purchased a 1995 Windstar from a private party in 2002 from a soldier's wife on Ft. Carson. I have to say this car has been a REMARKABLE dream to own. We have had ZERO major repairs and have been incredibly impressed with this Windstar. We have had one tune up, one alignment, new tires twice, one serpentine belt replaced, and new brake pads a couple of times. and 100% Mobil1 synthetic oil changes. It runs quiet, stays straight, and never fails to start and run well. We keep wanting to trade it in, but it's almost become a challenge to keep this one going to see JUST HOW MANY MILES we can put on it with the original transmission and engine!