Used 1995 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Unless you get a used up model, it's awesome.
By smoo4asw

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

We got a used up model, so within a year it was knocking. But based on the service it gave us before it proved just how used up it was, it was awesome. Our Aunt Wilda and Uncle Ray had just gotten a new house the winter after we bought it and it powered up those hills with an aplomb equal to our 2003 F-150 with the 4.6 liter V8. It proved that pushrod technology wasn't totally dead, but it wasn't destined to stay as long as I would like. If it stayed as long as we would have desired, then we would have probably chosen to keep it over the F-150. We really loved it, until it died unfairly.

Favorite Features

The V6 engine that with 180,000 miles had the power of the V8 with significantly fewer miles, the features I loved such as electronic door unlocking system, airbags, a hydraulic trunk and hood, and the fact that rather than being a lemon it had just been over loved by all it's other drivers. In other words, despite it failing unfairly, I still consider everything about it to be a favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

Don't sell it anywhere north of the Mason Dixon line even if it would sell great up there so that all the surviving examples can not be so worn out by the time they get down South. Also, if someone down South owns one, prohibit them from going north of the Mason Dixon line in it. Same way with the contemporary and 2001-2003 Ford Taurus. That way harsh winter drivers won't ruin it and then be mad at Ford.

waste of money
By itsjimsley

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

i bought this off the lot back in 95 with 13 miles now has 232,000 worst car ever. 2 raidiators, blown head gaskets,numerous leaks, new catalic converter, air filter, a trillion spark plugs before i figured out fords electrical system is a joke, etc. Car turns off on command, you need 20/50 oil and 91 fuel for a slightly better ride, and car is loud as hell. After all the repairs i made before it finally gave up for good i have 26,000 dollars in maintenence never buy a ford. My fault for not choosing a toyota previa or caravan

Favorite Features

spacious interior, great stereo system

Suggested Improvements

i dont have enough characters to list all its needed improvements

Fire caused by
By B. S. Foust

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

I bought mine in February of 2010. A week ago it actually caught fire due to a speed control sensor that should have been replaced under recall. A Ford dealer fixed the wire harness for free but that area still smokes, I loose break fluid and am actually scared of death from this vehicle. The Ford deal refuses to admit the problem is still there even though I took it back the next day with it smoking horribly. At this point I'm dealing with the Ford legal department on the issue because there was a fire and the dealership didn't alert Ford to the issue.

Favorite Features

I do like the body style but the mechanics of this vehicle are terrible.

Suggested Improvements

This vehicle had problems from the start of it's production. If you own one I suggest sending it to the yard. Don't sell it to someone because they are death traps and deaths have been confirmed due to mechanical issues with this vehicle and even causing houses to burn while vehicle is off.

Great so far no issues
By Enrique Jr

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan (1995.5)

Well lets see I have had this van for over a year now and other then the minor stuff that my cousin damaged i would say this van is great everyone complains about electrical I am a chevy man and this is the only ford I like so far and its going on a road trip from Florida to New York and back needs new paint but previous owner used it for delivery he did the heads on it I did work for the van but only thing is its a pain to do any thing to the speed sensor and the plugs to do them take off the wiper shroud trust me its easy that way also killer is shifts hard into 1st gotta figure it out but does not slip well past 280000 miles but speedo is broken sad for the others who complain.

Favorite Features

A/C ice cold and stereo

Suggested Improvements

interior color that green it has is turning into a royal blue and so far love the blue hate the green.

Love the size of this van
By DORIS WhITFIELD

1995 Ford Windstar Minivan GL 3dr Minivan

Of course you'll excited when you get a new car, but it was short lived, because the recall notices started coming. I think I actually took my car, about four or five different times. The last time i took it, they kept my car to long, causing me A big inconvenience. I loved the space of my car, and the fact that I could carry 9 to 12 passengers. Unfortunately at this time my car has so many problems, the thermostat with the running hot is a big problem.

Favorite Features

As I've stated I love the space and the size, of the internal cabin, and the removal of the sits to carry large objects.

Suggested Improvements

Would love to have a CD player, with MP3 capability and a fourth door.