1995 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Unless you get a used up model, it's awesome.
By smoo4asw on 05/21/14 05:50 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We got a used up model, so within a year it was knocking. But based on the service it gave us before it proved just how used up it was, it was awesome. Our Aunt Wilda and Uncle Ray had just gotten a new house the winter after we bought it and it powered up those hills with an aplomb equal to our 2003 F-150 with the 4.6 liter V8. It proved that pushrod technology wasn't totally dead, but it wasn't destined to stay as long as I would like. If it stayed as long as we would have desired, then we would have probably chosen to keep it over the F-150. We really loved it, until it died unfairly.

Love the size of this van
By DORIS WhITFIELD on 04/05/10 20:09 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Of course you'll excited when you get a new car, but it was short lived, because the recall notices started coming. I think I actually took my car, about four or five different times. The last time i took it, they kept my car to long, causing me A big inconvenience. I loved the space of my car, and the fact that I could carry 9 to 12 passengers. Unfortunately at this time my car has so many problems, the thermostat with the running hot is a big problem.

Waste of time and Money
By Brandon R on 01/20/08 04:16 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this car new. It had 3 transmissions, headgasket, a wheel bearing, check engine light problems, ABS light problems,and those are just the big ones before 60,000 miles. When I took it too the junk yard at 130,000 miles the cruise control didn't work, the inside lights stayed on and it chimed, the back wiper didn't work, the transmission was going out again, the check engine light never went off(which the dealer never had an explanation for), and it was VERY well cared for. I have never had anywhere near this many problems with any car and this will be the first and last ford I ever buy.

OK for what it is, but poor reliability
By PDB on 10/11/05 15:38 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

For a mid-90s minivan, comfort and space is pretty good. Rear seats are very cumbersome to remove to provide more cargo space. Performance was adequate. Main complaint is reliability (or lack thereof). Around the 100k mile mark things went downhill fast. Major repairs in last several years: * Transmission (replaced with low-mileage used one; that one is now slipping) * Electronics/wiring * Alternator * Water pump * Blown head gasket.

grrr!
By !@#$%^&* on 03/11/05 18:52 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This has to be one of the worst vehicles ever produced. In six years and 52000 miles, the transmission was rebuilt, courtesy of Carmax, after one month. It was replaced with a Ford rebuild at 62,000 miles. The head gasket and front end gasket were also replaced at this time, courtesy of an extended warranty I purchased. A month later, it left us stranded 1,000 miles from home, 13 hours into our vacation. Ford put in a rebuilt engine and gave me $125 towards a $700 bill to rent a small car to continue our vacation. The new engine runs worse than the first, stalling at the worst times and surging at others. The dome lights stay on when itís damp out making for a fun time driving at night. Now the ABS and brake lights are on.

Dont Buy, Lemon, Lemon Sitting In My Yard
By christ on 12/30/04 13:15 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

3 transmissions, 2 engines, only one covered by Ford, another new head gasket for second engine,$1,500 in brakes, broken sway bar, locks lock and unlock while driving, and now only drivers side lock works. I canít open the back hatch or the light stays on and canít turn it off and then the battery dies. Antilock brake sensors in front have had to be replaced. The dealer didn't stand behind this van. I called about the transmission and no heat 31 days after I purchased it. I bought it from a Dodge dealer with an extended warranty for an extra $1,800 and they sold me a Dodge warranty, which no one would honor except a lot over one hour away. Ford didnít stand behind this van, I made many attempts. I have put on 31,000 in four years, cause it never runs.

Don't buy a Ford
By armstrongh on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Usual Ford problems - Head gasket failure, engine failure, transmission failure, door chimes, etc.. This van now has 74,500 miles on it, but would have more if it was ever out of the repair shop. Stay away from Fords.

Sad Tale of My Windstar
By the_five_js on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I purchased a 95 Windstar 1 yr old with 15K mi. At first it ran well, great comfort and ride. Then came head gasket failure, resulting in engine rebuild. Ford recalled engines, a year after $4000 bill. Also replaced brake system (2x), trans, speedo head (3x @ $350 a pop). The door ajar chime always turned on/off at random. Towards the end cruise control and FI system failed. I got 140K miles out of this beast, but at WAY too high a cost of ownership. Just donated it to charity since repair estimates were greater than value. To anyone considering Windstars (any year but especially '95), be smart and look elsewhere -- no matter what the price!

1995 Windstar my Family Wagon
By cxdign04 on 12/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This has been a good car. However, there are some specific problems with Head gaskets. Ford gave me an extended warrantee until 100,000 miles or 7 years. The head gaskets blew at 107,000 miles, resulting in a large bill ($2,500). I am fixing this car because I believe it will last many more years...I in spite of this problem this car has been good to me.

F.O.R.D.= Found on the Road Dead
By Brain on 11/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

At 40,000 miles, the engine had to be replaced as a result of a gasket. The gasket was fixed after the recall, however the engine broke down 2000 miles afterwards and Ford would said it wan't related. Good thing we had the dealership warrantee. I have had the brakes fixed at least 4 times at $600 a pop. I went through 2 sets of tires before having the toe on the rear wheels adjusted. One can get a workout closing the side doors. The heat comes on when it feels like it. The entire car vibrates above 30 mph. The bottom line is this is my second ford and my last!