Used 1995 Ford Windstar GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

1995 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Unless you get a used up model, it's awesome.
By smoo4asw

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

We got a used up model, so within a year it was knocking. But based on the service it gave us before it proved just how used up it was, it was awesome. Our Aunt Wilda and Uncle Ray had just gotten a new house the winter after we bought it and it powered up those hills with an aplomb equal to our 2003 F-150 with the 4.6 liter V8. It proved that pushrod technology wasn't totally dead, but it wasn't destined to stay as long as I would like. If it stayed as long as we would have desired, then we would have probably chosen to keep it over the F-150. We really loved it, until it died unfairly.

Favorite Features

The V6 engine that with 180,000 miles had the power of the V8 with significantly fewer miles, the features I loved such as electronic door unlocking system, airbags, a hydraulic trunk and hood, and the fact that rather than being a lemon it had just been over loved by all it's other drivers. In other words, despite it failing unfairly, I still consider everything about it to be a favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

Don't sell it anywhere north of the Mason Dixon line even if it would sell great up there so that all the surviving examples can not be so worn out by the time they get down South. Also, if someone down South owns one, prohibit them from going north of the Mason Dixon line in it. Same way with the contemporary and 2001-2003 Ford Taurus. That way harsh winter drivers won't ruin it and then be mad at Ford.

Love the size of this van
By DORIS WhITFIELD

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Of course you'll excited when you get a new car, but it was short lived, because the recall notices started coming. I think I actually took my car, about four or five different times. The last time i took it, they kept my car to long, causing me A big inconvenience. I loved the space of my car, and the fact that I could carry 9 to 12 passengers. Unfortunately at this time my car has so many problems, the thermostat with the running hot is a big problem.

Favorite Features

As I've stated I love the space and the size, of the internal cabin, and the removal of the sits to carry large objects.

Suggested Improvements

Would love to have a CD player, with MP3 capability and a fourth door.

Waste of time and Money
By Brandon R

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this car new. It had 3 transmissions, headgasket, a wheel bearing, check engine light problems, ABS light problems,and those are just the big ones before 60,000 miles. When I took it too the junk yard at 130,000 miles the cruise control didn't work, the inside lights stayed on and it chimed, the back wiper didn't work, the transmission was going out again, the check engine light never went off(which the dealer never had an explanation for), and it was VERY well cared for. I have never had anywhere near this many problems with any car and this will be the first and last ford I ever buy.

Favorite Features

Decent power. A lot of room. Comfortable ride when newer. Cold A/C and good heater.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, quality, dealer service,better handling(I know it's a minivan), and not a ford.

OK for what it is, but poor reliability
By PDB

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

For a mid-90s minivan, comfort and space is pretty good. Rear seats are very cumbersome to remove to provide more cargo space. Performance was adequate. Main complaint is reliability (or lack thereof). Around the 100k mile mark things went downhill fast. Major repairs in last several years: * Transmission (replaced with low-mileage used one; that one is now slipping) * Electronics/wiring * Alternator * Water pump * Blown head gasket.

Favorite Features

Good usable space for family traveling (main purpose for which it was purchased).

Suggested Improvements

Reliability!

grrr!
By !@#$%^&*

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

This has to be one of the worst vehicles ever produced. In six years and 52000 miles, the transmission was rebuilt, courtesy of Carmax, after one month. It was replaced with a Ford rebuild at 62,000 miles. The head gasket and front end gasket were also replaced at this time, courtesy of an extended warranty I purchased. A month later, it left us stranded 1,000 miles from home, 13 hours into our vacation. Ford put in a rebuilt engine and gave me $125 towards a $700 bill to rent a small car to continue our vacation. The new engine runs worse than the first, stalling at the worst times and surging at others. The dome lights stay on when itís damp out making for a fun time driving at night. Now the ABS and brake lights are on.

Favorite Features

I'm glad that my time is almost done with this piece of junk.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should admit that they made a huge mistake when they made Windstars and Freestars. You can find bad reviews about them everywhere. It's too bad that I didn't see one before I bought. t's easy to see why Ford is hurting now. They ignore their customers. My next minivan will be a Toyota. Go Imports!