Used 2012 Ford Transit Connect Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Transit Connect - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Transit Connect model:

Exactly right for dealing with city traffic.
By Tom Bright

2012 Ford Transit Connect Cargo Van XLT 4dr Minivan w/Side & Rear Glass (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Okay, so the Microsoft hands-free is laughably, pathetically clueless. Hope Ford got a freebie, since a Microsoft badge is glued to the dash. Cabin noise on California's crumbling roads has reached 109 dB, about as loud as standing behind a jet taking off. I buy earplugs by the case, but then I have for 40 years.

But there are so many positives. The standard lock-unlock sequence protects me in crummy neighborhoods (unlocks the cargo doors while leaving the driver door locked, and vice versa). Interior lights go on for in-and-out, but if I leave the doors open in the garage for extended loading time, the lights go out after a few minutes. Very thoughtful. Not sure why the power points are always on, so I unplug the dash cam if the truck won’t be used for several days.

1,600-pound payload includes me and gas — my full-size pickup is only rated for 1,100 lbs. Many SUVs are overloaded if you simply take three friends with you and top up the gas. The Transit is not on tippy-toes when empty, not wallowy when loaded to the limit. Don’t know how they did it.

Spec Continentals kept picking up nails: eight in 15,000 miles. Switched to Federal, a Taiwan copy. Great tires, and cheaper. On my third set at 85,000 miles. Don’t replace the wheels with alloys, as they may not be rated for the payload

22-24 mpg combined, 25 on occasion.

Did some successful endurance racing back in the 70s, so I really appreciate the seats and view out front. This is the final English Ford design, I think, and shows off its performance heritage.

Progressive-rate steering is correctly mild on center, but allows flicking to full lock, at which turns snap to 90º. Low center of gravity, low cargo floor. Antilock brakes stop on a dime, straight and true. Traction control light comes on when I overdo it on off camber onramps, so I know it’s watching and helping. All controls within easy reach. A clear jump-in/jump-out path through the door to the driver’s seat make it the perfect setup for extended shifts of multiple stops.

Few failures: RF caliper (warranty), a tiny plastic tab in the interior light assembly broke ($78), 3rd brake light assembly failed ($120), coolant reservoir (warranty), one of the push-button keys failed (warranty), the visor is unraveling along one edge, a few inch-long cracks in the wheel covers. Car wash snapped off 4 rear wiper arms, so I’ve yanked them until the drought is over.

Gutless? Not really. Just set your speed before the highway rises and let it rev right out to 6,000. The motor is smooth and reliable: One copier tech’s Focus with this motor finally needed a water pump at 235,000, and another tech replaced his Focus with a Transit Connect a year after I did. When hardware gurus like them, I take their advice.

Would buy another, but the new Spanish-build version does not offer a high roof. The new motor is stronger, though. Get the most doodads, even leather if you can find one. Dealer lead time for custom builds has been as high as 6 months, so you may have to take whatever is on the lot, like I did.

Small, but cost effective
By endeavine

2012 Ford Transit Connect Cargo Van XL 4dr Minivan w/o Side & Rear Glass (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was surprised to see the scathing reviews for the ford transit connect. My experiences were quite different from those mentioned before. I am a subcontractor with dish, and so far, I have nothing to complain about! On average, I get 25 miles to the gallon fully loaded (and I mean LOADED) with some very heavy equipment. This saves me $10,000 on gas a year versus most other chevy express vans in my fleet. Yes, it may not be the best to drive or accelerate, but if you've bought a work van for comfort or acceleration, you might want to pick a desk job instead. Overall, great little reliable and efficient van, as long as you don't overload it of course. Going strong at 95,000 miles.

Gas savings, maneuverability, cargo space, price, and features.

none.

Poor Choice
By ttheroux

2012 Ford Transit Connect Cargo Van XL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Glass (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We have operated about 10 of these in our fleet, model years 2010, 2011 and 2012.
They all have the same reliability issues, tranmissions failures, we have replaced at least 5 of these, radiators start leaking and assorted electrical issues that lead to overheating.
These issues started occuring at 40k -50k miles and we do not carry heavy loads so it is was not abuse.
It all comes down to one thing, they used an undersized passenger car drivetrain and tried to pass it off for commercial use.
It is a great idea, but Ford totally botched the execution.
Let's hope they learned some leasons with the new design.

Did I mention that all have a weird musky smell inside?

The sizing is perfect for our application.

Once you realize that a vehicle has a reliability issue, fix it for the subsequent model years. The 2012 should not have the same issues as the 2010's.

This van is a joke
By jimr91

2012 Ford Transit Connect Wagon XLT 4dr Minivan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I use a Transit at work transporting college students around. I have never been more disappointed with a new car. the only pros are the goofy look, which I like, and the head room. Everything else on the van is awful. The steering is extremely stiff to the point my hands hurt toward the end of my shift. The seats are very uncomfortable and don't have the right kind of support you need to sit in a car for long periods of time. The van i use has 30k miles on it and it has 1 hubcap left on it. It has been in the shop numerous times for brake issues and electrical problems. I have hope for the new redesigned ones but these cars are junk and are way to overpriced.

Poor design and reliability
By twigfield

2012 Ford Transit Connect Cargo Van XLT 4dr Minivan w/o Side & Rear Glass (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

As a business owner I bought this to replace my 1996 ford explorer with over 300,000 miles. I was suppose to get 21 to 26 mpg. I get 19.5, only 3 mpg better than my v-8 explorer. Same roads, driver and payload. This is most likely due to the extremely underpowered engine which has to work hard to pull hills in western MD. Needs to drop 2 gears to travel up hills on interstate. 6200 RPM right below redline to travel 70 mph on these hills. Forget acceleration-it doesn't exist. Good vehicle for around town but not made to drive on highways. Salesman told me power wuld not be a problem. Yeah, read any article.

None

I'm a small person but both the storage panel in dash and in center console are too small to get hand into to retrieve anything. No light in glove compartment. (Saved $0.56). Power window buttons center console (Saved $4.32) Cigarette lighter (garmin) looses power intermittently. Battery been dead at lest 15 times. Not a problem according to Ford. Cheapest made vehicle I've ever owned. Grill fell off in first week. Noisy. Dash lights and headlights go out when you turn off vehicle, making you think lights are out, but othter lights on which run battery dead.