Used 2012 Ford Transit Connect Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Transit Connect

View reviews for a specific Transit Connect model:

Small, but cost effective
By endeavine

2012 Ford Transit Connect Cargo Van XL 4dr Minivan w/o Side & Rear Glass (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was surprised to see the scathing reviews for the ford transit connect. My experiences were quite different from those mentioned before. I am a subcontractor with dish, and so far, I have nothing to complain about! On average, I get 25 miles to the gallon fully loaded (and I mean LOADED) with some very heavy equipment. This saves me $10,000 on gas a year versus most other chevy express vans in my fleet. Yes, it may not be the best to drive or accelerate, but if you've bought a work van for comfort or acceleration, you might want to pick a desk job instead. Overall, great little reliable and efficient van, as long as you don't overload it of course. Going strong at 95,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Gas savings, maneuverability, cargo space, price, and features.

Suggested Improvements

none.

Poor Choice
By ttheroux

2012 Ford Transit Connect Cargo Van XL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Glass (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We have operated about 10 of these in our fleet, model years 2010, 2011 and 2012. They all have the same reliability issues, tranmissions failures, we have replaced at least 5 of these, radiators start leaking and assorted electrical issues that lead to overheating. These issues started occuring at 40k -50k miles and we do not carry heavy loads so it is was not abuse. It all comes down to one thing, they used an undersized passenger car drivetrain and tried to pass it off for commercial use. It is a great idea, but Ford totally botched the execution. Let's hope they learned some leasons with the new design. Did I mention that all have a weird musky smell inside?

Favorite Features

The sizing is perfect for our application.

Suggested Improvements

Once you realize that a vehicle has a reliability issue, fix it for the subsequent model years. The 2012 should not have the same issues as the 2010's.

This van is a joke
By jimr91

2012 Ford Transit Connect Wagon XLT 4dr Minivan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I use a Transit at work transporting college students around. I have never been more disappointed with a new car. the only pros are the goofy look, which I like, and the head room. Everything else on the van is awful. The steering is extremely stiff to the point my hands hurt toward the end of my shift. The seats are very uncomfortable and don't have the right kind of support you need to sit in a car for long periods of time. The van i use has 30k miles on it and it has 1 hubcap left on it. It has been in the shop numerous times for brake issues and electrical problems. I have hope for the new redesigned ones but these cars are junk and are way to overpriced.

Poor design and reliability
By twigfield

2012 Ford Transit Connect Cargo Van XLT 4dr Minivan w/o Side & Rear Glass (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

As a business owner I bought this to replace my 1996 ford explorer with over 300,000 miles. I was suppose to get 21 to 26 mpg. I get 19.5, only 3 mpg better than my v-8 explorer. Same roads, driver and payload. This is most likely due to the extremely underpowered engine which has to work hard to pull hills in western MD. Needs to drop 2 gears to travel up hills on interstate. 6200 RPM right below redline to travel 70 mph on these hills. Forget acceleration-it doesn't exist. Good vehicle for around town but not made to drive on highways. Salesman told me power wuld not be a problem. Yeah, read any article.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

I'm a small person but both the storage panel in dash and in center console are too small to get hand into to retrieve anything. No light in glove compartment. (Saved $0.56). Power window buttons center console (Saved $4.32) Cigarette lighter (garmin) looses power intermittently. Battery been dead at lest 15 times. Not a problem according to Ford. Cheapest made vehicle I've ever owned. Grill fell off in first week. Noisy. Dash lights and headlights go out when you turn off vehicle, making you think lights are out, but othter lights on which run battery dead.