Nice low cost wheelchair van
By lazybum on
2010 Ford Transit Connect Cargo Van XL 4dr Minivan w/o Side & Rear Glass (2.0L 4cyl 4A)
I am a physically challenge guy who uses a power w/c. Since I'm 6'2" tall I require a vehicle with a lot of headroom. My faithful 92 E-150 had a raised roof but after 16 winter road salt seasons, it was getting all rusted out underneath. Not safe anymore. New w/c vans cost $50K+. I was able to put a Bruan lift in a new Trancon for just under $30K total, and Ford sent me a rebate for $1,200. I get 23 mpg in mixed driving with the A/C on and thats what the Trancon is all about. The headroom is perfect for me. My main gripe is the rear springs are very stiff. Going over some interstate overpasses at 70 mph even with the 330 lb w/c lift in the back is brutal rough, but hay, it's a work truck.
Favorite Features
Gas mileage, easy to park. I don't need to use a handicapped parking stall anymore. 59" of headroom. Most people think they only come in white. My red TC gets lots of attention.
Suggested Improvements
Ford needs to offer a dealer installed soundproofing option. Rear window wipers are a joke. A little more power would be nice on the highway