2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:
I LOVE THIS CAR
By LUV MY BIRD on 11/10/05 04:51 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned my T-Bird for 2 years and it just turned 3000 miles on the odometer (yes, I only drive it on Sundays). I selected the Granite Gray color right off the show room floor and it is indeed a very seductive car. No matter where I go with the top up or down it turns heads and people stop to ask about it. With the hardtop installed and opera windows gleaming it looks ready for a night driving down Broadway Avenue. The smooth V-8 engine coupled with the 5 speed auto transmission runs like a sewing machine. Reliability has been very good with only a minor glitch associated with rear wheel rpm sensor that affected traction control. I intend on owning this vehicle for a very long time.

Excellent Roadster
By Ted on 09/27/05 10:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my '05 T-Bird in April of 2005. This is the first convertible I have owned. I love driving this car. It is extremely quiet with the top up. With the top down there is almost no wind buffeting. There are several roadsters on the road but by far the T-Bird turns more heads and draws more stares. You have to drive it to really understand what a nice car this is.

Manly
By 2004 Thunderbird on 09/23/05 20:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Very few things about this car that I do not find exciting. Will turn many heads, and I'm sure will be a sought after vehicle as time goes by.

Modern Retro
By Roy on 09/13/05 21:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

It looks good. It handles well. It has the latest engine technology, yet its styling harkens back to the '50s. As a kid I thought the 55-57 T-birds were the best looking cars on the road. Now I have the best looking car on the road. Ford claims that the top can be raised or lowered in 20 seconds. They are wrong - It only takes 6.5 seconds to raise or lower the top. And, the single central handle latching mechanism is fantastic.

Best ownership experience of a lifetime
By Tbirdman on 08/27/05 23:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I've been a car lover my entire life. I've owned Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Ford, Dodge and GM Products. The absolute worst experience was my 2001 Mercedes SLK320. Terrible car, arrogant company, worst ownership experience. I liked the style of the new Thunderbird when it was a concept car but thought Ford would surely blow it. Not only did they not blow it ... they NAILED it! It's fun to own and fun to drive. I've read articles about lack-luster interior style. I love the polished aluminum accents. I selected the black-on-black interior because I thought the two-tone made it look too cartoonish. It never fails to attract attention with or without the top down. I love my Thunderbird

Good, but not Great.
By norbert on 08/14/05 12:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

It is Great looking, and it is fun to drive. Still, Ford could have made it a more solid car - lots of rattles after only two weeks.

Happy Days are back!
By Debster on 08/01/05 00:29 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I have test driven many, many convertibles, but when I test drove the T-Bird I was sold. The fit was perfect, the interior retro; the overall styling is a wonderful combination between yesteryear and now. The performance -- unbeatable! A V8 with so much power, you barely need to step on the accelerator. The most fun I've ever had driving. It appeals to young and old alike. I did have one minor issue with the check engine light. I took the car into the dealership but the problem disappeared; they plugged in a mini computer under the dash so when the problem reoccurred, I pressed a button, it recorded the error and they were then able to correct the problem. No problems ever since.

Thunderbird ... great concept, but that's it
By frank in chicago on 07/31/05 23:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

The style is flawless, a definite head turner, excellent performance -- but it ends there. Ford stopped there, the inside needs help. Why cheapen an expensive car like this. With all the technology out there, they decided to give it just the basics. And Ford wonders why it can't sell cars.

TBird's eye view
By R Murphy on 07/31/05 18:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Sweet car that accelerates smoothly and quickly. It is very stable in turns and brakes well. Trunk is small but it does hold a set of clubs and an overnight bag and that is all it needs to. Visibility is good in all directions but the mileage is not as good as some others in the price range.

I love this car
By ED Weiner on 07/29/05 22:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Leased this car in Florida in February and have had fun with it since. Great top down car. Drove up to NH in May and got more clothing into trunk than I thought that we could. Also used the top well for soft clothing on the long trip. Have had the car in for service only for the 5000 mile oil change. The car has great fit and smooth ride. On long trips I have been averaging 24 miles to the gallon. City about 18mpg which I think is good for a large 8 cylinder. Excellent quality all the way.