2005 Ford Thunderbird Premium Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

2005 Thunderbird Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

Sort Reviews by

'05 T-bird
By gfrompitt

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Love this car. Loved it when it came out but was hoping for a standard transmission. Of course that is impossible now days. Car is not really a sports car, more of a sporty couple. It handles great but is no racer. I'd like it to be a little more stiff in the turns but for most people, they'd rather have the comfort ride. Haven't had to put a nickel into it since I've owned it. great car.

Favorite Features

Love the two tops and port-hole hardtop turns lots of heads. people stop me all the time and want to talk.

Suggested Improvements

Just a standard transmission and the tighter suspension.

Drive It Like You Stole It!
By Fearless in Cashmere

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I have always loved the Classic Birds. I used to help my brother Jeff restore them when we were growing up. So when the Retro Birds came out, I had to get one. I waited until the last year & got my 2005 50th Anniversary Thunderbird "Cashmere" Edition #884/1500. This is a very solid car!I trust this car impicitly, having driven it cross-country twice and drive it daily. Still have had NO problems -except a little COP issue (not police officers!), & that's why I gave "Build Quality" a 9. But beyond that, eveything works very well. I got a solid 22mpg city/hwy mix but since I put on a K&N cold air intake I'm up around 24+ even with my driving. I hope you enjoy driving one as much as I do! Peace!

Favorite Features

I love the fact that the sound system automatically changes its scheme depending on whether the top is down, driver only, driver/passenger. Very nice. I love the memory steering wheel too. (It freaked me out a little though when I got in the car the first time...). I also like Randy Perry in Service

Suggested Improvements

I'd have liked to seen the "Retro Birds" to have the swing out steering wheel along with the turn out drivers seat. It would be a great option - especially after a long drive! Pluse, I think it would add so me elegance to it. You know, "Form meeting Function"? And improve inside glare on dash panel.

Cure for mid life crisis
By Mike Lombardo

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Call it middle age crisis, but I love to drive it and be seen in it. As soon as I get behind the wheel I feel 10 years younger.

Favorite Features

Got to be top down on a warm summer night. Also hit the gas and she GOES.

Suggested Improvements

More head room would be nice, and a manual transmission would make this a true sports car.

2002 Thunderbird
By R. Bryant

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I have enjoyed driving this vehicle. The take off from a standstill isn't quite as good as I think it should be. The passenger side isn't quite as comfortable as the driver's side is. The only real complaint I have is the top leaked and it took several trips to the shop to remedy the problem. If you aren't a real big person and you like people to notice your car, this is the car for you. It's a fun car to drive. I plan on keeping mine a long time.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the seats, stereo system, convertible, and color.

Suggested Improvements

Make sure the top doesn't leak.

I LOVE THIS CAR
By LUV MY BIRD

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned my T-Bird for 2 years and it just turned 3000 miles on the odometer (yes, I only drive it on Sundays). I selected the Granite Gray color right off the show room floor and it is indeed a very seductive car. No matter where I go with the top up or down it turns heads and people stop to ask about it. With the hardtop installed and opera windows gleaming it looks ready for a night driving down Broadway Avenue. The smooth V-8 engine coupled with the 5 speed auto transmission runs like a sewing machine. Reliability has been very good with only a minor glitch associated with rear wheel rpm sensor that affected traction control. I intend on owning this vehicle for a very long time.

Favorite Features

Distinctive design. Smooth V-8 engine. Interior controls.

Suggested Improvements

Improve design of front hardtop latching screws - they are difficult to align in screw holes.

Excellent Roadster
By Ted

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my '05 T-Bird in April of 2005. This is the first convertible I have owned. I love driving this car. It is extremely quiet with the top up. With the top down there is almost no wind buffeting. There are several roadsters on the road but by far the T-Bird turns more heads and draws more stares. You have to drive it to really understand what a nice car this is.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable seats. Very quiet with the top up. Hard top easy to remove. Top retracts very fast and is extremely easy to lock and unlock. Very quiet engine. Subtle rumble from the real dual exhaust.

Manly
By 2004 Thunderbird

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Very few things about this car that I do not find exciting. Will turn many heads, and I'm sure will be a sought after vehicle as time goes by.

Favorite Features

Style, porthole, handling, lines. The whole bit.

Suggested Improvements

Trunk open button.

Modern Retro
By Roy

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

It looks good. It handles well. It has the latest engine technology, yet its styling harkens back to the '50s. As a kid I thought the 55-57 T-birds were the best looking cars on the road. Now I have the best looking car on the road. Ford claims that the top can be raised or lowered in 20 seconds. They are wrong - It only takes 6.5 seconds to raise or lower the top. And, the single central handle latching mechanism is fantastic.

Favorite Features

Look, feel, and that fantastic convertable top.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade the CD player to handle MP3 format disks.

Best ownership experience of a lifetime
By Tbirdman

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I've been a car lover my entire life. I've owned Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Ford, Dodge and GM Products. The absolute worst experience was my 2001 Mercedes SLK320. Terrible car, arrogant company, worst ownership experience. I liked the style of the new Thunderbird when it was a concept car but thought Ford would surely blow it. Not only did they not blow it ... they NAILED it! It's fun to own and fun to drive. I've read articles about lack-luster interior style. I love the polished aluminum accents. I selected the black-on-black interior because I thought the two-tone made it look too cartoonish. It never fails to attract attention with or without the top down. I love my Thunderbird

Favorite Features

Favorite features: interior and exterior design, ride, handling, performance and the overall "I don't pass my car every time I leave the driveway" experience of owning a unique automobile.

Suggested Improvements

Don't stop production!

Good, but not Great.
By norbert

2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

It is Great looking, and it is fun to drive. Still, Ford could have made it a more solid car - lots of rattles after only two weeks.

Favorite Features

The retro look and the "Cashmere" color. The pick-up is also very good.

Suggested Improvements

More attention to eliminating rattles - convertibles have 'em, but not this many, this soon.