2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:
For Style and A Very Smooth Ride
By w77collins on 08/25/08 15:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

People will ask you about this car whenever you pump gas or are out and about. The ride is super smooth as the car weighs nearly 4000lbs. The 280 hp Lincoln LS engine makes a wonderful roar and the exhaust is tuned to rumble at idle. Turn off the traction control and you can easily burn the tires for a few seconds with a little braking off the line but not without. Expect seven second zero to sixty. The traction control is awesome. The five speed transmission always finds a gear to give you a lot of kick if you go throttle wide open.

Classic
By Townsend on 02/10/08 09:53 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

This car is a wonderful 2 seat luxury convertable. I love driving this car with either the top down or with the classic port hole hard top. I get remarks from everyone about how beautiful this car is. The 280 hp engine has plenty of power for this cruiser. A very smooth shifting 5 speed automatic transmission. Excellent audio system with fingertip controls. I have the Premium model with heated seats and homelink, all of the power creature comforts found in a luxury car! This car is rewarding to drive because I get such a kick out of cruising in this 2 seat romantic classic reminisent of the t-bird heritage when cars were Fun! At todays prices these cars are of tremendous value!

New Classic
By RB on 01/14/08 08:17 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

This T-Bird is by far the most enjoyable retro-classic 2 seat roadster to have on Sunday drives for this 49 yo driver! At a used price of $25000 for a 3 year old Red Premium convertable with hardtop that had sold for over $40000 new, this car is of terrific value to me. It is a luxury sport cruiser that just leaves a smile on my face when driving, easy smooth handling with plenty of power, and a wonderful conversation piece getting compliments everywhere! I'm done with Corvettes, Miata's, and Mustangs at this stage of life and really enjoy my retro bird for a relaxing cruise with the top down. Just a great car for this purpose!

Thunderbird
By SISU Bird on 08/08/07 14:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I have always loved the looks of the old T-birds and thought that one day I'd purchase one. For our 25th anniversary my husband surprised me with the 2004 Pacific Coast Highway edition. Love it just as much as the old birds! I baby this car - I don't take it out of the garage until May when the salt has long washed off the roads. Nor, does it come out if the sky even looks like rain. I have the hard top but the only time it has been on the car is when I picked up the hardtop from the dealers. I've limited myself to 2,000 miles a year so the car is virtually like new. The only problem I've had with it is that the alarm system doesn't always activate.

Fun, Fun, Fun
By Chuck's '04 PCR on 04/27/07 22:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I love my bird! For the first year, all I had to do was sit down behind that little hood scoop and I'd get this enormous grin. Like the others have said, you get a gazillion comments and many envious looks. We got the PCR for the grey top and interior since we were going to move to FL and didn't want the heat of the black top and interior. For those who don't know, this is a Lincoln LS shortened by 6"; the LS is essentially a Jaguar S-Type with a de-tuned engine. So I have to laugh when I see or hear comments about the "little" car! The lines are so perfect that you don't realize it's full-sized, but I have to pay a small weight penalty with my FL plates every year! Keeping it forever.

So Much For So Little
By Wayne Brooks on 09/22/06 05:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

When I saw the Thunderbird in a car magazine I ran to my Ford Dealership and said I want one. He told me it would be $10,000 over sticker. I said I would wait until they had 10 of them and balloons hanging off of them in a few years. That was in 2000; I waited four years. And saw two of them on the Ford lot. Went in and bought it for $3000 off. It is the only car I have ever owned more than a year that I still can't get enough of it. I love the complements. Very reliable. No leaks, no problems.

rims/tires
By Gene on 04/11/06 09:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Ford does not stand behind product. Tires leak air as much as 15 pounds per week. Have been to 3 dealerships 6 times and they refuse to acknowledge rim problem as others and tire dealers have told me is the problem. Ford wants to glue the rims to tires and void tire warranty. Every tire leaks different amount of air, have kept daily log but they still refuse to acknowledge rim problem.

T bird
By Steve on 12/27/05 02:09 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I am 6'2 and have problems driving the vehicle. I am also a mechanic, and find it very difficult to do the simplest of all chores on this vehicle. I am not a fan of the automatic transmission; I think Ford should have offered a five speed or six speed manual with the vehicle. The car does rattle and have some squeaks, but that's a Ford product for ya. Also the hard top leaks and is difficult to put on. Pros - the car is a head turner. Everywhere I go with it, people look. The seats are indeed comfortable, and the sound system is really nice. As for design, I love the way it emulates the old T-birds. The convertible top is great, and it's easy to operate. The 3.9L V8 runs smoothly.

Strange issues
By SFV-Man on 08/16/05 00:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

The charm and joy of driving is great. The quirks heating (SaunaBird) of the interior when idling is awful, transmission still slams into Drive, clock (third) still runs slow, rattling top, electronic bugs, lack of amenities (like a stripped Lincoln LS), etc. For the price this is a slapped together car. Too bad. Many trips to dealer did not work out the problems. Ford didn't help. Ford made this car an orphan and dropped it at the orphanage. Bill Ford should be ashamed.

Thunderbird Ride
By David F. Candelaria on 03/20/05 19:36 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

My wife and I, who are in our early 50's were looking for a convertible for Sunday and getaway drives to the coast. We test drove several cars, all convertibles, a Crossfire SRT (330 h.p.), a Nissan 350 & a Vette. The Crossfire was simply too small. The Vette actually body swayed at high speeds. The Nissan was nice but too many on the road. The T-Bird was perfect! We got the premium package and it's a great ride with good road feel and more than enough power with 280 horses. It's a very comfortable ride and the Select Shift is good on curved roads. The stereo is great with three settings for top down, up and driver alone in car. Further, there's not too many on the road.