Used 2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

Faulty Rims
By Robin

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible w/Removable Hard Top (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I too have had major problems with the tires leaking air. Dealer said there was no problem. Tire company says, and this was after 2 new tires had to be purchased prematurely....PROBLEM is the RIMS are faulty at the factory. I have had problems with 2 wheel...and now starting with my THIRD.

Stand behind this and recall the wheels FORD!

Things can go wrong
By Linda

My T-bird has had 6 engine coils replaced in less then 52,00 miles. The radio/CD player replaced 4 times. The engine thermostat replaced along with fan assembly. The hard top leaks and ford refuses to fix. It is normal to have some leakage. The brakes replaced 4 times. No I am not hard on brakes. The driver side rear quarter panel no longer lays flat with rest of body surface. The car stopped dead on the 15 freeway coming from Vegas in the fast lane without warning. The black paint faded in spots. The soft top frays in two areas. The T-bird fun to drive. But very expensive and does not provide the quality expected from Ford. Or does it?

Replacement insurance or warranty extended. Recall of car for common complaints by current owners.

Semi Happy Owner
By Jal Brd

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Hello,I have owned my T-bird over 5 years. I have replaced the engine coils 4x,the radio 3x, the hardtop leaks when it rains and at car washes. Has anyone else had these problems? I love driving my Bird. The long trips across country comfortable and enjoyable unless it rains with the hard top on.

Being able to drive with the hard top, soft top or topless. The seats are comfortable. The sound system loud and proud. The body stying of the car exciting.

Having not to replace the engine coils so often. The radio needs more endurance. The hard top roof better rubber gasket to prevent leaks at the windshield contact points.

Appropriate for all ages
By Parkway Cruiser

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Yep, old enough to remember when the first Thunderbird appeared in late 1954. Got my T-bird fifty years later after testing a Z4, Corvette, and S2000. Never fails to bring a smile during sunny days on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Fifty years gets you a five-speed shiftable automatic, refined interior, understated lines, and one of the highest-tech V8s on the planet. A daily driver with mileage in the 20s, until you press the loud pedal. Goes fast,fast. Best of all, everything is fixable by your local Ford dealer at Taurus rates. The power top operates easily, with only one latch needed to snug it up. The cloth top is lined and quiet, but it is a shame to drive this car with the top up

Smooth ride, no-surprise handling and more than adequate performance for American drivers on American roads. The engine response and sound alone is well worth the price of admission. Probably the best buy in used roadsters.

Should the 'bird ever see production again, a retractable hard top would be the best of both worlds.

My mint green
By BIG BEAR RODDER

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I'm 58, a hot rodder, and owned over 100 cars. I had no intention of buying one of these, until I drove one! I bought used with 18,500 miles. I'm getting around 26 MPG with my foot in it. I live in the mountians and love the way I can take curves at 2-3 times faster than any of my privious cars.I use the select shift like a manual. This car romps! They say 280 HP. They lie!

Color, "vintage mint green" only 612 produced. Black and white interior.

A little more room behind the front seats for my dog!