Used 2004 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

New Classic
By RB

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

This T-Bird is by far the most enjoyable retro-classic 2 seat roadster to have on Sunday drives for this 49 yo driver! At a used price of $25000 for a 3 year old Red Premium convertable with hardtop that had sold for over $40000 new, this car is of terrific value to me. It is a luxury sport cruiser that just leaves a smile on my face when driving, easy smooth handling with plenty of power, and a wonderful conversation piece getting compliments everywhere! I'm done with Corvettes, Miata's, and Mustangs at this stage of life and really enjoy my retro bird for a relaxing cruise with the top down. Just a great car for this purpose!

Favorite Features

Power top, can go up or down while at the stop light! Power steering wheel adjusts in and back to preset automatically with egress! Steering wheel media controls with mute! 280 hp that's there for passing! Removable port hole hardtop for change of seasons.

Suggested Improvements

N/A

Thunderbird
By SISU Bird

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I have always loved the looks of the old T-birds and thought that one day I'd purchase one. For our 25th anniversary my husband surprised me with the 2004 Pacific Coast Highway edition. Love it just as much as the old birds! I baby this car - I don't take it out of the garage until May when the salt has long washed off the roads. Nor, does it come out if the sky even looks like rain. I have the hard top but the only time it has been on the car is when I picked up the hardtop from the dealers. I've limited myself to 2,000 miles a year so the car is virtually like new. The only problem I've had with it is that the alarm system doesn't always activate.

Favorite Features

Everything about it!

Fun, Fun, Fun
By Chuck's '04 PCR

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I love my bird! For the first year, all I had to do was sit down behind that little hood scoop and I'd get this enormous grin. Like the others have said, you get a gazillion comments and many envious looks. We got the PCR for the grey top and interior since we were going to move to FL and didn't want the heat of the black top and interior. For those who don't know, this is a Lincoln LS shortened by 6"; the LS is essentially a Jaguar S-Type with a de-tuned engine. So I have to laugh when I see or hear comments about the "little" car! The lines are so perfect that you don't realize it's full-sized, but I have to pay a small weight penalty with my FL plates every year! Keeping it forever.

Favorite Features

Looks! I still get jealous when I see my wife driving it! Drives like a dream, really holds the road nicely. Seats are comfortable for my 6', overweight, bad back. Stereo sounds good. Did I say it's gorgeous? Even little kids smile and point it out! After 3 yrs, I still grin like an idiot

Suggested Improvements

Mileage could be a bit better. French tranny could use a downshift cable and not hang out in neutral so much. I get tired of it slamming back into gear. Has been in the shop far too much for a $40k+ vehicle from 2004. Open trunk lid drips into the trunk, roof drips on your leg when the door's open.

So Much For So Little
By Wayne Brooks

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

When I saw the Thunderbird in a car magazine I ran to my Ford Dealership and said I want one. He told me it would be $10,000 over sticker. I said I would wait until they had 10 of them and balloons hanging off of them in a few years. That was in 2000; I waited four years. And saw two of them on the Ford lot. Went in and bought it for $3000 off. It is the only car I have ever owned more than a year that I still can't get enough of it. I love the complements. Very reliable. No leaks, no problems.

Favorite Features

The style! The Red! The comments!

Suggested Improvements

The "Thunderbird" insignia on the rear has come unglued twice because of the curve of the body. Fix it.

rims/tires
By Gene

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Ford does not stand behind product. Tires leak air as much as 15 pounds per week. Have been to 3 dealerships 6 times and they refuse to acknowledge rim problem as others and tire dealers have told me is the problem. Ford wants to glue the rims to tires and void tire warranty. Every tire leaks different amount of air, have kept daily log but they still refuse to acknowledge rim problem.

Favorite Features

Looks.

Suggested Improvements

Ford does not stand behind product. Have called Ford directly 2 times and emailed them 3 times, no response. Have been to 5 dealers on same problem six times to no avail.