2004 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:
Still Fun, Fun, Fun
By Chuck's '04 PCR on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Thunderbird Premium 2dr Convertible w/Removable Hard Top (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

This is an update of my earlier review (Fun, Fun, Fun Written by: Chuck's '04 PCR on 04/27/2007) OK, 3.5 years later & she's a daily driver. Still love the car, but sure am glad I got the 7-yr/100k warranty. I have replaced 7 of the 8 coils (actually Ford has), and I am just waiting for the last one to get bad enough to replace. Ford has extended the warranty on the COPs (Coil on Plug) to 10 yrs/100,000 miles, so any replacements should be free. I have not had any problems with the replaced coils. Just replaced the thermostat & upper radiator hose at 71k. I take it to a Lincoln dealer for service, since it is essentially a Lincoln LS and the Ford guys typically know nothing about the car.

2004 t bird
By ricebird on 07/21/10 18:32 PM (PDT)

2004 tbird premium. When I purchased the car I was told not to take it through the car wash as the pressure would break the seals. I have not done this and have no leaks and wind noise free. One bad thing is the coils I have had 6 replaced so far.

Could Not Help Myself
By corkyf on 05/05/10 19:32 PM (PDT)

A neighbor of my announced Friday that he wanted to sell his 2004 Pacific Coast Roadster T-bird with 16,300 miles. Monday I owned a T-bird. I drove it yesterday on a 350 mile trip and am very impressed with the car. It has less wind noise than any other convertible I've owned. It cruises on the highway great and has super 60 to 80 passing power on two lane roads. The seats are comfortable and the radio/cd player sounds good. The top is a breeze to put up and down. Mine has the original tires and they ride great. This car makes a super adult roadster. It rides great and has very nice retro styling. Baby Boomers can't do better. I think buying one now is a great investment.

Perfect - well almost
By UncleTurbo on 03/14/10 20:06 PM (PDT)

After a deer motorcycle accident I bought my T'bird for the top down experience and sold the motorcycles. While not as fast as my previous sport bike, the T'bird does rip. If you let it rev it will pull like a maniac and is plenty fast. It also corners surprising well, nice and flat and very predictable. Perhaps not a track car, but definitely fun in the mountains. Very quiet ride with the top down, smooth ride on the highway. Just very nice car to drive. Not a big trunk but big enough for weekend bags or picnic stuff. The space behind the seats is a handy space for the dog, or a bag, or a cooler. What keeps it from perfect is bad ignition coils. Bought used at 24K miles, 54K now.

Love my Bird !
By Angie on 11/02/09 08:23 AM (PST)

My son wrecked what I thought was to be my last car-- a 2004 Mercedes c230 coupe that I dearly loved ! Searching the net for a replacement I came across a 2004 T-Bird at a "give away" price.Took a look and I was hooked !! I'm a 71 year old woman, alone now, but when I drive my T-Bird, top down & Elvis playing, oh boy, the joy and the memories !! It doesn't get the 36mpg of the Mercedes- but is a gas saver anyway- can't fit the family so I get chauffeured around a lot ! I haven't regretted buying this car for one second-the stand out design in today's world predominated with S.U.V.s and hybrids brings a big smile to my face whenever I look at it ! It's a beauty !

Faulty Rims
By Robin on 10/25/09 06:48 AM (PDT)

I too have had major problems with the tires leaking air. Dealer said there was no problem. Tire company says, and this was after 2 new tires had to be purchased prematurely....PROBLEM is the RIMS are faulty at the factory. I have had problems with 2 wheel...and now starting with my THIRD.

Things can go wrong
By Linda on 10/06/09 19:44 PM (PDT)

My T-bird has had 6 engine coils replaced in less then 52,00 miles. The radio/CD player replaced 4 times. The engine thermostat replaced along with fan assembly. The hard top leaks and ford refuses to fix. It is normal to have some leakage. The brakes replaced 4 times. No I am not hard on brakes. The driver side rear quarter panel no longer lays flat with rest of body surface. The car stopped dead on the 15 freeway coming from Vegas in the fast lane without warning. The black paint faded in spots. The soft top frays in two areas. The T-bird fun to drive. But very expensive and does not provide the quality expected from Ford. Or does it?

Semi Happy Owner
By Jal Brd on 08/30/09 09:01 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Hello,I have owned my T-bird over 5 years. I have replaced the engine coils 4x,the radio 3x, the hardtop leaks when it rains and at car washes. Has anyone else had these problems? I love driving my Bird. The long trips across country comfortable and enjoyable unless it rains with the hard top on.

Appropriate for all ages
By Parkway Cruiser on 12/26/08 19:31 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Yep, old enough to remember when the first Thunderbird appeared in late 1954. Got my T-bird fifty years later after testing a Z4, Corvette, and S2000. Never fails to bring a smile during sunny days on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Fifty years gets you a five-speed shiftable automatic, refined interior, understated lines, and one of the highest-tech V8s on the planet. A daily driver with mileage in the 20s, until you press the loud pedal. Goes fast,fast. Best of all, everything is fixable by your local Ford dealer at Taurus rates. The power top operates easily, with only one latch needed to snug it up. The cloth top is lined and quiet, but it is a shame to drive this car with the top up

My mint green
By BIG BEAR RODDER on 09/21/08 19:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I'm 58, a hot rodder, and owned over 100 cars. I had no intention of buying one of these, until I drove one! I bought used with 18,500 miles. I'm getting around 26 MPG with my foot in it. I live in the mountians and love the way I can take curves at 2-3 times faster than any of my privious cars.I use the select shift like a manual. This car romps! They say 280 HP. They lie!