Used 2004 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

Semi Happy Owner
By Jal Brd

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Hello,I have owned my T-bird over 5 years. I have replaced the engine coils 4x,the radio 3x, the hardtop leaks when it rains and at car washes. Has anyone else had these problems? I love driving my Bird. The long trips across country comfortable and enjoyable unless it rains with the hard top on.

Favorite Features

Being able to drive with the hard top, soft top or topless. The seats are comfortable. The sound system loud and proud. The body stying of the car exciting.

Suggested Improvements

Having not to replace the engine coils so often. The radio needs more endurance. The hard top roof better rubber gasket to prevent leaks at the windshield contact points.

Appropriate for all ages
By Parkway Cruiser

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Yep, old enough to remember when the first Thunderbird appeared in late 1954. Got my T-bird fifty years later after testing a Z4, Corvette, and S2000. Never fails to bring a smile during sunny days on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Fifty years gets you a five-speed shiftable automatic, refined interior, understated lines, and one of the highest-tech V8s on the planet. A daily driver with mileage in the 20s, until you press the loud pedal. Goes fast,fast. Best of all, everything is fixable by your local Ford dealer at Taurus rates. The power top operates easily, with only one latch needed to snug it up. The cloth top is lined and quiet, but it is a shame to drive this car with the top up

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, no-surprise handling and more than adequate performance for American drivers on American roads. The engine response and sound alone is well worth the price of admission. Probably the best buy in used roadsters.

Suggested Improvements

Should the 'bird ever see production again, a retractable hard top would be the best of both worlds.

My mint green
By BIG BEAR RODDER

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I'm 58, a hot rodder, and owned over 100 cars. I had no intention of buying one of these, until I drove one! I bought used with 18,500 miles. I'm getting around 26 MPG with my foot in it. I live in the mountians and love the way I can take curves at 2-3 times faster than any of my privious cars.I use the select shift like a manual. This car romps! They say 280 HP. They lie!

Favorite Features

Color, "vintage mint green" only 612 produced. Black and white interior.

Suggested Improvements

A little more room behind the front seats for my dog!

For Style and A Very Smooth Ride
By w77collins

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

People will ask you about this car whenever you pump gas or are out and about. The ride is super smooth as the car weighs nearly 4000lbs. The 280 hp Lincoln LS engine makes a wonderful roar and the exhaust is tuned to rumble at idle. Turn off the traction control and you can easily burn the tires for a few seconds with a little braking off the line but not without. Expect seven second zero to sixty. The traction control is awesome. The five speed transmission always finds a gear to give you a lot of kick if you go throttle wide open.

Favorite Features

The beautiful interior trim with the deluxe package and the matching hardtop. Go for the deluxe package with the hardtop if you can. The two tone interior and heated seats make it worth it.

Suggested Improvements

Expect 19 mpg if you are driving very easy or 15 mpg if you are launching off of red lights.

Classic
By Townsend

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

This car is a wonderful 2 seat luxury convertable. I love driving this car with either the top down or with the classic port hole hard top. I get remarks from everyone about how beautiful this car is. The 280 hp engine has plenty of power for this cruiser. A very smooth shifting 5 speed automatic transmission. Excellent audio system with fingertip controls. I have the Premium model with heated seats and homelink, all of the power creature comforts found in a luxury car! This car is rewarding to drive because I get such a kick out of cruising in this 2 seat romantic classic reminisent of the t-bird heritage when cars were Fun! At todays prices these cars are of tremendous value!

Favorite Features

Classic look, one button power top down or up convenience that can be done at a stop light. Port hole removable hard top for year round enjoyment. Luxury leather seats and beautiful interior appointments. 280 hp smooth engine with tuned exhaust. Fantastic audio system. Throw back to earlier T-Birds!