Used 2004 Ford Thunderbird Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Thunderbird

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

Still Fun, Fun, Fun
By Chuck's '04 PCR

2004 Ford Thunderbird Premium 2dr Convertible w/Removable Hard Top (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

This is an update of my earlier review (Fun, Fun, Fun Written by: Chuck's '04 PCR on 04/27/2007) OK, 3.5 years later & she's a daily driver. Still love the car, but sure am glad I got the 7-yr/100k warranty. I have replaced 7 of the 8 coils (actually Ford has), and I am just waiting for the last one to get bad enough to replace. Ford has extended the warranty on the COPs (Coil on Plug) to 10 yrs/100,000 miles, so any replacements should be free. I have not had any problems with the replaced coils. Just replaced the thermostat & upper radiator hose at 71k. I take it to a Lincoln dealer for service, since it is essentially a Lincoln LS and the Ford guys typically know nothing about the car.

Favorite Features

V8 Ragtop! Air still blows cold enough to create condensation on the dash. Heated seats. The V8 puts out over 1 HP/CID (280 HP/234 CID) & still gives me 20 mpg! Exhaust is getting a nice growl to it. People still comment, point, & wave. V8 Ragtop in Fla! Gorgeous! If I didn't have one, I'd want one.

Suggested Improvements

More cup hldrs. Regular gas. Auto wipers like wife's Volvo. Trip computer. Compass. USB port for the stereo. Louder stereo. More HP & MPG (I know, I know, but this HP/CID/MPG combo was pretty much unheard of when I was a kid - my '72 Torino 302 was 145 factory HP & 7 MPG before I tinkered w/it)

2004 t bird
By ricebird

2004 tbird premium. When I purchased the car I was told not to take it through the car wash as the pressure would break the seals. I have not done this and have no leaks and wind noise free. One bad thing is the coils I have had 6 replaced so far.

Favorite Features

excellent auto so far and is certainly a head turner.

Suggested Improvements

more trunk room

Could Not Help Myself
By corkyf

A neighbor of my announced Friday that he wanted to sell his 2004 Pacific Coast Roadster T-bird with 16,300 miles. Monday I owned a T-bird. I drove it yesterday on a 350 mile trip and am very impressed with the car. It has less wind noise than any other convertible I've owned. It cruises on the highway great and has super 60 to 80 passing power on two lane roads. The seats are comfortable and the radio/cd player sounds good. The top is a breeze to put up and down. Mine has the original tires and they ride great. This car makes a super adult roadster. It rides great and has very nice retro styling. Baby Boomers can't do better. I think buying one now is a great investment.

Favorite Features

More Power than expected. Quieter than expected...both with top up and down. Transmission is smooth. soft top fabric is better than expected. Radio sounds great & seats are comfortable. Heated seats work great. Good leg room width. Classic looks. Porthole hardtop looks nice.

Suggested Improvements

The pacific coast roadster has synthetic suede inserts in the seats instead of full leather. They look great now, but I don't think they will wear as well as full leather over the next 20 years. Otherwise it's perfect!

Perfect - well almost
By UncleTurbo

After a deer motorcycle accident I bought my T'bird for the top down experience and sold the motorcycles. While not as fast as my previous sport bike, the T'bird does rip. If you let it rev it will pull like a maniac and is plenty fast. It also corners surprising well, nice and flat and very predictable. Perhaps not a track car, but definitely fun in the mountains. Very quiet ride with the top down, smooth ride on the highway. Just very nice car to drive. Not a big trunk but big enough for weekend bags or picnic stuff. The space behind the seats is a handy space for the dog, or a bag, or a cooler. What keeps it from perfect is bad ignition coils. Bought used at 24K miles, 54K now.

Favorite Features

Great looks, great feel on the road, strong power, easy up and down action of the top. Nothing better to drive on a nice day.

Suggested Improvements

COPS, coil on plug ignition coils is a weakness in design. They run hot and break down after about 30 to 40K miles. Ford has extended warranty coverage for 10 years and 100K miles on COPS but it is a pain when one dies, the motor runs rough until it is fixed. Taints an otherwise super duper car.

Love my Bird !
By Angie

My son wrecked what I thought was to be my last car-- a 2004 Mercedes c230 coupe that I dearly loved ! Searching the net for a replacement I came across a 2004 T-Bird at a "give away" price.Took a look and I was hooked !! I'm a 71 year old woman, alone now, but when I drive my T-Bird, top down & Elvis playing, oh boy, the joy and the memories !! It doesn't get the 36mpg of the Mercedes- but is a gas saver anyway- can't fit the family so I get chauffeured around a lot ! I haven't regretted buying this car for one second-the stand out design in today's world predominated with S.U.V.s and hybrids brings a big smile to my face whenever I look at it ! It's a beauty !

Favorite Features

The medium blue metallic paint with matching tops is perfect for Florida. The stereo system rocks ! The comfortable 2 tone seats,and the ease of entry & exit. The "magic" moving steering wheel.I would like a compass- but Mercedes didn't provide one either- not too expensive to buy one.

Suggested Improvements

No sense suggesting- they are out of production. A good thing for those of us who prefer a more unique head turner for a ride !!