Used 2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

Still loving it
By fred154

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible w/Removable Hard Top (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned this car for nearly nine years now, and I (and everyone else who sees it) still consider it a new car.
It looks great and drives just as smoothly after 32,500 miles as it did when new.
No problems with car whatsoever.
I replaced the battery simply because I had a Firestone rebate that had to be used.
This isn't a family car for daily use, but it is a great toy that still makes an old man feel like a kid again!

Having two roofs for two different looks. Overall sporty design of exterior. Bright color of two-tone red and black interior with bright accents. Six CD player in radio.

Trunk could have been bigger. The low roof makes entry and exit difficult for a big guy.

Ford let 2002 owners down
By Dot

I have owned this car since 2002. I had to replace all 8 coils. It has a design flaw. Ford recongnized this and recalled the 2003,2004 and 2005. Same problem, but decided not to do the right thing for us. I also had to replace the cooling fan 2x @ $900 @ pop A/C the condenser @ $1400 and the catalytic converter for close to $1000. The trim is chrome plated plastic, which is peeling now. It is a sharp looking car, but for a maintained car with 70,000 miles, I have put too much into repair costs. I will never by another Ford (and acronym for Fix Or Repair Daily)

Sharp-looking, great pick-up

Ford- stand behind your product AND if you recall a problem for some years, do it for all the years with the same problem. Would be nice if you used trim that doesn't peel.

2002 Ford Thunderbird w/hardtop
By 2002 Thunderbird

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible w/Removable Hard Top (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I've had several cars that I've bought "NEW", and this beats all of them hands down. It's not a race car, but it will keep up with anything on the road. The gas mileage is good, the car is fun to drive, and, everywhere I stop, everyday, someone comments about what a nice car I have, EVERYDAY, for eight years that I've owned the car. That makes me a very proud owner. I recently had a man with a brand new corvette offer to trade me straight across. He was serious, but, I would have been the loser had I traded with him. I love my car and you couldn't trade me ten corvettes for it.

With one exception, I love everything about the car. I don't like the traction control. When ya accelerate on snow or ice, the engine cuts back. This is something a good driver does, not a computer.

675 horses might be fun but, the car is a classic, not a dragster. So, the 252 horses are just fine.

Don't buy a 2002
By dondi

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased this Thunderbird for my wife as a "fun car" and gave it to her for Christmas. Within the first week we experienced COP (Coil on Plug) failures. Dealership repaired it under the used car warranty. The following May, with less than 1200 miles added, we once again had a coil on plug failure. (4 bad coils so far). The dealership once again repaired it. It is now 15 months later and we have two more coils failing. That averages out to 1 per thousand miles. Ford initially placed a 10 year/100k mile warranty on the 2003 only model. They have since added the 2004 and 2005 models. The 2002 model owners are left to pay for their own repairs. The COP units are the same for all years

Styling, the wife loves it.

Ford should own up to the design flaws with the COP units and extend the warranty to the 2002 model year as well. These COP failures are also experienced on the V-8 Lincoln LS and the Jaguar 3.9 liter V-8s. Definately a poor design.

My second T-Bird
By Gordon

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

The car is a blast to own and drive. It has eye popping good looks and is comfortable for short drives of not more than 150 miles. It handles extremely well as it is well balanced and I have driving it at speeds up to 115 mph on the Nashville Speedway on the high banks, it ran well anywhere on the track, high, low, middle with no difficulty. A great summer cruiser for trips to wine country or cruising the coast line. It is fun, fun, fun.

Fast up and down top with the flip of one lever and power button on the console. I have got caught facing a fast moving rain storm and have stayed dry so far. Best of all is the good looks and admiring gazes from other cars as we cruise along at 65 mph and never seem to be in a hurry in it!

Seat bottoms could be longer, although I am only 5'10" tall the lack of support for the legs on a long trip is painful after about 4 hours. The folding hardtop would have been nice since the porthole top is a pain in the neck to put on and off so mostly it is off.