Used 2002 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe Convertible Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

BlackbirdSings
By DL McCleskey

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

It is a road-hugging, go-fast, FUN car to drive. I changed out the original Michelin sport tires for Michelin all-terrain and the ride is much smoother and quieter. The repair/replacement costs have been minimal and it is probably the most dependable car I've owned, and that includes a couple of Corvettes.

It is not a car for tall people. My husband is 5'9" and he bumps his head on the visor. I'm only 4'11" and it's perfect for me. I love this car and plan to keep it indefinitely.

Sporty
By FRED

Don't buy a 2002
By dondi

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased this Thunderbird for my wife as a "fun car" and gave it to her for Christmas. Within the first week we experienced COP (Coil on Plug) failures. Dealership repaired it under the used car warranty. The following May, with less than 1200 miles added, we once again had a coil on plug failure. (4 bad coils so far). The dealership once again repaired it. It is now 15 months later and we have two more coils failing. That averages out to 1 per thousand miles. Ford initially placed a 10 year/100k mile warranty on the 2003 only model. They have since added the 2004 and 2005 models. The 2002 model owners are left to pay for their own repairs. The COP units are the same for all years

Styling, the wife loves it.

Ford should own up to the design flaws with the COP units and extend the warranty to the 2002 model year as well. These COP failures are also experienced on the V-8 Lincoln LS and the Jaguar 3.9 liter V-8s. Definately a poor design.

My second T-Bird
By Gordon

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

The car is a blast to own and drive. It has eye popping good looks and is comfortable for short drives of not more than 150 miles. It handles extremely well as it is well balanced and I have driving it at speeds up to 115 mph on the Nashville Speedway on the high banks, it ran well anywhere on the track, high, low, middle with no difficulty. A great summer cruiser for trips to wine country or cruising the coast line. It is fun, fun, fun.

Fast up and down top with the flip of one lever and power button on the console. I have got caught facing a fast moving rain storm and have stayed dry so far. Best of all is the good looks and admiring gazes from other cars as we cruise along at 65 mph and never seem to be in a hurry in it!

Seat bottoms could be longer, although I am only 5'10" tall the lack of support for the legs on a long trip is painful after about 4 hours. The folding hardtop would have been nice since the porthole top is a pain in the neck to put on and off so mostly it is off.

Dream Come True!
By Lowell

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Always loved the early T-Birds but never was able to own one. Slip a Goldie Oldie in the CD player of my 2002 Bird and go cruising and I step back to my youth! Just a great car and I find something neat that I hadn't noticed before just about every time I drive it. I'm not the type of person who draws a lot of attention but this car sure does! The Thunderbird Blue with two tone interior & white hardtop is the perfect combination to take you back to the fifties. You would think that only older people would appreciate the retro look but you hardly ever pass a teenager who doesn't holler "Nice Car"! She's my baby!

Stlye, comfort and performance. Power convertable top is great! 5 seconds up or down and you're cruising in the wind!

Since they aren't being made anymore, I don't guess it would do any good to make any suggestions. Besides that, I don't have any!