Used 2002 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

Don't buy a 2002
By dondi

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased this Thunderbird for my wife as a "fun car" and gave it to her for Christmas. Within the first week we experienced COP (Coil on Plug) failures. Dealership repaired it under the used car warranty. The following May, with less than 1200 miles added, we once again had a coil on plug failure. (4 bad coils so far). The dealership once again repaired it. It is now 15 months later and we have two more coils failing. That averages out to 1 per thousand miles. Ford initially placed a 10 year/100k mile warranty on the 2003 only model. They have since added the 2004 and 2005 models. The 2002 model owners are left to pay for their own repairs. The COP units are the same for all years

Styling, the wife loves it.

Ford should own up to the design flaws with the COP units and extend the warranty to the 2002 model year as well. These COP failures are also experienced on the V-8 Lincoln LS and the Jaguar 3.9 liter V-8s. Definately a poor design.

My second T-Bird
By Gordon

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

The car is a blast to own and drive. It has eye popping good looks and is comfortable for short drives of not more than 150 miles. It handles extremely well as it is well balanced and I have driving it at speeds up to 115 mph on the Nashville Speedway on the high banks, it ran well anywhere on the track, high, low, middle with no difficulty. A great summer cruiser for trips to wine country or cruising the coast line. It is fun, fun, fun.

Fast up and down top with the flip of one lever and power button on the console. I have got caught facing a fast moving rain storm and have stayed dry so far. Best of all is the good looks and admiring gazes from other cars as we cruise along at 65 mph and never seem to be in a hurry in it!

Seat bottoms could be longer, although I am only 5'10" tall the lack of support for the legs on a long trip is painful after about 4 hours. The folding hardtop would have been nice since the porthole top is a pain in the neck to put on and off so mostly it is off.

Dream Come True!
By Lowell

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Always loved the early T-Birds but never was able to own one. Slip a Goldie Oldie in the CD player of my 2002 Bird and go cruising and I step back to my youth! Just a great car and I find something neat that I hadn't noticed before just about every time I drive it. I'm not the type of person who draws a lot of attention but this car sure does! The Thunderbird Blue with two tone interior & white hardtop is the perfect combination to take you back to the fifties. You would think that only older people would appreciate the retro look but you hardly ever pass a teenager who doesn't holler "Nice Car"! She's my baby!

Stlye, comfort and performance. Power convertable top is great! 5 seconds up or down and you're cruising in the wind!

Since they aren't being made anymore, I don't guess it would do any good to make any suggestions. Besides that, I don't have any!

Love at First Sight
By love at First Sight

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Saw ad in newspaper; thought about a T- Bird, but not affordable for me til this one came along. It was garage kept and pampered all the way with low mileage. Rides great and handles beautifully. Rear wheel suspension takes getting used to on wet roads. Turquoise feature color, with black interior. I get all kinds of compliments too whenever I drive it. Glad I made the decision;(my other is a 94 Cavalier RS and still running for more than 2001 miles). Hope I have the Bird for as long a time. This is a great ladies car!

Love that it's a two seater. No one likes to ride in the back seat of a convertible anyway. Best, back up sensors and warning message if anyone or thing is behind the car.

I haven't found anything not desirable about the car for improving on yet. I find the trunk large enough for my needs and the bench behind the seats is fairly roomy for me.

Not as good as it looks
By Bad oil leak

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

After owning the car for almost 3 years, it is fun to drive for sure, a head turner, but it has it's hand in my back pocket constantly. In the shop almost every 3 k miles for something or other. Electrical problems, look at replacing the battery every year. And now, for a car that's never been raced, Adult owned, a major oil leak at the main seal that would require an engine pull out. This car has 11,000 miles on it. I will live with the leak I guess and just drive the car into the ground. Ultimately disappointed.

Styling, fun to drive, head turner

Basic reliability or mine was built on a Friday.