2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:
Hard to stop
By jerryandev on 06/29/13 05:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible w/Removable Hard Top (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

After 11 years one Ford dealer new the answer. Our car motored at 25MPH (as if in cruise control ) ever since new, so it was very hard to stop . There are lots of them with the same problem . You need to change the Idle air control, about $200. Ford calls it IABP The dealer is Sunny Side Ford in Holden Ma. Scotty service manager .

Best Value Car I Have Ever Owned
By rsellson on 09/27/12 13:48 PM (PDT)

Bought this car because it is my wifes favorite color (yellow). She wanted a convertible and the color was right...that was 5 years ago. The car brings smiles to her, and when she is down-in-the-dumps, we put the top down and go for a ride. Best inverstment I've ever made. Happy wife...happy life! Now for me. Yellow is not my color but I would drive this car even if it were purple, orange and pink. What a nice driving car. A very good balance of power, handling, efficiency, driver fit, and looks. I have never been in any other car that evokes such a pleasant response from the general public. "Nice car!" I am now considering a second T-Bird for my commute to work. Maybe silver...

Still loving it
By fred154 on 08/27/11 12:33 PM (PDT)

I've owned this car for nearly nine years now, and I (and everyone else who sees it) still consider it a new car. It looks great and drives just as smoothly after 32,500 miles as it did when new. No problems with car whatsoever. I replaced the battery simply because I had a Firestone rebate that had to be used. This isn't a family car for daily use, but it is a great toy that still makes an old man feel like a kid again!

Ford let 2002 owners down
By Dot on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

I have owned this car since 2002. I had to replace all 8 coils. It has a design flaw. Ford recongnized this and recalled the 2003,2004 and 2005. Same problem, but decided not to do the right thing for us. I also had to replace the cooling fan 2x @ $900 @ pop A/C the condenser @ $1400 and the catalytic converter for close to $1000. The trim is chrome plated plastic, which is peeling now. It is a sharp looking car, but for a maintained car with 70,000 miles, I have put too much into repair costs. I will never by another Ford (and acronym for Fix Or Repair Daily)

2002 Ford Thunderbird w/hardtop
By 2002 Thunderbird on 08/27/10 02:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible w/Removable Hard Top (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I've had several cars that I've bought "NEW", and this beats all of them hands down. It's not a race car, but it will keep up with anything on the road. The gas mileage is good, the car is fun to drive, and, everywhere I stop, everyday, someone comments about what a nice car I have, EVERYDAY, for eight years that I've owned the car. That makes me a very proud owner. I recently had a man with a brand new corvette offer to trade me straight across. He was serious, but, I would have been the loser had I traded with him. I love my car and you couldn't trade me ten corvettes for it.

Don't buy a 2002
By dondi on 03/23/09 21:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased this Thunderbird for my wife as a "fun car" and gave it to her for Christmas. Within the first week we experienced COP (Coil on Plug) failures. Dealership repaired it under the used car warranty. The following May, with less than 1200 miles added, we once again had a coil on plug failure. (4 bad coils so far). The dealership once again repaired it. It is now 15 months later and we have two more coils failing. That averages out to 1 per thousand miles. Ford initially placed a 10 year/100k mile warranty on the 2003 only model. They have since added the 2004 and 2005 models. The 2002 model owners are left to pay for their own repairs. The COP units are the same for all years

My second T-Bird
By Gordon on 01/31/09 11:42 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

The car is a blast to own and drive. It has eye popping good looks and is comfortable for short drives of not more than 150 miles. It handles extremely well as it is well balanced and I have driving it at speeds up to 115 mph on the Nashville Speedway on the high banks, it ran well anywhere on the track, high, low, middle with no difficulty. A great summer cruiser for trips to wine country or cruising the coast line. It is fun, fun, fun.

Dream Come True!
By Lowell on 08/07/08 13:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Always loved the early T-Birds but never was able to own one. Slip a Goldie Oldie in the CD player of my 2002 Bird and go cruising and I step back to my youth! Just a great car and I find something neat that I hadn't noticed before just about every time I drive it. I'm not the type of person who draws a lot of attention but this car sure does! The Thunderbird Blue with two tone interior & white hardtop is the perfect combination to take you back to the fifties. You would think that only older people would appreciate the retro look but you hardly ever pass a teenager who doesn't holler "Nice Car"! She's my baby!

Love at First Sight
By love at First Sight on 06/10/08 15:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Saw ad in newspaper; thought about a T- Bird, but not affordable for me til this one came along. It was garage kept and pampered all the way with low mileage. Rides great and handles beautifully. Rear wheel suspension takes getting used to on wet roads. Turquoise feature color, with black interior. I get all kinds of compliments too whenever I drive it. Glad I made the decision;(my other is a 94 Cavalier RS and still running for more than 2001 miles). Hope I have the Bird for as long a time. This is a great ladies car!

I must have the lemon
By T-Bird RN on 03/22/08 07:56 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Neiman Marcus Edition 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I love my T-bird. Felt like the queen of the road. But recently have been having problems one day out of no where it overheated, 3 engine fans gone bad, then transmission leaking it was rebuilt. just the other day driving down the road felt like I was going over rumble strips car bucking took it back for check up, seems when they had it on the road test could find anything. I guess it did not act up for them. Suggested could be torque converter and to bring it back when it happens all the time. I thought ford was built tough. I have 6 other Ford vehicles with over 200 thousand miles and no transmission or engine problems. What happened to the T-Bird?