2002 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:
Don't buy a 2002
By dondi on 03/23/09 21:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased this Thunderbird for my wife as a "fun car" and gave it to her for Christmas. Within the first week we experienced COP (Coil on Plug) failures. Dealership repaired it under the used car warranty. The following May, with less than 1200 miles added, we once again had a coil on plug failure. (4 bad coils so far). The dealership once again repaired it. It is now 15 months later and we have two more coils failing. That averages out to 1 per thousand miles. Ford initially placed a 10 year/100k mile warranty on the 2003 only model. They have since added the 2004 and 2005 models. The 2002 model owners are left to pay for their own repairs. The COP units are the same for all years

My second T-Bird
By Gordon on 01/31/09 11:42 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

The car is a blast to own and drive. It has eye popping good looks and is comfortable for short drives of not more than 150 miles. It handles extremely well as it is well balanced and I have driving it at speeds up to 115 mph on the Nashville Speedway on the high banks, it ran well anywhere on the track, high, low, middle with no difficulty. A great summer cruiser for trips to wine country or cruising the coast line. It is fun, fun, fun.

Dream Come True!
By Lowell on 08/07/08 13:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Always loved the early T-Birds but never was able to own one. Slip a Goldie Oldie in the CD player of my 2002 Bird and go cruising and I step back to my youth! Just a great car and I find something neat that I hadn't noticed before just about every time I drive it. I'm not the type of person who draws a lot of attention but this car sure does! The Thunderbird Blue with two tone interior & white hardtop is the perfect combination to take you back to the fifties. You would think that only older people would appreciate the retro look but you hardly ever pass a teenager who doesn't holler "Nice Car"! She's my baby!

Love at First Sight
By love at First Sight on 06/10/08 15:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Saw ad in newspaper; thought about a T- Bird, but not affordable for me til this one came along. It was garage kept and pampered all the way with low mileage. Rides great and handles beautifully. Rear wheel suspension takes getting used to on wet roads. Turquoise feature color, with black interior. I get all kinds of compliments too whenever I drive it. Glad I made the decision;(my other is a 94 Cavalier RS and still running for more than 2001 miles). Hope I have the Bird for as long a time. This is a great ladies car!

Not as good as it looks
By Bad oil leak on 10/02/07 11:12 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

After owning the car for almost 3 years, it is fun to drive for sure, a head turner, but it has it's hand in my back pocket constantly. In the shop almost every 3 k miles for something or other. Electrical problems, look at replacing the battery every year. And now, for a car that's never been raced, Adult owned, a major oil leak at the main seal that would require an engine pull out. This car has 11,000 miles on it. I will live with the leak I guess and just drive the car into the ground. Ultimately disappointed.

Two birds in hand
By Barbie on 08/17/07 22:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

My wife came from a poor family and her dream has always been to own a Tbird. She purchased at long last and after many years of working and saving a 1955 which she drove often but mostly in the Summer and of course being an old car. I mean Old "6 Volt Generator" She decided it was time to buy a car that was more modern. She purchased the 2002 and never looked back. Although the cars are completely different, they are both icons in her life representing old values and new ideas as she likes to say. Of course the new Tbird is wonderful, just check any of the ratings on here!

Love it, love it, love it.
By derby on 07/03/07 10:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

A real looker. Haved owned for almost 4 years now and it still turns heads. Not one day's problems with it. Love the matching red leather. Kicks it by just tapping on the gas. Miles so low because I do not drive in snow or rain.

You gotta love it!
By TBird Lover on 06/13/07 19:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

This car is wonderful. Lots of power, great road feel, comfortable on a trip and a great roadster feel. The only problem I've had is the multi-disc changer and I'm sure that'll be fixed shortly. Ford put a lot of thought in this retro. I think they could have done a little better on the front end design, but it is still a beautiful car and I love to drive it. and even just look at in the garage. It is a member of the family!

I waited for this
By C. Evans on 06/09/07 05:56 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I actually waited for a two seat sports type car that had room in the front seat. The bird has as much room as I need. Also it is a head turner. Everwhere I go someone says something or points to it.

Nostalgia plus fun
By bud on 03/29/07 06:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

A lot of people complain about the price being too high and cite the car as costing $50K. I say to those people that I've got some swamp land for them to buy. I purchased this car for around $20K and the original sticker was $27K. For $25 K the car is an excellent sports car. It's not a Porsche but is quite nimble and has ample power with the small v8 equipped. For the money, it's a bargain. The fit and finish are quite excellent for a Ford. The reliability is not bad for a sports car of which cars in that category usually require a bit more than just changing the oil and filling it up.