Used 1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe

LX 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (50 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Best car I've ever owned!
By Jeff

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I bought this used with 10,000 miles on it. It now has 205,000 and still rides and performs like it did the day I bought it. Other than replacing the manifold, radiator, and torque converter, all I've done to it is change the oil and replace the plugs and wires. Great car!

Favorite Features

Roominess and styling.

Suggested Improvements

Get away from the plastic manifolds and radiators.

God I Miss This Car
By Dr. Brett Schmitz

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car in 2000 before I went off to college. It had 107,000 miles on it when I purchased it. Drove it back and forth 90 miles each way for 5 years of college. Awesome fuel mileage (just a tick under 30mpg) the entire time I owned it. Handled excellent and in the 6 years and 60,000 miles that I owned it I had to replace a mass airflow sensor, tires, and a ball joint. This car was phoenomenally reliable and fun to drive! My only gripe with the car the entire time I owned it was that the driverside window never like to roll up properly and eventually came out of the track. I wish I still owned this car but I unfortunately sold it to my neice and she crashed it 3 days later:

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage, suspension, price, reliability, quality, comfort of the seats, and of course turning radius! There are really too many positives about this car to list.

Suggested Improvements

Well unfortunately Ford no longer produces the 2 door awesome version of this car, but if they did(which is one of the suggestions), I would have to say fix the window issues and please make a CD player and sunroof standard on every one you make. Oh yeah and heated seats. Otherwise my best car ever!

Ten Years of Reliable Transportation
By Cathy Bruno

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Very comfortable, reliable transportation. Good body integrity. Any problems have been related to normal wear and tear. Spacious trunk.

Favorite Features

Style and size.

Suggested Improvements

Spacious trunk would have been made even better if back seats folded down to accommodate larger/longer cargo.

200,000 and Still going Strong
By Barbara

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car brand new in 1997 and just passed the 200,000 mile mark. The car starts every time, even if it sits for a month at a time without starting. The engine is fantastic and except for usual maintenance, the engine & transmission are in perfect condition. You can't beat an American made 8 cylinder. I have never owned anything but fords - 4 mustangs, 1 Thunderbird, 1 focus, 1 escape and next on to the fusion. Just wish it was 2 door.

Favorite Features

The engine

Suggested Improvements

This car no longer in production. I want the Fusion next, however, I hate 4 door cars.

Best Investment I Made
By S. Funk

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I am the original owner and have had no major problems, just normal wear and tear. I love the way my T-Bird downshifts automatically...great in traffic! The dealership offered a rebate which I invested in the dash...woodgrain...really enhanced the look. Also added a dash cover. A very dependable car that I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

Favorite Features

Great acceleration, comfort and body style. Very reliable car.

Suggested Improvements

Replace plastic parts with a more durable product.