1997 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

LX 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (50 reviews )
Great Car
By mprice on 12/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

The Thunderbird has spoiled. I fear I will never be able to find the balance of performance, confort, size, and appearance that this car give. That is for the $15,000 I paid for it. They do have rotor problems, that can be fixed for about $200. They also have trasmission TCC shudder that can be fixed fo $80. These are a problem, but ones I can live with for the price. One other thing, it is terrible in the smow!

My 1996 Bolic Green t-bird
By Gregory on 10/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

The car needed more power, i had the 3.8 v-6 that was one thing,Then when somthing went wrong w/ the eigine it was major, the front and rear main seals went bad (oil every where) it had 3 trans replaced the problem w/ the trany was when i would be going along at at crusing speed and floored it it would rev to 5 to 6 grand and then catch a gear and go. Thats my thunderbird i plan to buy anothor one in the next 2 yrs

Fun BIrd
By BigBird on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car new. I fell in love with it on the lot and purchased it that same week. This is my second T- bird. The first was a 1993 with a 3.8 V6. I have added a supercharger, after market chip and upgrade exhaust system. This is by far the best car I have ever owned. If Ford was still making these I would buy another one in a flash.

3rd Bird
By LX Sport V8 on 07/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

This is my 3rd T-Bird ('80,'88&'97). Love the cars. Since I am 6'4", I need a lot of room. This car has it! Head, leg and arm room! Plenty of power. The leather option is extrememly comfortable. And since there isn't many of them on the road, I don't feel like I'm driving a car which everyone has-like a Grand Am. Independent Rear suspension is awesome too - offers a great ride. Plenty of room in the trunk as well. Only one problem with the car - a defective intake. This caused my coolant to leak everywhere. This was a TSB put out by Ford and was covered by a special warranty (7 year, 100000 miles). Oh yeah, did I mention I get 22- 23 mpg too?

Great Car
By Victor Fonseca on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Great Car. Very upset Ford didnt stopped making the model after 97 and started with the new model in 2000 Car has great handling and speed, great ride comfort. All the controls are there and easy. There really isnt a word to descibe it but awesome. Last Car I'll but I'd rather restore it as it ages then buy a different car

Big fan
By Big fan on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I bought one used with 24,000 miles on it in June 1998, my second T-Bird. After 4 yearsand over 80,000 miles on it now, it's only been in the shop ONCE for anything other than routine maintenance such as tires, oil changes. Very reliable and a comfortable ride for commuters. Highly recommended if you can find one (you can't have mine!).

97 TBird LX Limited Edition
By robleyw on 04/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Possibly the best car I've ever owned. Smooth, powerful, comfortable - who could ask for more? A pity Ford stopped production of this design. The 4.6 V8 is silky smooth and has tons of power. The interior is roomy and seats my family of 5 comfortably. The car is simply beautiful and doesn't have all that "boy racer" stuff grafted onto it. It still turns heads after 5 years...

best bargain car ever
By eddiamond on 04/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Purchased car with 35k miles, now have 85k.A/c switch and 1 battery in 3+ years Rear whl drive, v-8 power,good balanced handling.Super comfort interior.Good mpg Had a 80 and 85 bird prior and this is by far the best of the three. It's no surprise that ford is having trouble now,the should never have stopped making this version.

My T-Bird
By Bradley Gilliam on 03/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I have had my car for a couple of years now and it has been really cool. It is great because it is a fast car but the insurance prices are still reasonable. It is a lazer red ninety-seven T-bird. Right now it has 72000 miles on it and drives just like it if it were brand new.

I LOVE THIS CAR
By James Mock I on 03/09/02 15:36 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

This is my third and favorite TBIRD to date... Compared to my 91 LX and 94 SC, this is an all-around improvement. I like everything about this model. Performance with the 4.6L V8 is great, fuel economy is at 23+ MPG, handling is great, OOOHMYGOSH comfort. No major problems mechanically. Very forgiving on the maintainence, not to say don't do it, but if you don't change the oil exactly at 3000-3500 miles there is no decrease in performance.