1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe - Consumer Reviews

LX 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (50 reviews )
I Love My Thunderbird
By Thundergirl on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I love my 1997 Thunderbird. Since I've brought my baby, I've had many offers from people wanting to buy it from me. My car and I have been through a divorce, a move to a different city and my baby have not stop for one moment. I love my car!!!

97 T-bird is a Great Choice
By 97TBIRD on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

The 97 Thunderbird is one of the greatest cars ever to hit the streets. I bought mine at a nearby dealership just last week at 154,000 miles. There was absoulutly nothing wrong with it. It is still strong and the V8 gives lots of power and even better performance. I wish that Ford would continue to make them. Retro can stay in the past!! I highly reccomend the Ford Thunderbird to anyone who wants a decent, reliable, and fun-to-drive car.

t-bird
By jerry blake on 05/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

this is one , that is a sleeper. it has the comford and power of a more powerful car. the mustang would it's only equal in the 4.6 power plant.

Surprisingly great
By Jazzino on 04/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car impulsively in 1997, but it turned out to be the best car I've ever had. This has been a pleasant surprise, given the problems some Fords have had. The only problem in seven years has been the need to replace a radiator hose twice. Otherwise, the only expense consists of my usual trips to SuperLube. I get good gas mileage and performance from the V6.. Everytime I get the urge to consider getting a new car, I just go for a ride in the TBird, and realize that I already have what I want.

Love it!
By Rob Taran on 04/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Nice looking car that is reliable, sporty and affordable. I would highly reccomend this car to others. Has alot of features for the money, and considering it's age has alot of modern virtues (except the underpowerd and un- reliable 3.8 V6)

Bad decision to buy this car
By Peter Wojnar on 03/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Stay away from this car if you are in the used car market. Suspension components wear out prematurely. The rubber components become brittle and fall apart. I've spent $800 changing suspension components. First suspension repair after only 3 years! Also, the transmission developed a leak. Ford must have admitted a problem regarding transmissions as they paid for 80% of the repair, even though the vehicle was out of warranty.

Too bad they don't build them anymore
By homeowner-commuter on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

With 110K miles, it still runs like a scalded dog. Very fast, good pick-up and tight handeling. The styling is classic and still gets complemens from total strangers. I've owned a '58, '72, ant this one. They were all great cars, but the '97 is "the best".

Ultimate Sleeper
By 97tbirdman on 01/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I few modifactions really wake up this car, it's a great sleeper. It handles quite well fo its size I woulfd reccomend 17' or 18' wheels, they help a lot. The V8 is very strong and I can really burnout with this car.

Super Thunderbird
By flyer0195 on 12/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

This is the best car I have ever bought. I bought it used in 1999 with 52000 miles on it. Now it has 129500 miles and has only been in the shop twice other than oil changes. Mine has the 4.6 liter V8 and at 104000 miles the air intake manifold started leaking antifreeze. This was a defect on this engine. It was made of plastic but Ford pays to replace it from a recall that came out. The new one is made of cast metal. The only other problem I encountered was a leak in the fuel line by the fuel tank and had the section of line replace. The front brakes went out at 116000 miles and I am still operating on the original rear brakes.

Fun, Fun, Fun...
By SPARTAN 2 on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

And well have fun, fun, fun til' daddy takes the T-BIRD away, fun, fun, fun... WOW!!! What a car!!! Who cares about gas milege!!! Why the heck did they quit making them!